Author Topic: Concerned about Max's eyesight - MY BABY BOY IS BLIND :(  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Concerned about Max's eyesight - MY BABY BOY IS BLIND :(
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 18:50:21 PM »
From what you say Clare and how Max seems it does sound like he has lost his sight gradually, from my experience when Timmy suddenly lost his sight was worse than Schui who lost it gradually then suddenly and totally in one eye.  Still though, all cats are different and Timmy had a totally different personality to Schui and reason for his loss, Max is brave boy, bless him and try not worry  :hug:  I'm wishing him the best :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 18:42:52 PM »
 :hug: fingers crossed he manages to respond and improve

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 18:40:57 PM »
 :hug: So sorry to hear  this hun, what an awful shock for you.  :hug:

Max has one wonderful loving slave and a wonderful home that he knows so very well, i know he will be fine. Give him a cuddle from me.  :hug:

Little bit of encouragement for ya  :) :Luv:
Can Blind Pets Lead Happy Lives?
Fortunately most eye diseases are successfully treated with medication or surgery. However, in some cases vision is irreversibly lost. Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) and Glaucoma are two common causes of permanent blindness. Veterinarians are often asked whether a blind dog or cat can lead a happy life.

The answer is an unequivocal "YES!"

While there are certainly some things that they may be unable to do, most of the activities that are important to our pets are still possible. A blind dog or cat will behave remarkably normally in their own home. Animals that lose vision gradually appear to adjust better than those that lose vision rapidly. In both cases, with a bit of patience, we have found that almost every pet can make this adjustment. They will remember where their food and water are and rarely bump into things in the home. Try not to rearrange the furniture and you will be amazed at how well your pet will remember the floor plan -- even going up and down stairs. They will still play with toys and may prefer a ball with a bell or a squeak toy. They will enjoy interacting with their human family in most all of the same ways as they did before they lost vision. A blind pet can continue in every way in their primary role as a loving companion.

It is important to recognize that, while vision is important to dogs and cats, they have many other senses that help them adjust to the lose of this one. Their senses of hearing and smell are much more sensitive than ours! Loss of vision does not represent the same hardship for our pets as it would for us. For us, blindness would mean an inability to read or drive a car and a loss of independence. Our pets are already (happily) dependent on us.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 18:29:45 PM »
Clare our Bertie went blind at 18, he still had the house plan in his mind and now you can never rearrange the house or move things around!

Our Bertie mastered a whole new house including stairs and a huge garden and when trapping our mob 3 years ago after the freat escape - he didn't go in the initial breakout but could be found in the traps on a regular basis with all the nice treat food!

They adapt better than we do and his sense of smell will keep him just fine in your care -  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 18:01:33 PM »
So sorry hun, hopefully Max will adapt soon enough  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 17:55:24 PM »
Oh Clare :hug: I am sorry , its a terrible shock for you but like the others have said i am sure Max will do fine with your love and care for him.

:hug: :hug: For you and Max. x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 17:40:09 PM »
I've just read this thread and seriously Clare, he might not be able to see you but he can remember what you look like. He'll adapt quickly, cats are pretty amazing like that. In fact, it's probably bothering you more than him! ;) :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 17:00:56 PM »
He will carry on as normal as it is now normal to him, with Sofa she just got on with things and never seemed upset by it all.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 16:59:13 PM »
glad you got your cuddle Clare - seems like lots of people have experiences for you to draw on - keep smiling hun :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 16:54:21 PM »
I would have thought so, but now I'm not so sure.  They always take him to the treatment room when they do his bloods, then deliver him back to me all done, so I'm not 100%, but would have thought they would know to test it?

I've come home from work a bit early, my head is banging and I'm really tired after all this today, so imagine how pleased I was that my baby boy had heard my car coming in, and was waiting by the front door, followed me upstairs (slowly, but managed it), then onto the bed for our usual 'home from work' cuddles  :Luv2: :Luv2:

He's been finding his food and litter tray just fine as well.  For all I know, this may have been gradual, as he seems very calm, no yowling or anything, which I would have expected?

