Author Topic: Cat flu - what would you do??  (Read 1165 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Cat flu - what would you do??
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 17:29:13 PM »
If it is cat flu it will go on for a few weeks but as Gillian says the stress of the move can trigger flu like symptoms for a few days but it is not necessarily cat flu.

Ideally yes, his cats should be isolated but he obviously isn't taking on the advice of his veterinary surgeon.  Its a really difficult call but as far as I can see you will either have to speak to him about it directly and provide information as he may not be 100% aware of exactly what cat flu is and how it can affect his and other cats in the neighbourhood and / or keep your furbabes in.

Not an ideal scenario... but you are a little limited as to what you can do.

Good luck!  and let us know how you get on with this one.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 15:38:10 PM »
We had the same with Henry, he caught the flu just after we homed him. He got it pretty bad and lost his miaow for a couple of days, but our other cat Charley never got so much as a sniffle and they arrived at same time.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:51:28 AM »
my cat Oscar had cat flu after we rehomed him and had him neutered in quite quick succession - he has never had another flare up in 3 years since though

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:24:13 AM »
I would have a word with him and tell him he needs to keep them in and secluded from the other cat. Get him some leaflets from the vets about cat flu also.

Surely the rspca would of known if they had cat flu?

If he dosnt get the message I would phone the rspca centre they came from and tell them whats going on.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
Are yours vaccinated against cat flu? That will give them some protection (although not 100% I'm afraid). Are his cats vaccinated? The stress of the move to a new environment can often bring on flu type symptoms (which they may have been incubating while at the rescue centre). Presumably if they are from rescue, his cats were vaccinated before he adopted them, in which case if it is cat flu, they may only get mild symptoms (not always the case though). Cat flu is contagious, but it would need pretty close contact with sneezed droplets, it just depends how likely you think it is that your cats will have close contact with his cats as to whether you let yours back out again. 

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Cat flu - what would you do??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »
Hello - I have a dilemma and would like to talk through it with someone more knowledgeable, if possible!

We have three cats who have access to our garden when we are at home - two of them have never left the garden but one of them often hops next door as their grass is often longer (and greener, perhaps, given as it's 'on the other side' . . . .  :)  . . .)  They only go into the garden when there is someone in - when the weather is okay, the doors are open all the time so they can come and go as they please.  We live in a very cat-loving neighbourhood - most of the houses in the street have at least one cat  - but this has never seemed to cause any problems and even means that we all look out for each other's moggies, many of whom are frequent visitors to our garden.

However, recently, following the death of one of their cats, our other next door neighbour has adopted a couple of young cats (7 months, I think) from the RSPCA. They are fairly timid but sit on the fence post between our gardens and stare rather nervously at our three.  I think they were adopted about 3-4 weeks ago. I spoke to my neighbour (a very nice chap but who has very firm opinions, a sense that he is always right and, to be honest, is the sort of person I would like to stay on the right side of) on Saturday and asked how they were settling in and he told me that they were pretty stressed out (they have an older, more established cat who is not taking the change very happily) and that the vet thinks they have cat flu.

Alarm bells started ringing as although I haven't ever had experience of cat flu, I thought that a) it was a communicable condition that required keeping affected animals away from others and b) it wasn't very nice. Given that these kittens were still roaming about the neighbourhood, I thought that he must be exaggerating the symptoms, or something.

However, yesterday afternoon, I saw one of the kittens on the fence post and went over to say hello. It's eyes were a bit runny and it sounded snuffly and actually coughed. At least, it made a really funny noise that may have been a sneeze or a cough - certainly not a noise I've heard a cat make before. I immediately scooted my three indoors and they spent the rest of the day staring forlornly out of the french doors.

The thing is, I am really cross that these kittens are spending all day outside when they are clearly unwell, and potentially putting other cats in the area at risk of catching whatever it is that they have. I am also really annoyed that my three are unable to go out in their garden - I am keeping them in because I don't want them catching anything!

I know that you will probably advise me to have a quiet word with my neighbour but although he can be very charming and our families have established a friendship since they moved here about a year ago,  I don't want to spark any problems between us. It's hard to describe; he's a nice chap but as I said before, so certain that he is in the right all the time that I don't think he would take kindly to any perceived criticism. I am a little surprised that they are allowing the kittens out but then I am not an expert and maybe they don't appreciate that there might be risk to other cats.  I don''t think that they are being cruel or neglecting their cats (they are 'cat people' and did all they could for their previous cat, including chemo, etc) but  . . . .well, I think they are being a bit inconsiderate.

There, rant over.

Hope everyone's well . . . . .

Link to CatChat