Author Topic: Why does Menue refuse to sit on the carpet?!  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Why does Menue refuse to sit on the carpet?!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 13:20:02 PM »
My Tigger loved curling up in the dirty washing and would wrap himself up in my ex's smelly shirts!  :sick: Never did figure out why he wanted to smell like he's been sitting 5 hours on a tube train.  :rofl:

I think they roll/sleep on clean laundry because they're trying to 'cover up' the smell of detergent.  :shy: You have to remember cats have some fairly basic needs that deterimine what they do - food, warmth, safety. A lot of their world is based on smells too.  :) We think it's lovely that they rub all around our legs and class it as affection, but that kind of behaviour is based on spreading their scent to us and thereby claiming 'ownership' of us.  :evillaugh:

One of the things that facinates me about my Tilly is her love of camouflage. She seems to know she's a black cat and immedately curls up on anything she can find that is black. We even made her her own little 'black box' by lining a cardboard box with black cloth. She's rarely out of it!  :rofl:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 13:21:34 PM by Pinkbear (Julie) »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
They both adore towels that have just been wrapped around my head (i presume cos its nice and warm?)

Wrapped round your head to dry your hair, right?  My money's on them adoring nice damp towels...

Yes my two do that too, only when they are damp  :Crazy: What's the explanation for them lying on clean washing then, it's neither damp nor smelling of their meowmies - just being awkward I think  :rofl:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »
They both adore towels that have just been wrapped around my head (i presume cos its nice and warm?)

Wrapped round your head to dry your hair, right?  My money's on them adoring nice damp towels...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »
ticklish bum? :evillaugh:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
Mangoloves sitting on my shoes (usually with her paws inside them ha ha) and Chutney loves rucksacks. They both adore towels that have just been wrapped around my head (i presume cos its nice and warm?)

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Would this be the overnight backpack you keep your sarnies/crisps/biscuits in when you are traveling, Tiga?  :sneaky: Even if not, I'll have a fiver on the fact the backpack smells of meowmy and that's why Riley and Digby love it so much.  :)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
Still doesn't explain why Riley and Digby prefer non-cat items to all the cat stuff I have bought!! LOL. They have lovely beds, pet pods, trees but Riley's fave place is on my overnight backpack - wherever I move it he finds it. When I come back after an overnight work trip he sits waiting for me to unpack it and then settles himself into it.

And he loves lying on my sneakers and sticking his face in. What's that all about? Do you have a useless fact of the day to explain that Pinkbear or is he just weird?!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Jack decided he liked sitting on the moss in our garden yesterday. We assumed it was because the moss is moist and cooled him down.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
Useless fact of the day. Number 285973 in a series...  :evillaugh:

It's to do with the temperature of the item they sit on. Cats, being covered in fur, are lousey at conducting heat. Things like paper, leather, ceramics, etc. allow them to cool off/warm up much quicker. When they lay spawled out and twist their heads over, they are maximising the amount of body surface in contact with the conductor.  ;)

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Why does Menue refuse to sit on the carpet?!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:47:30 AM »
I have a rather large lounge so there's plenty of carpet for Menue to sit on and clean herself, but she prefers to sit on my handbag which is the smallest handbag I own!!

Has she claimed it as her own now? Why do cat's do stuff like this? She also likes sitting on newspaper and even manages to squeeze her big bum on paper back books  :rofl:
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Link to CatChat