Can I just say  :thanks: so much for all your kind words on here, you really have helped me through a difficult day, Purrs peeps are wonderful xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Concerned about Max's eyesight
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 16:32:40 PM »
It must have caused high blood pressure, even though he's been having vet checks every 2 months, its never been picked up.

He's had blood pressure checked those times has he? Sometimes it is reversible if caught early.

If it isnt reversible in his case, as others have said, he will adapt - my Sophie went completely blind and she was absolutely fine, you wouldnt have known to see her walking around, and she still played with toys etc. Don't forget their hearing is loads better than ours, think how they listen for prey etc, the teeniest sound and they're on it! It is a shock for you though  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 16:13:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this Clare, as I said earlier I have had this happen with a couple of cats now, I'm sure Max will be fine with your care :hug: give him a hug from me please  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 15:45:27 PM »
So sorry to hear bout Max Clare but like the others have side he will do just fine with you to love and care for him

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 15:37:59 PM »
Sorry Clare  :hug:

Just remember Max won't be crying or feeling sorry for himself  :hug:

Is there no chance? - I know they say sometimes sight can return even if it has been lost for days or even weeks. At least being indoor already, staying in won't be an issue  :hug:

My mum's cat Sukie went blind at about 6 months old. Obviously there are things to look out for like not moving things around that he might bash into but there is no reason he can't have a happy life. Cats don't dwell on things like us and accept change a lot more readily.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 15:45:02 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 15:30:05 PM »
'so he manages fine even though he'd never memorised your house when he had his sight' 

Yes, he absolutely amazed me. I had been keeping my old guyTruman in my bedroom when he first came to me as he is 14+, blind with CRF and is very wobbly on his back legs,  but after a week or two I decided to take him out the back for some fresh air. However, it was a bit too chilly for him and he immediately turned round went back in through the vestibule, through the kitchen, across the middle room, up the stairs, turned right into my bedroom and jumped on the bed. He had never been downstairs before and never been out the back but he instinctively knew his way back just from being carried down there. Now that it's better weather he nips down himself when he feels like it. I have no doubt that Mr Max will be just fine and I am assured that it doesn't cause them any pain.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 15:20:32 PM »
Oh hunnie, Sofa's retina's both detatched and she was fine for the last year of her life - she would even go darting round the garden all the time like a full sighted cat.

Its hard especially when you see them bumping into things but once they sus out where everything is the bumps are only small bumps and it gets easier for us to dea with - Sofa was never bothered.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 15:19:09 PM »
Clare so sorry you`ve had such a shock  :hug: please dont waste time feeling sorry for Max, harsh sounding words you may think, the fact is Max is so lucky that he has all he needs and wants in life YOU and your wonderful care, he will astound you in the way he copes and your bond will become even stronger. I still remember the shock of my Cleo going blind following a dental, I wasted so much time worrying needlessly, she led a very happy and trouble free life and no one would have known she was blind from her actions.
Little word of warning Istin can make them very sleepy.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 15:18:03 PM »
So sorry you've had such a shock. As others have said, cats can compensate so much by other senses. Also, his whiskers will act as a white stick. My old bllind Truman is amazing. He gets down the stairs and goes out to the back garden by himself even though he was never here as a sighted cat. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and, to be honest, I usually forget he is blind.

Ah bless him, so he manages fine even though he'd never memorised your house when he had his sight  :Luv2:

This does give me some comfort, also the fact that he's always been indoor only, so he won't be missing out on outdoor life.

I'm sure deep down my boy will be fine, he's made of tough stuff is Mr Max  :Luv:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 14:55:36 PM »
So sorry you've had such a shock. As others have said, cats can compensate so much by other senses. Also, his whiskers will act as a white stick. My old bllind Truman is amazing. He gets down the stairs and goes out to the back garden by himself even though he was never here as a sighted cat. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and, to be honest, I usually forget he is blind.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 14:31:05 PM »

I also can't believe that he'll never see my face again when we have cuddles, sure he'll know its me, but it won't be the same  :'( :'( :'(

oh Clare  :hug: that sentence has made sob  :hug:

I dont know what to say hunny, I am so sorry this has happened to Max

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 14:28:45 PM »
Wow thats a shock for you and Max,  :hug: :hug: to you.

