Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 1138 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Cystitis
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 21:28:56 PM »
I read up on Swampy's cystitis on this site: http://www.petplace.com/cats/acute-cystitis-in-cats/page1.aspx

I know that frequent stress induced cystitis is sometimes treated with anti anxiety or anti depressant drugs if and when it becomes a real problem as some cats can't get rid of it or get it all the time if stressed, much like some women (bad design of urinary tract possibly). Like Gillian has said, cystitis is not usually bacterial in cats (unlike people) but antibiotics tend to be used just in case.  It's helpful to give the right wet food (to protect the kidneys too) and get them to drink as much as they will drink. I give glucosamine in his food once daily (same active ingredient as cystaid apparently). And Zylkene 75mg capsule to help the stress.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Cystitis
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »
Its more often than not, stress related so it is possible that another move could trigger it again, but if hubby's aunt and uncle make the move as stress free as poss, with feliway plug-ins and a room set aside for the settling in period, it should lessen the possibility of another bout of cystitis. The other thing I wondered about is if he actually gets on ok with his brothers? (just because they are brothers doesnt necessarily mean they will always get on) and that could be a source of stress in itself, but may resolve once they are all in a proper home environment.

Of course he may never have another bout, but certainly a wet diet (high meat/low or no grain) is recommended and if it did turn out he is prone to it then there are products that can help such as Cystaid (which is glucosamine based).

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Cystitis
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »
My hubby's aunt and uncle have been homechecked and reserved two 3 year old brothers from their local rescue. They can't collect them yet as have been told one of the boys has cystitis and have to wait until he is vet reviewed again next week. I haven't come across it personally and wondered if there was anything they should be aware of with this condition, i.e does it usually reoccur, will he need a wet diet, will he need to drink extra, can they give him things like glucosamine or cranberry juice to help with it? I read that there is a condition called feline idiopathic cystitis which may be stress related. If it is this that he has then I could understand that being in the rescue could have brought it on but does that mean the move to a new home could trigger it as well?

Hubby's aunt and uncle have both kept cats before but not for a while so thought I would check to see if there was any info that might help them.

By the way both boys were found dumped at a vets office.

Link to CatChat