Author Topic: Advice to discourage one cat from chasing another  (Read 1184 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: Advice to discourage one cat from chasing another
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 21:19:38 PM »
Thanks. I thought that was the best thing. She has just come back in now and the two boys are keeping an eye from the top of cat tree. No chasing though. She is quite relaxed, grooming herself. I think it will just take more time.

Riley and Digby are siblings and chase each other about and wrestle a lot together. They particularly like jumping out of the cubes and tunnels at each other. Poppy just tends to watch and keep clear. But she hasn't grown up with anyone so she is only just getting the hang of playing.

It is def a territory thing. I have had Feliway plug ins for the last 4 months but haven't got refills since they ran out a couple of weeks ago. I will order some more and see if that helps.

Thanks again

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 21:13:07 PM »
My Riley is the main chaser here too, if I see him about to pounce while Lu is minding his own business I just call Riley's name to get his attention or make a noise so Lu looks round and is aware that he is about to be hunted!

Do you have a Feliway plug in?  Lukey is a funny little thing and has issues about the freezer monster in the kitchen, he started getting a bit twitchy about going in the kitchen recently so I got a plug in again.   It has really helped his confidence, as I type he's attacking poor Riley's tail while he's trying to sleep.  He has also started initiating the chasing, I guess the difference is that my two have grown up together so the chasing is purely play whereas maybe your Riley is doing it as a territory thing?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 21:03:36 PM »
Yes I'd say let them get on with it, you may find also that a little while down the line it becomes a game and they charge around the house for one another - mine do.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 21:01:12 PM »
let them get on with it - they are simply working out who is in charge and it will settle down with time ... My lot get on like a house on fire but they still have occasional days when tensions arise - it is just that cats are not used to sharing a confined space (genetically that is ..)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Advice to discourage one cat from chasing another
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 20:56:42 PM »
Having just posted how well Poppy was getting on, Riley has started chasing her again and we've taken some steps back. I'm not sure if I should try to stop him by squirting him with water or just let them get on with it. He doesn't try to actually get her, just chase her away from me or out of the room. She isn't as scared as she used to be when he chased her as she doesn't hide, just sits outside the door and then comes in about 15 minutes later. Riley will let her stay in for a while and then chase her out. I think it is because Poppy has started playing so I have been playing with her as well as the boys.

Should I let them get on with it or intervene? Any advice appreciated.

Link to CatChat