Author Topic: Tilly's separation anxiety  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Tilly's separation anxiety
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 16:56:57 PM »
Poor girl, she just doesnt want to loose her mummy again.
Feliway mayhelp her settle or some rescue remedy

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 22:25:44 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 22:12:39 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think she deserved a big feast. poor little girl must have been starving  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 22:09:36 PM »
Mm, I know you're right, guys.  :hug: I just didn't know whether I should be working extra hard to make a fuss, but BC put it well.. Part of the battle is stopping myself trying to spoil her, I guess :naughty:

I've been a little tougher with her eating today and trying to get her used to normal rations again. Yesterday she was just hoovering up anything she could find and blew up like a circus tent. The vet squeezed her tum and she did the most enormous burp. "It's not all worms, then", the vet said.  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 21:43:49 PM »
I think it is a direct result of her being lost, she is scared that she may wake up lost again and by seeing you, she feels safe.

I am sure it will wear off once she realizes she is back at home with all her creature comforts and slave  ;D

It may take a while cos she has been gone for a long time and the weather has been bad and maybe she also had some bad experiences out there.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 21:40:10 PM »
PB I think you have hit the nail on the head with your thread title. I imagine it will take a while for her to get over her experience. She will settle down with time if you don't pander too much to her demands (hard I know!). Just give her lots of hugs and fuss when it is appropriate, but let her come to grips with being back home too. After all - you had the terrible taste to go off and leave her in some foreign and terrifying part of the world!!! She'll be fine in a few weeks time.  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Tilly's separation anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 21:24:21 PM »
For those of you who don't know, we have just got back our Tilly who was missing from home for 2 months. I had to trap her as there was no way I could get her back by another means. She was very, very hungry and quite scared and disorientated initially but soon remembered us and was very happy to be home again.  :)

Now for the problem...

I know it's only been a little over 36 hours, but she is now crying when she is left alone. She follows us from room to room and seems to need to have one of us in her sightline. She never was like this before.

Also, she seems to be having bad dreams - one minute sleeping soundly, then she howls and wakes with a start and looks round for reassurance.

Is this normal behaviour for cats that have been straying from home for this long?  :-: Will this fade away?  :shify:

Link to CatChat