Author Topic: freddys ears... hmmm sunblock?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
Re: freddys ears... hmmm sunblock?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
Well I've made myself super popular by putting the lampshade collar on his head to see if the redness will go down and to stop him scratching at his wee crusties and review it over the next day....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »
I would be concerned about secondary infection so would go to the vets.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
Replying to myself I have just read on a site to avoid zinc sunblocks.... does anyone know why and why would my allegedly cat and dog friendly sunblock have zinc carbonate in it??

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
freddys ears... hmmm sunblock?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
Okay so my boy fred is a pale ginger and indoor and loves to lie in sunpatches, anyway I was reading that being so pale he should possibly be sunblocked and a couple of weeks ago I bought this 'pet health sunblock for cats and dogs' in a stick form, white sticky stuff, anyway I smeared it on and it all looked very silly and left him worshipping the sun, a couple of days leter I notice that his ears look a bit pink and think oh maybe I'm just being all hyperparanoid because I'm looking for pinkess, so i use the block another 2 or three times over the following week, anyway in the last 10 days or so he is scratching his ears like mad, one is really red looking (the ear flap, he has scratched raw) and both ears have a sort of crust between his ear and head, now last time he had a crust it was on the back of his neck and my continuous checking every day caused it to fall off and ended up with months of problems healing (he ended up needing an operation to remove dead tissue and seal up the hole that was growing larger).
So half of me is concerned he has some issue with crusts and healing anyway and the other half of me think it might be an allergic reaction to the sunblock. I have had him for 3 years now and he has always sunbathed in sunpatches with no issues before....

So is it, more like to be allergy? Worrying reaction to the sun (on both sides simultaneously?) or something linked to his previous crusts. He absolutely detests the carrier(pees and poos in terror) so I'm hesitant about lugging him off the the vet if it's just an allergy. once the OH gets in I'll trim his claws too, at this rate he'll pull the ears off.

Has anyone else has an allergic reaction to sunblock? It has Butyrospemum parkii , titanium dioxide, zinc carbonate.

Link to CatChat