Author Topic: What do you do when you go on holiday?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What do you do when you go on holiday?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 22:47:07 PM »
The last holiday I had I'd found out one of my boys was diabetic and although I'd asked my friend to care for my pets before I was worried she'd not be able to deal with giving "her favourite" a jab every day. I needn't have been - she was wonderful with all my pets and even sent me a daily text to let me know the insulin had been administered and all was well with the others.  ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 20:02:06 PM »
Thank god for our neighbours!  I'm sure they would say hear, hear!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 18:16:08 PM »
i have only had 2 weekend aways plus day trips since I started fostering, I did have one hol abroad the year before, but only cos I had a housemate at the time, not convinced they were looked after that well though, she was a forgetful person!! My neighbours would look after them anytime I did want to go away though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Funky Feline

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 15:41:20 PM »
We haven't been away for a couple of years now because the girls, I just spend the whole time worrying about them.  My Mum has a cat feeding business but it's too far for her to travel everyday. 

I'm going to have to get something sorted out though as we are getting married next year and will hopefully be having a few days away somewhere so If anyone know of a good cattery around the Ash Vale, Camberley area it would be very appreciated! 

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
We're test running a pet sitter at the end of May - if it all works out we'll book them when we go to Singapore in November.

Lyn x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »
I have spent the last couple of weeks looking at catteries as we are going away in June.

I have found a brilliant one and its FAB registered too.

I dont like the thought of leaving them but i know they will be well looked after there

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 21:18:51 PM »
I don't go on holiday either - thought I was the only one !!
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 19:02:56 PM »
Having 37 of the darlings and 2 strays and jazz the dog holidays are spent at home although we have one mad friend Elaine who brings her cat and dog to our house and does 2 whole weekends a year for us.

This woman is a saint as we keep them as house cats for 72 hours and thats an awful lot in grit boxes and food and as she only has one 1 now Tango her first foster who never left as we have her big boy Oscar as she downsized and Oscar went stir crazy and came to the clan - he was one of our fosters from the 2002 vintage she gets to relaz haha and we get a weekend away and the kids have 2 dogs to terrorise - both Jack Russells!

Having said that we put 10 in the cattery once and decided never again as 3 of the ferals went nuts away from home so i take girly hols and Robin pet sits for their various cats and dogs!!!!!! :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 15:24:51 PM »
awww  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 15:14:28 PM »
The first time I left my boys and went to my mum's for xmas I spent so much time talking about them and wondering aloud what they were doing that my mum got out 2 photos of them I'd sent her and propped them up on the mantelpiece so that I could look at them every day  ;D  It became a bit of family joke over the years that I'd keep saying "I wonder what Jaffa and Magpie are doing.." several times a day.  Eventually my niece, who was about 4 when I first got the boys, started copying me and would wander around the house announcing "I wonder what Jaffa and Magpie are doing"  :rofl:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 15:06:06 PM »
Welcome to the "how have cats changed my life" posting :) :)

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 15:04:44 PM »
My holidays are generally just going down to see my mum who lives an entire days drive away from where I am up here.
Hoping when we move further north to find a cattery nearby there that will board my cats otherwise at the moment if we go to the west coast for a week I've got a 2 hour drive south to the cattery to then drive back north and across lol.

I don't do 'abroad' holidays (unless it's for a cat reason and then it's not really a holiday) as the heat makes my lupus flare up so I'll end up getting poorly.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 14:59:08 PM »
so what one doesnt have one doesnt miss  ;D

Too true, I've only ever had 3 'abroad' holidays in my life anyway and I got surburn each time  :doh:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 14:59:34 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 14:51:10 PM »
I dont go on hoilday either, simply because of the cats, I would worry to much and want to be at home anyway.  Id rather be at home happy than away and worried.  :shy:

same here
ive never been on holiday in my life anyway
so what one doesnt have one doesnt miss  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 14:51:30 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 14:29:52 PM »
I dont go on hoilday either, simply because of the cats, I would worry to much and want to be at home anyway.  Id rather be at home happy than away and worried.  :shy:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 14:25:48 PM »
Not sad at all Rosiecat!  I've not had a proper holiday since I adopted my FIV boy Max 6 years ago!

When I tell most people that, they can't believe it, but I'd be so worried about leaving him or finding someone trustworthy to look after him for a couple of weeks, that its easier not to bother, I doubt I'd relax anyway  :evillaugh:  Also being FIV its hard to find a cattery to take him, as although he is flead and wormed,  he is not vaccinnated, although I know opinions vary on this.

We do have the odd long weekend where my parents will spend about an hour playing with him each day, but any longer than that would make me uncomfortable, and as an indoor cat we are all he knows so it would not be very nice for him.

Anways, its amazing how many nice places are on your doorstep for days out, and with the weather getting warmer, who needs holidays anyway lol  :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 14:26:52 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 14:11:53 PM »
Well I don't actually go on holiday per se but none of my family live close by so I tend to visit them from time to time.  Especially as my mum can't come to me.  That has to count as holiday! 

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 13:49:40 PM »
I don't go - I would worry too much.   We do go on days out instead though!! (Don't sound a sad case at all do I?!!!)  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Hi all,

When I go on holiday I particularly like to explore new places, enjoy the sunshine and foriegn cuisine and occasionally, if I'm in the mood, chill out on the beach with a nice cold drink, dohhhhhhh, sorry, that's not what you meant was it ?!. :) :).

