Author Topic: Failing eyesight!  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Failing eyesight!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »
So pleased it went well and it could be that he is just not used to bright light, I have a birman who also squints in bright light, mind he has blue eyes and that maybe the reason.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 22:43:15 PM »
Glad it went OK and nothing untoward was found  :)

Come to think of it, although Lu doesn't have any problems with his eyes - hsi vision is perfect and no squinting etc - he often has really dilated pupils, especially compared to his brother. I wonder if it's just one of those things and not an indication of a problem?

Hope his tummy clears up ASAP too  :hug:

Offline cj

• Adult Cat
  • My babys Joey, Charlie and baby Katie xxx
  • Slave to: Joey and Charlie and baby Katie x
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 17:19:55 PM »
Thanks for your concern  :)

Back from the vets safe and sound yesterday....apparently he has NOT detached his retina...all seems to be fine.  His eyes are still dilated always have been.

They said he has slightly raised blood pressure but they said thats prob because he was at the vets at the time.  Take him back if any change.

Still squinting alot in daylight..poor little fella cant look out of the sitting room window throu the day as thats where the sun comes in....i open the back door and he sits and looks out there.  Asked if he was in any pain with regards to squinting in daylight....the vet nurse said the vet didnt mention anything!

Not sure if i should try another vet.....or just keep him out of daylight.  Hes got the runs....be the stress from being taken from his meowmy!  :Luv:

Thanks again for all your concern...will keep you posted on any changes!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 23:02:27 PM »
They can also be caused by a knock to the head/trauma and it can take weeks for the eye problem to manifest itself. I'm surprised Dave hasn't managed to detach his whole brain he's so clumsy, that's what made me think of it :innocent:

Whatever the diagnosis and treatment, I hope it's all successful and I would be interested to know what the diagnosis actually is, another thing to store away for future reference.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 22:50:29 PM »
I believe that detached retinas are usually coursed by high blood pressure in cats but she is a bit young for that,

I hope the vet visit goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 20:31:35 PM »
Could it be a detached retina, partial or wholly?

This is a link obviously about humans but I assume it's much the same for felines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_detachment

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 20:23:50 PM »
No idea about the eye issues I'm afraid, hope the vet visit goes OK tomorrow and let us know how he gets on  :hug:

Offline cj

• Adult Cat
  • My babys Joey, Charlie and baby Katie xxx
  • Slave to: Joey and Charlie and baby Katie x
Failing eyesight!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »
Hey all,

Within the last few weeks ive noticed Charlie (my youngest, just turned 3 in January) has been squniting alot whenever (esp) sunlight catches his eyes, infact he was sitting on the window sill recently i popped my head throu the blinds to say hello.....he couldnt see me im sure of it but he could sense someone was there, he came forward eyes half closed and bumped his nose on the end of mine  :doh:

Another time i opened the blinds to wash my windows the sun came in, Charlies head disapeared down the back of the sofa, he only asks to go out early in the morning before the sun comes up at night when the sun has set!!

Off to the PDSA Wednesday gone there for his IBS jab asked the vet to check his eyes as they are CONSTANTLY dilated (his eyes have been checked in the past, nothing was wrong, put it down to his IBS) he said something is not attached to the something (i was abit upset so couldnt take in what he said)!!

I do recall asking if he is going blind, vet cant tell till further checks are done (hes booked in for next Wednesday).  Im sure the vet said he might beable to fix the problem  ;D

Does anyone have any experience of there cat having this type of problem....has anyone had a cat go throu eye surgery to correct eyesight problems?  I worry about him losing his sight when he goes out on a evening!  Anyone know how long it could take for him to go blind completley....if this is to happen?? He can still see...he deffo doesnt like sunlight in his eyes even if the blinds are shut in my house....since returning from the vets ive kept all blinds and curtains closed and all lights off in the evening bar one....so i can see whats going on!!

Bit stressed at the mo!

Link to CatChat