Author Topic: do you give your cat treats?  (Read 6862 times)

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
Re: do you give your cat treats?
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 20:04:10 PM »
My girl loves Dreamies i only give her some after a weekly brush or her after her nails have been trimmed. don't want her to be getting hooked to them, especially the cheese ones.

Offline Owned_By_Napkin

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Napkin
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 00:11:30 AM »
I try to limit Napkin's treat intake but she doesn't liek that ONE BIT. She's a yeowler, so in order to keep her quiet I'll give her 2-3 pieces of treat at a time repeated about 4x instead of giving her a handful of treat each time. Her favorites are "Kitty Rewards" that seem to be exclusive to a local shop, and she's recently had some catnip bites, Webbox and malt bits imported for her and she goes insane for those as well. Funny about the catnip bits as she doesn't care for catnip toys one bit.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 13:36:29 PM »
:wow: My three also love Dreamies. I use them to get them in at night so that I can shut the catflap. So far none of them has come in through the wall though :P.

:rofl:

I love that advert  :evillaugh:

The look on Tiber's face is amazing though as he does everything as well as them and he looks at them as if to say 'are you two thick or something..SIT she said sit'

:rofl:

Offline Halimamau

• Kitten
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 13:15:55 PM »
 :wow:My three also love Dreamies. I use them to get them in at night so that I can shut the catflap. So far none of them has come in through the wall though :P.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 13:03:44 PM »
Callie and Monty love the Dreamies. The come running at the rustle of the packet and I make them do some things for them like dog training  :rofl:
It's quite funny to see two kittens and a GSD doing things for Dreamies. They can sort of sit and give a paw :)
The look on Tiber's face is amazing though as he does everything as well as them and he looks at them as if to say 'are you two thick or something..SIT she said sit@
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
I got some dreamies -Georgia loves them but Mr Miyagi treats them like i am trying to poison him and shoves them out of the way in corners :Crazy:

Offline shirleyp01

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: sammy and abbie
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
Samantha and Abigail love dreamies, they will only eat them if we leave them in certain places. Samantha likes to eat her treats on the stairs and Abigail will only eat them off the little mat that we have between the kitchen and living room.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 19:58:16 PM »
Merv, I'm surprised she left the crumbs  :naughty:  You need a tin or a cupboard to put them in.

Dawn, I think I've heard a few more people say their cat's don't like them either.  When my Smudge was alive he would never eat any treats I bought him.

Mary

Mary,

Daisy was the same,I tried her on a few of the same treats that Orbit like but she turned her nose up at them,when I gave her a couple of them yesterday it was like a child trying something for the first time.....Guess that's changed now! :scared:
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 19:48:43 PM »
Merv, I'm surprised she left the crumbs  :naughty:  You need a tin or a cupboard to put them in.

Dawn, I think I've heard a few more people say their cat's don't like them either.  When my Smudge was alive he would never eat any treats I bought him.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 19:42:49 PM »
Just got home from work to find Mistress Daisy has chewed the Dreamies packet & scattered them on the living room carpet! :evillaugh: The's crumbs everywhere!! ;D
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
[/center]
[img

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 16:03:20 PM »
are mine the only ones who don't like them  :shocked:

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 19:47:57 PM »
UPDATE....

Daisy LOVES Dreamies!!! :shocked:
[/center]
[img

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 19:37:05 PM »
Toby and Molly have read this thread and are now demanding to know why I haven't bought them Dreamies yet  :rofl:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 19:15:33 PM »
Daisy the Fuzzlebug has just had her first 'Dreamies'...she nibbled three or four of them but that was only cuz she's had a good feed!
Oh,And I've got her off the Go Kat & onto a 'Purina' dry as well as Sheba..(can't remember which one's,I can't move to go and check as she's asleep) now that I'm working.. :wow:
[/center]
[img

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 15:56:10 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: Another cat addicted to Dreamies  :hug:

Looking forward to the pics Hugh.

Love the sign on the fridge for Sumo  :Luv2: what's so great on here is that we can all makeeach other aware of things we never new.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline hugh

• Kitten
  • Slave to: sumo
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »
well excuse the pun but dreamies went down a treat!
thank you so much for the tip; dont get me wrong he still came running for the snickers wrapper but he also came running for the dreamies wrapper (dont sound too dissimilar!) so this is a good step. thanks for all the advice. i am in the process of finding my camera cable to give you all pics of the gorgeous boy, my old pics i realised were of him as a kitten which he certainly isnt anymore!! wouldnt want to fool you!
ive got a feeling my brother has nicked the cable so a call has been made and pics will be with you very soon!
i cant believe you guys found something else he liked! thank you
i also didnt know that chocolate was so harmful for cats. thanks for telling me. ive cut him off from all chocolate now as a rule and there is a note on the kitcehn fridge 'no chocolate for sumo'.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 20:36:45 PM »
Welcome Hugh.. :welcome:

Orbit loved his treats,namely Kitbits but Daisy doesn't care for them or any other treats.She does like the odd bit of chicken or cheese...
[/center]
[img

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 20:36:17 PM »
I gave Ella some chicken I was having with my dinner and she turned her nose up! :rofl:

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Misty
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 16:25:26 PM »
These are Dreamies:

You've got to get some  ;)

Mary

Thank`s
I`ve not seen them here in the supermarket or at the pet store`s here.
But Misty get`s raw chicken, fish, biff, and seafood. Along with my fish food mix, of seafood, veg`s, Vitim's`s, and garlic.
I keep fish as well.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 16:10:15 PM »
Aaw poor Milo can't have sausages?  Not even an itzy bit?  ;)

Our lot have only very occasional treats which includes about 1/4 of a sausage between 7 every so often.  Also Webbox, Temptations and esp Dreamies but not often at all except Fred who has 2 dreamies each day with his tablet......  Maybe twice a year or so a tin of tuna between them all as hooman tuna can cause uncomfortable fatty lumps over time if eaten  frequently.

