Author Topic: Advice please on long holiday!  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Advice please on long holiday!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 18:09:43 PM »
So good to know someone else has did it and their cats were ok.

I have done it for many years, once a year for about 3 weeks and twice a year for about 17/18 days. Very occasionally  (about twice in more years than I can remember) one may be ill but the carer knows to take any cat to the vet at the first sign of a problem. As long as you give advice not to wait and see but to take a cat to a vet immediately it is suspected there is a  problem all should be well.

I know some people don't go on holiday if they have pets for years, but I am afraid myself and my husband need holidays to unwind and relax.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 17:20:01 PM »
Thank you so much Ela - you have really put my mind at rest.

At least I know if it doesn't all work with boyf that I can get a cat sitter in twice a day. In addition to that I could have my brother and mum pop up a few hours at a time to keep them company - I think I was just worried it would be too long!!

So good to know someone else has did it and their cats were ok. I know all cats are different but my two are pretty laid back!

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 15:30:10 PM »
If it does not work out with your boyfriend, someone who comes in twice a day should be fine. I go away a few times a year and one of the holidays is 3 weeks, I also do cat care myself, turn on radios/tv. a.m. turn off p.m. close curtains and put different lights on at night if the owner wants me to. We also clean up so there are no cat hairs all over the place and the home is always spic and span at all times.

I have to say that yes I feel guilty for leaving my cats but I and my husband need to get away also.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 13:58:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone - there has been some progress in that I pointed out to boyf that he is away for a week in Copenhagen and then likley to go home for at least six weeks next year so would he look after the cats when I am away - he said yes - I just need to explain its for three weeks and not the week he thought.

He made an interesting point which assured me a bit more - he said that he makes a big effor to look after them when I am not there as it is his job to look after them properly as God is watching (he is a very religious) so it turns out that he let them sleep in the bedroom beside him when I was awy - shock gasp horror!!

Edgar was even allowed on the bed - on the understanding he didn't snore - seems Edgar understood as he was quiet all night lol!! I did have a little chuckle to myself!!

So fingers crossed that will work out - as it would be the idea solution im just worried we end up away at the same time!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:48 AM »
We ended up being away last year for 17 nights (horrendous 30 hour delay added on to being away 15 nights) and we had our cat sitter come in twice a day.

My Dad spent every night coming to ours and watching TV with Jess as well, and at weekends my parents and sister came in to have dinner with him.

For us this worked well but Jess still got hideously stressed by the whole thing and we've not been away for longer than 6 nights since as I've been too worried to leave them. Next year though we have booked to do to Dubai and I am stressing already about leaving the boys, I just hope Milo will help keep Jess calm this time.

We holiday considerably less now we have the boys much to my Hubby's disappointment.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 00:32:24 AM »
Ok - fair enough, maybe a bit too far to travel on day-to-day basis.  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 00:30:36 AM »
Oh thank you very much - but I am in Edinburgh lol - so not close by at all!!

But thank you for the offer!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 00:25:35 AM »
Where do you live? If near south London I would come every/every other and look after them. I know this is probably not enough but thought I'd offer.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 00:12:48 AM »
Hmmmmm don't think thats an option for me - I love travel and holidays. If it wasn't for the cats I would be away a lot more - lol - so nope staying home i not an option! But thanks anyway  :thanks:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 23:47:14 PM »
I havent been on holiday since Kocka walked into my life so now about 14yrs..........so my answer would be of course, dont go away!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 23:09:59 PM »
Its not really an option for them to move in with anyone - Brother is in a rented flat with his partner who terrified of cats. My brother also seems to be allergic to these two - he actually has a cat allergy but somehow didn't have any probs with Bertie. So them at his is a no no and as for my Mum's - her husband is a  (hmmm fill in the blank) and wouldn't allow it - also they have a four year old who like to be next to them all the time - Edgar just tolerates it but Oscar doesn't!

I am not sure if they have been in a cattery before - they are both 12 and Edgar needs daily medication and Oscar is nearly blind - so they do take a bit of fussing! I would hate them to be somewhere they didn't like although I had wondered if a cattery would be best for them being alone so long.

I am not sure if it would be an option for a cat sitter to stay over night - ( I didn't know they could do that!) although I could maybe bribe my brother to stay a few nights - I am sure a cash incentive would make him more likley to stay. I used to use the fact that I had satelite as a seller but now he has cable TV that doesn't work the same!

Hmmmm I will need to get my thinking hat on - I think with the exception of boyf possibily being around - then it may have to be a cattery just to save the worry about them being alone a lot and left with dirty litter. My friend used a cattery nearby for her spoilt persians and she said it was great - she came home to a postcard from them also on their holidays and they had heated beds etc. I just worry with their age and the fact they are rescue furbabes they may hate it - arrghhhhh if I only I could take them with me!!!   :Luv2:

p.s - apologies for my appaling spelling and grammar use on my original post - this is being done inbetween stripping wallpaper and thats what I get for not proof reading it!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 22:49:07 PM »
If you could afford it could you perhaps have a cat sitter pop in some days and stay over on others?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 22:48:07 PM »
My own personal preference is cat sitter for shorter holidays and cattery for longer holidays BUT that's because my two are still babies in big boys bodies and I wouldn't trust them for three weeks!  Oscar and Edgar are hopefully a bit more well behaved now they're that bit older? Do you know if they have been to a cattery before?  That would also influence my decision as I know that my two hated being in the cattery and were mcuh better when left with a pet sitter.

If your boyfriend will be there but not responsible for them then at least they'll get the company from him and the essentals from the pet sitter whether that be your Mum, brother, pet itter or a combination of all three!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 21:51:28 PM »
could they go to your brothers or your mums house?

or could brother/mother/friend actually move into yours?

not much help but my brain isn't working

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Advice please on long holiday!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 18:42:48 PM »
Hello all,

I am hoping to embark on a two year course next year which should hopefully improve my career options but means I will be skint and going no where for at least a couple of years!

So a girlfriend and I have booked a three week trip around the states - but now I fact the cat sitting problem!!

The longest I have been away is two weeks but that was when my brother lived in-house - the longest I have actually been away with no one in the house is 4 days and my brother popped in every day and stayed over one night  - not really practical for three weeks.

My boyf may be here and will be in the house but to be honest he is totally clueless with the cats and point in case being I was in a conference for two nights and came home - the cats had been fed but he had forgot all about the litter trays! I also suspect his nose will be so out of joint about the holiday that he may not want to look after them for three weeks - he likes them but certainly wouldn't choose to have them lol!!

So whats the best option, in folks opinion, for my furbabes for the time I am away. I know a cat sitter is the best option as they willl still be at home but I am not sure how could it would be for them only having someone pop in twice a day to feed them etc - and I can just imagine the state of the house with cat hair after three weeks. I could try and wangle a combination of my brother, cat sitter and Mum popping in but just worry it would be too long for them without real company.

The other option is a cattery which I know is not great as they are out the house but may mean they have more human contact?

I feel so guilty about the fact I will be away so long - it was all did rather spur of the moment and I guess I forgot that three weeks is a whole week longer than two weeks - a long time for a cat!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat