Author Topic: What do you think of this??  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: What do you think of this??
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 09:27:38 AM »
I agree it needs to be done, however by actually advertising in the waiting room, if someone had borrowed a pet and it needed to go to the vets, would they stay and risk the pet was not chipped once they had read the notice? Perhaps the poster should be in the actual surgery.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 01:35:14 AM »
I would like to see this catch on at all vets

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 23:24:29 PM »
Yep signed the my moggy microhipping one i think that is the one you are referring to ?

People who refuse then the cat should be retained in my opinion as they clearly have something to hide ?
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 23:06:21 PM »
I think that is a fantastic idea its just a shame more vets dont follow suit and make it a routine thing. Maybe if we all mention it to our own vets it might plant a few seeds  :shy:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 22:57:41 PM »
Sue at MyMoggy does have a similar petition - so if you haven't signed, go to her site and sign.

My only concern is what they will do if someone refuses - it is obviously dodgy if they wont.
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 22:25:15 PM »
Is it not the law that a cat forms part of your property now ?..i can not remember if the law was changed recentlt ..

If that is the case then they should definetley scan all cats to make sure that owner is correct and that details are correct !

Good post Des !..I reckon we should petition for it ...
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 21:50:23 PM »
Its an absolutly fantastic idea and ALL vets should do the same with the amount of dogs and cats that go missing.......we had in the past and recently actually asked our equine vet if this was something that they could do as so many horses go missing and are stolen and sold on at horse sales. They WONT DO IT because its too time consuming. Whats the point half the time of paying for all these extra safety measures when the practices wont help GRRRRRRRR

I have a friend whos horse was stolen over 7 mnths ago and is still missing and if she was scanned at anytime as a new equine client of theirs then maybe some of the stolen ones would be returned to their mummys

Maybe we should petition to make it a law

why would anyone refuse unless they have something to hide

good post

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 21:32:58 PM »
I think its a good idea, my mum took a stray cat that was wandering around my house for a couple of days, when she took her to the vet's the cat was scanned and did have a chip. The vets phoned the owners to tell them their cat had been found, and the owner said we don't want her and refused to have her back. My mum was heartbroken that someone could do that and decided to keep her herself. 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 20:47:29 PM »
I think it's a good idea.  I can't think of a reason why someone would refuse to allow their pet to be scanned? 

unless of course they had nicked it!!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 20:40:55 PM »
I think it's a good idea.  I can't think of a reason why someone would refuse to allow their pet to be scanned? 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
What do you think of this??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 20:04:53 PM »
I actually should have questioned this, but it didn't occur to me till hours later!! Was at the vets earlier, and I had to use the other branch, and they had a poster up saying this (words might not be exact now!!).
It is policy to scan all new pets (can't remember if it was new clients only or not) for a microchip upon registration. If you refuse, then we can refuse to accept you as a client, and the pet as a patient.

There was a bit more to it, but that is the general gist. I am glad they are scanning as standard now, hopefully if someone adopts a 'stray' and takes it for checkup etc, it should be scanned and if a lost pet with a chip, hopefully can be reunited. The thing I will question on Thurs (if I remember) is what will they do if people do refuse?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat