Author Topic: Ear tip cancer, not just white cats at risk  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Ear tip cancer, not just white cats at risk
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 19:08:04 PM »
Glad hes back to normal with no restrictions  ;D

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 18:50:48 PM »
How much of the ear did they take hun?

Glad he is ok x

They took about a third, he looks slightly lopsided, but apart from that not too much damage unless you count the bill of course!  :shocked:

Doing well and not bothering the ear, so we do not need to keep him in or put a collar on him, which is a big sigh of relief for us and him.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
I've only just seen this, pleased the op went well, and so pleased you caught this early  :hug:

Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
Pleased everything went well  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 21:35:33 PM »
Glad he is OK, but I wouldnt be happy at that bill either!! Fingers crossed he recovers well.
Please spay your cat

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 20:03:23 PM »
How much of the ear did they take hun?

Glad he is ok x

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 18:37:31 PM »
Well, he has come out the other end none the worse for his experience. No buster collar and not bothering with the ear. He was screaming to go out last night and there was a battle of wills between us!

He has had a qucik trip out this morning and another this PM which has been enough to settle him.

The bill came to nearly £200 and they had the nerve to charge me £7 as a day patient fee, for what little op he had, on the invoice it says 20 minutes op time, I nearly fainted.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 19:32:13 PM »
Lots of lucks and healing vibes being sent x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 19:21:57 PM »
He needs to be in at 8am for his op and I will pick him up if all has gone well about 4.30ish. The OH will have to take him as I need to be in work early. If he needs AB's they are going to have to give him the 2 week injection, he is a  :censored: to get tablets down when he is feeling socialble, never mind when confined to barracks.

Oh the joy of a stir crazy cat for nigh on two weeks. I was hopeing it would be no worse than tipping a feral cats ears on a TNR programme.  :Crazy:

Gooey had radical removal and didnt need any oral abs so you should survive that! If its half way down the ear he will lose a bit more than that as they have to make sure its all gone so more than a feral tip. Gooeys SCC had gone to that little flappy pocket near the base of the ear and so his ears had to go virtually down to his head  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
Fingers crossed his confinement isn't too hard on him, I had something similar with Ginger, he had to have 10 days in after an op, and the first 5 days were really hard, he seemed to resign himself to it after that, and it took about 3 days for him to get back to normal after being allowed back out!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 23:06:45 PM »
Best of luck to him for the op  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 21:19:46 PM »
Will send healing vibes all day Monday hunnie, betcha any money he will be fine  :hug:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 21:17:01 PM »
He needs to be in at 8am for his op and I will pick him up if all has gone well about 4.30ish. The OH will have to take him as I need to be in work early. If he needs AB's they are going to have to give him the 2 week injection, he is a  :censored: to get tablets down when he is feeling socialble, never mind when confined to barracks.

Oh the joy of a stir crazy cat for nigh on two weeks. I was hopeing it would be no worse than tipping a feral cats ears on a TNR programme.  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 20:03:54 PM »
Sorry to hear he has to have his ear off, he will recover very quickly tho  :hug:

Thanks Mrs R, I know that having caught it in time, he should not have any more issues, but he is a nervous cat and he sprays when stressed, and the prospect of having to keep in a free ranging cat for a few days that only comes in when really cold, is a bit of a nightmare. Still the cold weather is coming in from tomorrow, so he may well not wnat to go out anyway, so we may have timed it nicely.

Because of the stitches he will need to wear a cone for 10-14 days and obviously cant go out with that on, so be prepared for that. Magoo was dying to get at his ears the whole 2 weeks and was so pleased when he could finally have a scratch at the scabby bits, the look of sheer pleasure on his face was so cute  :Luv:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 19:43:45 PM »
What times the appt on Monday hunnie?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 17:44:19 PM »
Poor baby i do hope everything goes okay for Monday and will send some positive vibes :Luv: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 17:28:35 PM »
Once they take the cancer off and the surround tissue off it will be sorted.

One of our old neighbours cats got skin cancer on its tail and ear and they took half the tail off and 90% of the ear and the cat is right as rain now.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 17:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the post, I would have never suspected pure blacks would be at risk, Pebbles had precancerous nasal scabs on her white nose, but her black ears were fine. Fingers crossed the surgery goes well.

Yep As janey says they stress the risk in white cats, when good old TJ has proven it can happen in blacks as well. It must be rare though, if even a very experienced vet has never seen it before.

Shudder to think what would have happened if I had not spotted it in time.

The OH is trying to make light of it, as it is his fave cat. Because we have a foster in that looks just like TJ we have to stop and look which one we are letting out and we have to do a double take when one or the other comes back in as well. OH reckons that we needed a way to tell them apart anyway!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 16:43:00 PM »
Poor baby, good job you caught it early. Good luck for Monday  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 16:35:33 PM »
poor boy and so pleased you caught it quick. hope all goes well for him  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 16:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the post, I would have never suspected pure blacks would be at risk, Pebbles had precancerous nasal scabs on her white nose, but her black ears were fine. Fingers crossed the surgery goes well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 13:02:38 PM »
aww poor boy, I've always thought that though why they just usually stress protecting white cats when although they are fairer like humans it doesn't exclude other colours.  I use total sunblock on mine.   

Best wishes all goes well Monday xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
Well done for catching it in time .....once the effected area is removed that sould be the end of it  :hug:

We used to have a cat come in the cattery who's owner left his (we said about it everytime he came in) and he ended up having both ears removed

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Baby sun tan lotion on cats ears is a great thing plus dab it on the noses too.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Poor thing.

I did my disseration of feline skin cancers and BCCs or SCC's of ears are usually easily and successfully treated hunnie x

Thanks Mrs R, I know that having caught it in time, he should not have any more issues, but he is a nervous cat and he sprays when stressed, and the prospect of having to keep in a free ranging cat for a few days that only comes in when really cold, is a bit of a nightmare. Still the cold weather is coming in from tomorrow, so he may well not wnat to go out anyway, so we may have timed it nicely.

It is just that when I saw it, I was fooled into thinking it was a blood blister. From a distance, it looked like a well fed tick, and I got the tweezers and sherry out to deal with it anf then realised that it wasn't!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
Poor thing.

I did my disseration of feline skin cancers and BCCs or SCC's of ears are usually easily and successfully treated hunnie x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Poor boy  :(

I'm sure ear surgery is usually successful and not too painful. Good on Monday for you & TJ  :hug:

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Ear tip cancer, not just white cats at risk
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
One of my black lads developed last week what looked like a blood blister about a third of the way down his ear. As he fights. I checked it, looked like it would drain on it's own acccord and made a note to keep an eye on it.

He was sitting on the corner of my desk yesterday and I went to check his ear and realised that it had doubled in size in the past week. But instead of growing out it was growing up and had like a stalk with a crusty top. Did not look like a polyp and the crusty top made me suspicious.

Phoned the vets last night and got him in early this morning. He has what looks like Basal Cell Carcinoma on his ear and he is having half of his ear removed on Monday, Even though I had checked the other side of the ear last night to check for infiltration and could not find any, the vet has checked today and it is starting to come thru the other side, so just over night it has grown in size again and starting to eats its way thru the other side of the ear.

He has never seen a black cat with what could be BCC on the ear before and he said that when he saw TJ come out of the carrier and realised that he was black, he thought to himself that it would not be anything nasty.

So be warned, it is not just white cats at risk. Some good vibes for him on Monday please that the vet can get a clear margin and get rid of all that growth.  :'(

Link to CatChat