Author Topic: Thinning fur  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Thinning fur
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:16:57 AM »
I too agree that if we have any concerns whether a cat likes it or not a vet visit is the order of the day. If there is a problem and you delay matters will only get worse and perhaps take longer to resolve.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 00:08:56 AM »
Riley had something similar sounding once, it was the 'chin fur' by his lip and it thinned out and went a bit shiny.  I bathed it with salt water for a few days and it seemed to grow back OK.  Maybe try bathing Robbie's chin (if he'll let you!) and if there's no improvement then I'd pop him along to the vets.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 23:57:11 PM »
i agree with desley

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 20:42:12 PM »
I would do a vet visit regardless of how little he likes going
Please spay your cat

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Thinning fur
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 16:55:15 PM »
Robbie, my gorgeous Tabby boy, seems to be losing some of his fur round his mouth.  2 months ago he was fine, a month ago it was beginning to look a bit strange and today when I looked at him closely there is a definite bald patch beginning to show with red skin underneath.   Is it something to worry about - he is still eating fine (if that ever changed he would be straight to the vet as he loves his food!!!!) but he did flinch slightly when I touched him there.  He has been giving Da Mouse quite a battering - his favourite thing is tug of war with it and this loss of fur does roughly coincide with getting that toy but I'm not sure if that is a coincidence.  Lilly has been fine with it and she isn't losing fur.

Given how much he hates going to the vet it's not something I want to subject  him to unless necessary.  Is it something I should be monitoring - Mouse is banned anyway until I get a new one and it will be a Christmas present so if it is that that is causing it there will be sometime for him to recover from it and for the fur to grow back. 

I'll try and get some pictures - it doesn't seem major at the moment but was noticeable today.  It's obviously not bothering him and he is otherwise fine - just want to make sure it is something I catch early if it is a problem. :)

Thanks,

Karen

Link to CatChat