Author Topic: Outdoor cat shelter  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Outdoor cat shelter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 22:56:21 PM »
would he not use a cat flap fitted to the side or door of the shed?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 20:16:18 PM »
Just thought I would give an update - old lady round corner would love him, Ginger is not to keen!!! He will go in her house but will panic if he is shut in, and always comes back to us!  Kennel was well padded out with hay, new bed and going to get a heat pad as well for him.  However, as the temperature is that cold and it is snowy as well now I've managed to get the shed cleared out and wedged open and a bed put in there so he can get some more shelter and not get snowed on!  Didn't really want to have to do this for security reasons but the weather is exceptionally cold at the moment.  Not sure it will be much warmer for him (well, it will be when I get a proper set up for him at weekend) but it may be slightly better than at the moment.  He's very hardy and obviously used to cold weather as he has gone very stocky and developed a very thick bushy coat. :)

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 19:24:03 PM »
You may find a plastic strip curtain especially for a dog kennel useful. I got a couple from Zooplus:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_kennels_flaps/dog_houses/woody/95890

My shelter has cat-flaps however my feral doesn't seem to know how to use them yet so I have propped one of the flaps open and placed the plastic curtain sort of over the top of the open cat flap - taping it to the top of the box. This way he can get inside and the plastic curtain blocks the wind to some extent.  I have lined my shelter with Thermawrap which is a great, easy to cut to size, product from Homebase.  I taped it to the inside of the shelter including floor, roof and sides. I have placed a small Flectabed inside (upon advice of Mark on here) and the inside is filled with straw. I was going to use hay but the pet shop advised me to get straw as it has better thermal qualities and doesn't absorb water as much as hay. Propably not a problem so much with an enclosed shelter.  I have recently bought a Snugglesafe heat pad although I now need to put a bigger cat-flap in the shelter so I can get it inside!

To stop the rain from getting in the door it can also help to make a little awning to place over the top of the opening.  You can make this from a two to three inch wide strip of cardboard covered in bin liners and taped above the door.

I've been trying to post a picture to let you see what I mean about the awning but I think the file size is too big.

Could you make the opening smaller by putting a strip of cardboard covered in bin liners across the bottom of the door opening?

I have got a blog where I have posted detailed instructions with pictures on how how to make an emergency shelter so if anyone wants the link please PM me. Don't know if I'm allowed to post it here.

I was also wondering about a sheltered feeding area. I do have a porch however I was thinking of making an extension to the shelter or an overturn cardboard box covered in bin liners with one side cut out and maybe some polystrene as a flooring. 

Hope you find some good solutions I know what it's like trying to keep them warm and cosy.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 19:40:56 PM by Honeysuckle »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 23:28:48 PM »
Will invest in some straw (can't believe I didn't think of that as I used to have rabbits!) and a heatpad for when it gets really cold. 

Hay is better I find, softer. Thats what I use in my outdoor kennel for neighbour's cats.  :)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 23:10:41 PM »
It's definitely getting damp from rain blowing in at the moment rather than condensation.  I knew I had seen some threads around here on similar subjects so thanks for those.  Will invest in some straw (can't believe I didn't think of that as I used to have rabbits!) and a heatpad for when it gets really cold. 

Still need to think of a way to block the rain from getting into the kennel itself but will ponder that over the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 22:41:24 PM »
Our outside dog kennels - never used for the dogs are up on pallets to keep them off the ground and we have them facing each other and they are at the side of the single garage with the back of our double garage at the other side which breaks the wind and helps keep the snow off

I put micro heatpads in them along with the wendy house and single garage and chuck the beds in the washing machine should they feel damp - currently 4 of my outside ferals are curled up on heatpads on soft armchairs and never moved when I topped up their wet food about 40 mins ago they all look nice and warm :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 21:36:01 PM »
One of the reasons a kennel could get damp is simply condensation from breathing or evaporating off the fur. You need ventilation and/ or heat to completely protect from damp, so covering the kennel with plastic or bubble wrap could cause as many problems as it solves. My apartment block get terrible condensation damp in the winter - it definitely is not getting in from outside just inhabitants' lifestyle and the construction of the building.

Microfibre towels are very absorbent and quick drying so could be used for changeable bedding? Home Bargains used to sell microfibre bath-size towels for ~£3 each and I believe they have had them cheap in Lidl or Aldi. I have used them at the gym and my globetrotting parents for their motorhome so they have been thoroughly road tested!  :evillaugh: I've tried bamboo fabric too as that is antibacterial and super absorbent but it gets damp like cotton and holds the water for ages.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 15:29:06 PM »
There's been a few threads on the subject of outdoor shelters quite recently, maybe you could get some inspiration from some of the ideas...

Minimum temperature in outdoor kennel - http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34673.0.html

Heat Pad For Outdoor Shelter That You Can Heat In Coventional Oven - http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34680.msg616572.html#msg616572

Good on you for looking out for him  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 14:48:26 PM »
I am in this position with a stray at the moment, and was last summer with Tosker

am going to experiment with adding hay as it gets colder

Yes, me too for my ferals I'm getting some this weekend.  They've started to use the kennel more now it's getting colder so I'm going to see if Straw/hay is better this year.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 14:49:13 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 14:44:10 PM »
I am in this position with a stray at the moment, and was last summer with Tosker

I protect food by putting it up against the shed wall with a large perspex sheet leaning over it - the cat has enough room to eat the food while sheltered from the rain - this works very well, although if the rain is blowing around I don't think dry food would work very well

a piece of solid fencing would work just as well, and could probably also be used to protect the kennel entrance if there was something to lean it up against

damp does get into the Mr Snugs kennel I have, though not to the extent of soaking the bedding inside - I find the easiest way to deal with it is to have several spare blankets so if necessary I can change the bedding a couple of times a day

am going to experiment with adding hay as it gets colder
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Outdoor cat shelter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 13:51:28 PM »
Trying to make Ginger, our outdoor resident a bit more comfy over the colder weather and need some opinions on what I can do for him.  I've got my eye on the old lady round the corner taking him in as he is turning into a friendly boy now, but until she can be persuaded I've got to get him sorted here.

At the moment he has a kennel by our shed with a blanket inside it and one of the Purrs shop beds on the blanket. The bed is angled away from the open door as much as possible to minimise drafts for him.  I've checked and he does use it as he has left his fur in it.  The problem is though when it rains as there is no flap or door covering, just an open door space, then it splashes back up into the kennel and wets the lower blanket.   I've raised the kennel off the floor and did think of putting bubble wrap or a plastic sheet over the kennel and in front of the door/one side so he is more protected.  I don't think he likes the sound of the bubble wrap/sheet though so not sure how successful this is going to be.

Taking him in isn't an option (Robbie wouldn't mind him but Sky isn't overly keen on him) and like everywhere else, rescues are overrun so I need to get him sorted as best I can.  Feeding him is also a problem when it's wet but he will have to come into the kitchen for that as we can't get a feeding area set up that is undercover for him.  I know he has probably managed for years without this level of comfort and protection in the cold weather but still want to make sure he is going to be okay. :)

Anyone any thoughts on what else I can do?

Link to CatChat