Author Topic: Footpad problem- anyone dealt with similar?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
Re: Footpad problem- anyone dealt with similar?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 17:59:18 PM »
Hi,
Just an update on Ronnie. His biopsy results confirmed that he has in fact got 'plasma cell pododermatitis'.

Unfortunately, it's an ongoing condition that'll need treating either with steroids or anti-inflammatories (sp?) when it flares up. Apparently, it's quite a rare condition and it's cause isn't really known.  :-:

He's been on Metacam for the last couple of weeks since his biopsy as he was limping and holding his paw up, but it's a lot better now so I'm reducing the dose with the vets consent and hopefully by next week he won't need to be on it again for a while.

I was wondering if anyone on Purrs has a cat with this condition and if they have any advice? I've read up about it on the Web but personal experience is always helpful.

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 19:57:00 PM »
thanks Sam, knew someone would happen along who knew what i was talking about ...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 20:36:40 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 19:34:07 PM »
You'll find a few more threads with a similar set of symptoms if you trawl through health and behaviour - it is a recognised condition which appears to respond to treatment well, from all reports... I just can't remember it's name ... sorry :-[

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
Footpad problem- anyone dealt with similar?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 19:08:57 PM »
Hi,
Ronnie is male rescue, approx. 2 years old. About two weeks ago, he started limping on his front, left paw. A visit to the vets showed that his main paw pad was swollen and harder than it should be. It was slightly red on one side and a 'greyish' colour compared to the rest of his footpads which are black. The vet thought it was possibly a puncture wound and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and prescribed a course of antibiotics. I took him back last week but there wasn't much of an improvement although he had stopped limping.

The vet suggested keeping an eye on the paw and if it became worse or he started limping again, she'd take a biopsy.  :scared:

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this kind of problem and if there's any advice or suggestions you could give. Am trying not to worry too much but it's troubling that the injury hasn't healed by now.  :-:

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Link to CatChat