Author Topic: Not eating after spay  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
Re: Not eating after spay
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 12:19:28 PM »
Thats great she is doing better Sky wasn't given a collar when she was done about 6 weeks ago,she had glue not stiches :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 14:25:59 PM »
I am so pleased she is eating again  ;D

I hope you get well soon too  :hug:

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 14:18:33 PM »
thanks everyone for your help -  I took the buster collar off, and she sniffed food and walked away, I left it off and kept a real close eye on her, and she didnt touch the stitches (which are in her flank and not tummy), she finally ate a little of the jelly and left the meaty bits  and then went onto to eat a bit more each  time over the weekend!  she seems much much happier sans collar, and has left the stitches alone completely.  She even silent miaowed for lunch today!! and ate heartily  and finally did a poo - a huge worry off my mind.  So I guess it was the nasty collar, thankyou so much, Im so dim I didnt even think of removing it and trying her without,  I was so scared she would take out her own stitches. I cant thankyou enough  :hug: My brains a bit addled with the meds Im taking LOL.

Thankyou for the good wishes for my recovery as well  :thanks: Im getting there slowly but surely, had spinal surgery so its a bit of a long haul on the recovery, so far so good, and the kids and hubby are being angels and helping me. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 19:32:08 PM »
Rob scroll down this link  http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/Spayandneuter.htm#Should%20have%20had%20her%20spayed%20! and see a neuter, the incision is so small it all pings back in and stays there with no stitches  ;D

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 18:09:44 PM »
Hi costalkitty I hope you are recovering well after your op  :)

Rascal didn't eat much after she was spayed and hasn't ever since  :tired: in fact she is even more fussy with food  >:( The vet has checked her (several times as I get paranoid) and says she's in great shape and not to be concerned  :Crazy:  ;)

I hope Kitty feels better soon  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:01 AM »
Do you have to use a collar my boys are booked in for November 7th together and I see the collars as redundant as they will easily reach each others stitches.

I only use collars on the girls...the boys wont need one  ;)

Ditto MM....try taking the collar off for supervised feeds....hope she picks up soon  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:11:16 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 22:08:01 PM »
Hi and   :welcome:  back

Hope you have recovered from your own operation

If my experience is anything to go by the young ones dont eat much anyway and are dead skinny a bit like your size 10 teenagers.  When mine are off their food they can usually be tempted with a little bit of ham, in fact they love it.  Homer has just been neutered and has eaten nothing from his bowl, but he is drinking a little and eating little tiny pieces of meat from the fridge.

:luck:  with Kitty
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 22:06:40 PM »
Boys dont have the problems that the girls have , where it is a more complicated operation.

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 21:56:41 PM »
Don't remember Binky needing collar - maybe less stiches with boys? Not the expert though.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 21:48:00 PM »
Do you have to use a collar my boys are booked in for November 7th together and I see the collars as redundant as they will easily reach each others stitches.
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 20:28:52 PM »
Hope Kitty is feeling better, I really dont understand why all vets dont spay using the stitches under the skin, when Mellika was spayed a couple of weeks ago there were no visible stitches so she didnt have to wear a dreaded "lampshade" no return vet visit to remove stitches either (she had to go back after 8 days for a post op check) She never lost her appetite at all but was a little quiet for a couple of days.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 20:20:57 PM »
Are you feeding her with her collar on? Try giving her supervised time out, some cats can be very depressed wearing a collar.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 17:53:14 PM »
Hiya coastalkitty
 How are you after your hospital stay? hope you have recovered yourself,  I have had My three Bengals neutered recently, One female and two males, the female was fine, but one of my males got stressed over it,that was what the vet said and he did go of his food and had the runs e.t.c.
So I would ring the vet for any concerns just to get some advice even if you don't go there.  :Luv:
Caroline xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 17:09:15 PM »
I suspect that she will start eating again to night or tomorrow but if not definately a vet visit first thing Monday cos by then it will be an emergency.

Any food is better than no food so if she will eat fish or chicken that would be good and that she is drinking is very good.

If you thinks she is really down then yes ring emergency vet for advice.

Hope Kitty feels better today  :hug: :hug:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 17:03:40 PM »
How's Kitty doing? Any signs of improvement yet?

When I had Lily and Imogen spayed they both pretty much carried on eating but Lily was a bit like Kitty in that she was quite quiet for a couple of days after and she was very clingy, having to sleep on my pillow next to me. I wonder if she's just reacting to feeling poorly in her own way and has lost her appetite as a result? If I'd just had a major operation, I probably wouldn't feel like eating much.

If you're worried, you could ring an emergency vet to ask for some advice as to whether her behaviour is anything you should be concerned about - it might put your mind at rest  :hug:

I hope she's back to normal soon  :hug:

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
Not eating after spay
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 14:46:43 PM »
Hi everyone, I havent been around much as Ive been in hospital and then recovering.  As you know I tried to get Kitty spayed before my op, but as she was 5 months at the time, no vet around here would do it, even after explaining my situation re hospitaisation and family looking after the pets etc.  Anyway, I needed to be up on my feet properly to take care of her post op, so the short story is, she was spayed on Wednesday, at 7 months old, we had no mishaps re her getting out  whilst I was incapacitated and all went well :)   

So she was spayed Weds, tried eating her stitches the minute she came home, so I popped a buster collar on her ( I was all prepared!)  She came home late weds eve and ate a tiny bit of white fish.  Thurs  am, again small amount of fish, but drinking happily.  Ive offered her food at her normal feeding times since this.   She isnt herself which is understandable, but more worringly, she is hardly eating.  Now she is usually a stomach on furry paws LOL - honestly, so this worries me.  Ive offered her different options, from the gently cooked white fish , to her normal diet of kitekat, Ive offered her dry cat food which she normally likes, she has never been fussy and literally will try to eat anything.  Should I be worried enough to contact the vet?  Its so long since Ive shared my life with a cat, I really cant remember my past cats being off their food after neutering.  She gets up and has a sniff and a little try, but then walks off and goes back to sleep.  She seems depressed, but Im thinking thats the buster collar? 

any help and advice would be really appreciated :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 14:48:11 PM by coastalkitty »

Link to CatChat