Author Topic: Any advice on letting cats out after you have moved?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
Re: Any advice on letting cats out after you have moved?
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 13:44:55 PM »
Just an update.....................

I tried Cookie on the harness.........well,  she was like a wild animal.  She thrashed herself about. So,  I had to take the harness off.
I brought her in and let her calm down a bit as she was in a major mood with me!   I didnt wanna let her out while she was freaked out in case she thought sod you, im off.

I let her and Jessie out yesterday.    I felt sick as I saw Cookie jump of over the neighbours fence and onto the bridleway that leads off to the fields.    Within about 10 mins she was back.   I nearly cried with happiness and pride cos I felt really proud of her (sad I know).

She has gone out through the front of the house (where the cat flap is) and has found her way to the back garden (where for some reason they both prefer to come in through that way so we are going to get a flap put in there too for them)

They have both been out for a few times since and come back within 5 - 10 mins.    I know this coming back so soon wont last for long with Cookie as she nornally likes to disappear for a few hours.

Thanks to you all for your replies.    x x

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 15:13:01 PM »
I have to be honest and tell you that I let my 3 cats out within a week of moving house.  I was planning to leave it 4-6 weeks but they settled and bonded with the new house incredibly quickly, plus I know their personalities and their love of food so I knew they would come back when called - they always have.  I basically took it in stages.  I have no back garden but a large yard and gated access to a large alley which is used as a communal meeting place for the residents of my street and has benches, hanging baskets, flower beds etc but is alley gated so can only be used by those that live there (who are all fortunately cat lovers).

The first time I let each cat out individually under my supervision for 5-10 minutes.  Then I took them back inside.  I did this every day for a few days until they stopped being keen to come back inside but showed signs of wanting to explore further.  Then I let them out together as I know that the boys especially like to stick together when outside.  I always left the back door open (despite having a catflap in it) in case they got freaked - which they did several times in those early days as they met the dozens of other cats that live in my small street.  At first (6 weeks or so) I only let them outside when I was home in case they got into trouble and I came running to rescue them from other cats numerous times as there are a couple of bullies out there and my cats are wusses  :innocent: It was spring so that was ok - wouldn't fancy having a door open all winter though!!

I was worried that they would get lost at first, especially as one of my boys was only 8 months old at the time and a bit of a jump first/think later type, but the older male stuck with him when outside and my female never goes far away. 

I think that the first few trips outside supervised are really important to get your cat used to the smells of your new garden etc so I would try and use a harness if I were you, although they are not inescapable.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 00:35:22 AM »
Hi Julie

I just want to say, as I have just moved home and bought a house from a cat owner whose beloved cat was let out and made its way back 'home' (to mine) twice.  His journey from his new house back to mine was approx 2-3 miles!  Goodness knows how he knew the way.  Luckily for him I am a cat lover so we managed to get him back home twice and he is now under house arrest for a longer period.  The vet advised to take the cat out on a harness for a good few weeks to accustom himself to his new territory. When ready to let him go out on his own, do it on a day when his owner would be home all day and to let him out hungry then keep calling him back in for bits of food. 

Just in case, I am keeping an eye out for him in a few weeks time..I suppose every cat is different though, a cat I used to have when I moved about 3 times previously was let out and returned with no problem.

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 23:28:28 PM »
we are trying to encourage our cats to go out of the front door as just at the end of the street there are fields. We only have a tiny front garden so there isnt much they can explore in there.

The back garden is bigger and fenced off but its not very high fencing so they can jump over it into the neighbours gardens. At the side of my neighbours gardens there is a bridleway that leads up to the fields but this is where most people walk their dogs.....and there has even been horses/riders trotting on there.

Maybe Cookie will be ok and will come back if I let her go........im just worried in case she doesnt.   I suppose until I have let her go a few times and she comes back I wont know.........its just letting her go thats worrying me.

When we let them out from kittens we have never had any problems with them going missing.   Maybe its me being a scaredy cat??!!!

I think I will try the harness for a few days,   then for my own piece of mind I know she will be used to the front of the house or the back garden

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 23:18:11 PM »
I know they say 4 weeks but I have found that a few days is enough. I tried a harness with kylie once and she went mental - If the garden is fairly enclosed, they are unlikely to go far - or maybe I have just been lucky - I have moved with kylie 3 times without any problems  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 23:12:36 PM »
Thank you.............I will try her with one.   Dunno what I will do if she wont have it?

Wish me luck!   

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 22:59:58 PM »
You could try a harness, Tiggy has been indoor/outdoor for all of her adult life until recently.  I once tried putting a harness on her when we moved to try and intoduce her to the garden but she was having none of it.  She just flattened herself to the ground, refused to move and gave me a filthy look!  If Cookie has worn a harness before or will accept wearing one then I think it's an excellent idea as she will be able to get used to her outside surroundings before she goes off on her own.

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 22:33:28 PM »
Ive had the address changed on the microchips,  put new labels on their magnets,  had a cat flap fit,  let them out about 10am this morning.....they were back in by 10.05 !!!

Jessie isnt worrying me,  its Cookie.     Jessie had a mooch around about 5 doors up and soon came running in when a neighbour came out of their house (I left the door open so they could get in easily if scared)

Its Cookie that worries me.   Shes the wanderer.     And she wanted to be off without any sniffing and getting to know her surroundings.

Do you think a harness would be a good idea?   That way she has no choice but to get used to the outside of the house for a few days before I let her go?   I know its not like itsthe 1st time shes ever been out.......but its new surroundings. I cannot tell you how much im sooooo worried that she wont come back,  or wont know where to come back to.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 22:26:17 PM »
Hi Julie

Keeping them in for five weeks is as good a start as you could get, the number of people that let their cats out so soon after moving astounds me.  Hopefully they wil have a good idea of their surroundings and will have been getting their bearings by looking out all the windows.

The only suggestion that I have is to let them out before they have eaten so they can be easily tempted back and also while it's light so that if they did go too far you'll be able to look for them.

Are they chipped?  If so have you informed the microchip people of your new address and contact details?  Do they wear safety collars? If so are the details on the tag correct?  There's probably not much more you can do apart from worry about them!

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
Any advice on letting cats out after you have moved?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 22:06:23 PM »
Hiya,

We moved into our new house 5 weeks ago.

My 2 cats Cookie & Jessie have not yet been allowed out.......until this morning.

Jessie was a bit cautious and had a good sniff around.
Cookie.........threw caution to the wind and try to run off over my neighbours fence.   I grabbed her and brought her inside.
My heart was pounding and I felt sick.  They had only been out for about 5 minutes.

My OH thinks I should have just let her go.     Im sooooooooo worried she will get lost and not know where she now lives.
If she doesnt sniff around and get used to outside the house how will she know where to come back to?????

I know I have to let them but how do I go about it without losing them??

Any advice will be appreciated.........please?

Link to CatChat