Max will still know its you though, how does he seem to be coping?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 14:10:26 PM »
Oh no, poor baby  :( I know it's going to take some adjusting for both of you but Max knows his home inside out, he will also know your smell, sound and touch  :hug:

Oh Clare, what an awful shock for you.  But Helen's right: for cats so much is about smell and sound and your cuddles will smell exactly the same to Max  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 14:00:23 PM »
Oh no Clare!!! What an awful shock for you and Im sure Max is wondering what has happened!  :(

Im thinking of you both hun!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 13:57:28 PM »
Oh no, poor baby  :( I know it's going to take some adjusting for both of you but Max knows his home inside out, he will also know your smell, sound and touch  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 13:56:03 PM »
what a shock for you - but Max doesn't understand what has happened to him, and will I am sure adjust very quickly - the fact that he managed - almost - to fool you shows that

:hug: for you and Max - may you go on having many happy hugs just like before
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 13:54:49 PM »
Apparently in can happen in cats who are hypertheroid and have CRF as well  :'(

It must have caused high blood pressure, even though he's been having vet checks every 2 months, its never been picked up.

I'm sitting in the office in tears  :'(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 13:52:46 PM »
omg Clare I can't believe it - how has this happened???  Poor baby Max and poor you  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 13:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys, the vet has pretty much confirmed my worst fears, in that my baby boy has gone blind.

Its such a shock as it was almost overnight, on Saturday he was fine, last night I wasn't sure, today I'm told both retinas have detached, and its highly unlikely he'll get any sight back  :'( :'(

He's been started on 1/8 tab of Istin daily.

I can't help but feel so sorry for my baby, as if we haven't had enough to contend with recently, now this as well  :'(

I also can't believe that he'll never see my face again when we have cuddles, sure he'll know its me, but it won't be the same  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
Hope everything goes ok with Max's appointment today and that its nothing serious  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
Good luck today, hope Max is okay

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
good luck at the vets. It could be due to high bp. In quite a few cats lowering bp restores sight.  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
Thanks Mark, great minds think alike  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »
I've just googled eyesight problems in cats, and with Max's thyroid and kidney issues, he's a perfect candidate for sight problems, it seems  :-[

I hope I'm wrong, but you know when you sometimes get a feeling that something isn't right? 

He was much better this morning, up to his usual mischief while I was getting ready for work, but when he walked down the stairs, it possibly seemed a little more gingerley than normal, if that makes sense?

I half thought about the emergency vets last night, but wanted to wait until this morning as my ones will have all his relevant notes etc....

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
With my cats it's always been related to sight Clare but for various reasons, your vet will check it out for you, lots of positive vibes for Max   :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
Good luck Clare  :hug:

Lets hope it's nothing. Is he OK otherwise as enlarged pupils can mean pain or distress. Hopefully not. Clapton has a funny look about his eyes sometimes that I can't put my finger on but it seems to go.  :hug:

I just looked on Tanya's CRF site and they say it can be a sign of Hypertension http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#control_of_blood_pressure
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:02:08 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Concerned about Max's eyesight - MY BABY BOY IS BLIND :(
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I've managed to get an appointment for my boy this morning, so would appreciate some good luck vibes!

I'm not sure whether I'm being a neurotic meowmy, or whether there is something really wrong  :shy:

Last night I noticed his eyes look bigger than normal, i.e. the pupil was massive!  It was dark, and I know they get bigger to let more light in, but I'm not sure, something just looked different to how they usually look.  He also stumbled doing something he can usually do in his sleep, so I'm really worried that he's either not balanced properly, or there's something wrong with his eyesight?

Wish us luck, will update later once we've been to the vets x
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 14:01:19 PM by clarenmax »

Link to CatChat