None get milk as I don't want anyone getting the trots...... little bits of cheese are gobbled up on occasion .... oh and of course they have chicken every day..... I get to eat the veg and chips  :innocent:

I really cannot understand where Noni's tummy came from ......  :shify:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 15:51:33 PM »
Ours get temptations and dentabix

Human food they get:
Tuna
Prawns
Raw chicken & steak
Cheese
Butter
Squirty cream (this is the only human food Jess will eat)

If Milo had his way he'd also get:  :shocked: :tired:
Curry
Poppadoms
Chips
Burgers
Sausages

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 15:47:36 PM »
Chocolate is a killer for cats cos it gets stored in their bodies and has a killer ingredient if too much is had. Its also bad for dogs.

Gill's right - the ingredient is theobromide and although the coating of snickers is likely to be fairly low in that ingredient - over time it could build up to become toxic, so I'd avoid any form of chocolate. http://www.vets.co.uk/chocolate-poisoning-in-pets.asp

Mine like Thrive treats, raw beef cubes, Webbox, marmite (yes I know, not brilliant for cats either  :evillaugh: ) butter, philadelphia cheese........etc, etc  ;)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 13:16:50 PM »
Dreamies , webbox and temptations here - Thrive is I am feelin g fush but a £3 a tube its a rarity!

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »
Nope because she's just totally indifferent to them (she's not even a big eater in general to be honest - always been a dainty pickyknickers). She did get a cat advent calendar bought for her the other year - wasn't interested in the contents of that either.

Balls, bottletops and things to chase around though (especially if nicked from the dog)... yep.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 23:15:50 PM »
dreamies and webbox sticks here mainly as well as the odd treat fresh tuna, fresh chicken and a small piece of cheese

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 22:54:52 PM »
Dreamies are £1 at Tesco this evening.

Mary

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 15:43:10 PM »
Ours get thrive, dokas dried fish/chicken and cosma snackies for the upmarket low fat snack.      Then dreamies and webbox for the less healthy option!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 15:35:53 PM »
My girls didn't go mad for Dreamies, I heard so much about them here but they were a bit "Oh I will eat them then" They prefer Whiskers Temptations!

It's like prawns, my firends cat loves them buit the girls turned thir nose up!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 15:36:29 PM by Ella and Effie »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 14:52:31 PM »
Ours get Whiskas temptations, Dreamies, Kitsticks, Prawns, tuna, roast beef, chicken, cheese, butter, catmilk and all sorts of stuff they also eat the dog food when the boys are looking :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
These are Dreamies:

You've got to get some  ;)

Mary

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
Dreamies, Temptations and any sort of meaty stick type affair fans here ;) Oh and the odd bit of raw chicken too.

Dreamies are just sort of little pillow shaped cat treats, can get them in every supermarket I think, next to all the other cat treats.

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Misty
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
OK I`ve not seen these Dreamers treat`s, just what are they ?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
Jaffa and Mosi are Dreamies fans too.  Healthier treats include Nature's Menu, Thrive freeze dried treats and Jaffa's current fave Miamor Confect Chicklets (from zooplus).

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Elvis and Miki love Whiskas temptations... I also have cat treats from Pets at Home, catnip drops etc.  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 22:28:01 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Hugh.  Would love to see a photo of Sumo - sounds a right character.  We lovephotos on here and never get fed up of them.  We even have a cat photo show coming up soon here on Purrs.

Dreamies have been mentioned and they wil be mentioned every day on here as our cats are in love with them on here.  We even let each other know when tehy are on offer at different supermarkets - Morrisons have them on offer at mo for £1 - they are usually about £1.40.

Think you need to keep the snickers away from him and get him used to the sound of the Dreamies packet being opened instead  ;)

Mary

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 20:20:13 PM »
Mostly the odd cat treat and teeth biscuits :naughty: But Ella drives me made for cheese so she may get a smidgen sometimes!

Offline Leighs Gang

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arnie, Sparkle & Dora
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 20:01:51 PM »
Sparkle loves a bit of fillet steak, scampi, prawns, tuna but she rarely gets it (only as a very special treat)  Dora loves Tuna and Whiskas temptations and Arnie loves his felix milk though for some reason he likes it to be left in the bowl for atleast 12 hours before drinking it  :-:.  I tend to only treat as a 'treat' if you get what I mean as they all have the ability to be very 'fussy' and I figure too many treats will make that worse  ;)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 17:46:15 PM »
I wouldn't give chocolate as Gill says, although Sophie does have a few cake drums every so often ,but at 17 it's a small treat for her and a very small amount of milk once ery couple of weeks.
Winston on the other hand always has fish or prawns on Saturdays -none of the others like any of the stfff I mentioned, so have a little chicken very so often.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 16:23:00 PM »
Chocolate is a killer for cats cos it gets stored in their bodies and has a killer ingredient if too much is had. Its also bad for dogs.

Cats have a sweet tooth as you have discovered but I would agree that you should stick to cat treats and they also should be limited cos they help to add on the pounds.

Tuna should be only used limitedly as apparently its very additive and tinned fish in brine should not be used.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 16:22:00 PM »
Chocolate isn't advised for cats at all. There's a treat called Dreamies that's just started being advertised on TV (you can get the beef flavour for a pound in my local Tescos at present) and our cats love them. :) In moderation of course!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat