Author Topic: why  (Read 1974 times)

Offline JMC

• Adult Cat
  • Jinni - my bridge baby
Re: why
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 19:59:19 PM »
One of mine (Dandee) will drink from the hand basin in the bathroom.   The others drink from their own water bowl and also the dogs.
What has always fascinated me is when they jump on to the cars and lap away at the bonnet

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 18:02:19 PM »
Hobbes has just discovered the kitchen sink and the taps and is fascinated by the running water. maybe he will use the expensive water fountain I bought for Dylan for Christmas which he then totally ignored (in fact he took the huff with me because of it)  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 17:15:29 PM »
Good question, I've observed my bengals with water over past few months and I must say I think its to do with the movement.  They have a running fountain and when its out of action for some good intensive cleaning I've noticed they 'wipe' the top of the water in the bowl before they drink it.  Its very strange to observe  :evillaugh:

The wiping thing is to do with cats in the wild having to scrape algae and other planty stuff off the water before drinking it so I've been told. With your cats being bengals, maybe the programming isn't as "diluted."

But there is an element of the movement being important.(And it again goes back to "the wild!")Basically running water ie:streams,brooks are usually fresher so cats are drawn to them as opposed to stagnant water.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 17:14:13 PM »
I agree with linda, the movement of tap water and the taste of rain indicates freshness.

Have you tasted water left in a plastic beaker for a few hours? Its nasty! (Well in Essex it is)

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 16:22:06 PM »
My Harry drinks water from anywhere he finds it! The bath, sink, taps, cups, jugs oh and the toilet. Although I don't think he drinks out of his water bowel? Maybe as they are getting water from a different source they feel they don't need to drink from the water bowel?

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 16:16:25 PM »
i asked the vet and he said it is becuase they dont like chlorine in our water so they have rain water
then why does she have running tap water

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 21:23:42 PM »
Good question, I've observed my bengals with water over past few months and I must say I think its to do with the movement.  They have a running fountain and when its out of action for some good intensive cleaning I've noticed they 'wipe' the top of the water in the bowl before they drink it.  Its very strange to observe  :evillaugh:

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
why
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 21:02:29 PM »
why does my cat only drink rain water or water from a running tap  :-:

Link to CatChat