Author Topic: newbie here - with important question  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: newbie here - with important question
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »
Fingers crossed!!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 20:40:43 PM »
Sad you are so far from Ron but very exciting news  ;D

Offline ringtree

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 20:13:26 PM »
hi all! Just to advise I haven't heard from Ron yet- but he is actually in Portslade which is miles and miles from where I live and I don't have a car.  However, I have contacted another cat shelter called City Cat Shelter and he needs a volunteer for Sunday mornings.  He asked me when I last had a tetanus injection and I actually don't know.  He wants me to do just a couple of hours to see if I like it and then if I do it will be regular and to check out the tetanus thing..Anyway, this may cure me of my urge for another furry feline.  Oh and I feel I haven't described Phoebe very well beause she is a lovely cat - very affectionate, purrs all the time and dribbles when she is really happy when you stroke her - which can be hazardous if you are near a keyboard at the time!  They do eat together and occasionally sit on the same sofa together but her jealousy just gets in the way sometimes!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 19:15:56 PM »
Aww, it would be wonderful if you could help Ron, he does so much wonderful work.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 17:33:12 PM »
Thats great cos I am sure he would like some help  ;D

Offline ringtree

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 17:31:21 PM »
Thank you, I have seen the appeals for him on this site - I will give him a call after the new year.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 17:14:33 PM »
Ringtree, you should contact Ron at Lost Cats Brighton (if you type that into Google, his site comes up).

;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline ringtree

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 17:07:04 PM »
Yes, may be I can cure myself by doing some voluntary work for a bit. Any help needed in the Brighton area?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 15:23:43 PM »
WElcome to Purrs - I personally wouldn't get another cat, and a dog might not help matters much either. Sadly, you do get some cats that dont tolerate other cats living with them, and it would be unfair to get a cat for it to have to go back, and if Phoebe doesn't like other cats, it wouldn't be fair on her. If you are broody and have some spare time, you could help out at your local cat rescue. Or sponsor a cat, that way you are helping a homeless cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline ringtree

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 14:54:39 PM »
I think you may be both right and that it may not be fair to intrioduce another cat - I was wondering if there was a way around the potential problem.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 14:46:52 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I think it is always very hard to know what is right to do but from what you say about the two cats you have, my inclination would be to leave the status quo as it is. You say you live in a small flat and therefore two sounds like a good number.

I would also ask yourself why you want to add to the household, for your benefit or the current cats.

I am sure you will get other opinions on this but I added a new pair to the pair I already had just under a year ago and life between the four is not as good as it was when I just had two. There are now two separate pairs that do not like each other and last night had just started to doze off and there was trouble. By the time I got downstairs one was still howling in the hall and due to the fur on the floor and the squeal I heard I suspect that one of my big cats was attacked by one othe the birmans again.

Others on Purrs have cats that all get on wonderfully well and mine only have occasional problems but sometimes it just doesnt work so when you have an established household and they are all older rather than kittens or very young cats, its a big step to take to introduve another. I certainly would not introduce a dog, but thats just my opinion.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 14:41:22 PM »
Hi

You are definitely in the right place. I'll be honest - I think only you can truly answer this question. I think a dog may be a little extreme and if you feel 3 cats may be too much, a dog and 2 cats definitely will be. You could get yourself a young cat, get some feliway diffusers and perservere, but if Pheobe was upset at Mushroom you may be fighting a losing battle by thinking you can successfully introduce another cat and Pheobe be happy.

If you know in your heart that Pheobe won't be happy then don't upset them - 8 and 9 is kitty cat middle age and to upset them now may be unfair, but if you are confident you can persuade Pheobe a new kitty is a good idea then go for it

I've just realised that there is no definite answer in there for you - I'm sorry but I know Archie, my permanent can accept cats at the moment - he's only 10months old, but if ever he was very upset I would never try to introduce anymore (I foster cats)
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline ringtree

• Kitten
newbie here - with important question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 14:27:30 PM »
Hi
I discovered this site yesterday and I would like to say hi to you all.  I have been proudly owned by two cats  for about 8 or 9 years now.  Phoebe my black and white moggie came first - and a year later I found Mushroom,a pretty pale tortie half Persian as I though Phoebe should have a little friend. However,it was  hell at first and Phoebe took huge exception to the imposter.  She was very upset.  However, 8 or 9 years later we are living in harmony - mostly, but Phoebe still bullies Mushroom occasionally, sometimes to get attention from me and sometimes from jealousy.  Phoebe doesn't get on with other cats either, I have been told she bullies a neigbour's cat and is petrified of another.  I think she over identified with me when I first had her and she doesn't think she is a cat.

However, I am feeling broody again and I am considering adopting a homeless cat - preferably a pedigree or a half persian like Mushroom.  Mushroom is very gentle and patient and bullet proof, although very sensitive at the same time. She hero-worshipped Phoebe at first and now she knows when Phoebe is in a monstor-mood. My question is should I?  Do you think Phoebe would cope?  Also I live in a small flat with a garden and maybe three cats is too much?  Or perhaps I should get a little dog?  I haven't introduced them to dogs at all but maybe Phoebe would not be so jealous of a dog.  Or perhaps I should leave the status quo. Any advice would be welcome.

Link to CatChat