I don't go on holiday anymore because I haven't got a cat-sitter and I don't want to put my FiV+ puds or my elderly female tabby into a cattery so I haven't had a holiday for some time, a pity because I love to travel but I've got many happy memories of past holidays to sustain me.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:29:18 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »
I know I've said it before but I agree with Lynn that provided you pick a good cattery there should be no problems there.  Most settle down ok.  Sure it's not like being at home, but being at home with a stranger popping in isn't like being "at home" either  ;D  Pet sitters are great and in certain circumstances and for certain cats may well be the preferred option but I'd be worried sick leaving my boys at home with a stranger coming in.  I'd worry they got out, I'd worry Jaffa was hiding under the bed and didn't get anything to eat (if it was just left out Mosi would scoff it all) or that he was sick and the sitter couldn't get close enough to see.  I know he's not overly happy to go to the cattery at first but he does settle down, get used to the routine and I know they observe him a lot and pay them both lots of attention.  As soon as I walk in the door to collect them the staff can tell me how they've been in detail so it's obvious they know all the cats well and observed their behaviour (they once separated Jaffa and his brother Magpie when they felt that Jaffa was getting stressed out by Magpie hissing at the other cats).  Mosi also got lots of playtime when he went at christmas.  I have peace of mind when they're there knowing that the chances of them escaping are miniscule and that they're being well looked after.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:29 AM »
We normally take them over my in laws to watch though this may not be an option this year.

They always make us drive over to get them back to ours as well (1 hour drive each way) and after an 8 hour flight from the US plus a train trip from Manchester airport my husband is normally very tired.

The promised last time we did this that they would bring the cats back to ours and at the last minute (the day before we returned) decided they would rather go into York for the day shopping. (which is only 30 minutes away from us).

So I've no idea what we'll do next time we go to the US to see my family. There is a cattery in the area but I'd feel horrible.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
I put Mogs and Amber in a cattery. Friends used to look after them but after one moved away it was hard on the other to spend so much time with them. Also as Mogs needs tablets for blood pressure I didnt feel it was fair to put that responsibility on a friend. I would have loved to get someone to come in but as I live in a tower block I have only 1 secure door key so would have to drop that off and collect it from who ever was cat sitting which isnt ideal.
When they go in the cattery I always spritz the pen with feliway and they are totally fine with it.
Im sure you'll find whats best for your cat
love
Tab

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:02:53 AM »
Hello,
I made a post about this under another thread but as I work in a boarding cattery I would say there are many excellent ones around.
Try to go and visit some local ones and talk to the owners or staff.  You should get a feeling about whether you like the cattery or not and whether you would feel confident leaving your cats there.
 You will always get a few rogues in every walk of life but cattery or kennel owners usually do it for love or animals and the lifestyle.
It is very hard work for small financial reward. Our cattery only closes 2 days a year Christmas Day & Boxing Day (closes to the cat owners that is ,obviously we still have to feed and care for the feline guests.)
I love my job and look forward to going to work every day. We have a large number of regular customers and most of our new clients come to us by reccomendation.
I am more than happy to put myself out to accommodate owners requests and foilbles.
 The cats at our cattery gets lots of fuss and attention not just from  me but the cattery's owners,  & my husband who frequently visits to meet "Wilfred" or some other cat I have been talking about. Lynn

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 00:09:58 AM »
I am waiting for someone to come and catsit for me when I eventually go on holiday. I didn't get any takers last time but if anyone is interested, you get to stay in a 5 star B&B in whitstable, 3 minutes walk to the sea. The cat feeders are fine but I would prefer someone who could give the kitties some fuss, water the plants, feed the birds & hedgies etc. I will give a 5% discount on your stay  :evillaugh:
Not really, naturally you could pick a room (I am paranoid so would lock the other rooms in case you invite all yor friends down  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: )
Seriously, I couldn't imagine putting my cats in a cattery - I would rather stay home.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 00:10:36 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 23:49:47 PM »
I have their very own 24 hour cat sitter live in  ;D She is brill and only charges £20 per day/night.  I find this is great and i can go away knowing someone is with them as i am all the time as i work from home.
Ok they are spoilt  :shify:

Wow that's brilliant! Really good value!  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 23:39:17 PM »
My boys go into a very good cattery where they're spoilt and pampered  ;D

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 23:37:58 PM »
I have their very own 24 hour cat sitter live in  ;D She is brill and only charges £20 per day/night.  I find this is great and i can go away knowing someone is with them as i am all the time as i work from home.
Ok they are spoilt  :shify:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 22:03:03 PM »
Well depending on how long we are away for we either get a friend to pop in and feed them/clean litter trays (well in my case my friend stays for hours at a time with them playing with them lol) or put them in a cattery. From now on it will be a lot harder as a lot of catteries won't board one of my girls so most of the time they will stay at home if we are holidaying up North and if we are going down south then they'll go to a lovely cattery that will board all of the mob.

If you pop them into a cattery do a thorough inspection of it first (check things like sneeze barrier height etc as not all catteries have full height ones) and make sure you take along some familiar smelling things when the cat goes to stay (blanket they sleep on, a tshirt you've worn and not washed etc).

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 21:59:07 PM »
I have someone come in and feed them. I would only use professionals as friends might be "forgetful" at times  ;D
I'm lucky as there are cat feeders in this area and the best cat feeder ever was in Islington when I lived there.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline emzbubble

• Adult Cat
What do you do when you go on holiday?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 21:51:42 PM »
Hi All,

Was just wondering for future references what you all do with your kitties when you go on holiday? Do you take them to cattery? Have someone drop in daily? Take them to friends house? ???????????????????????????

Thanks xxx

Link to CatChat