Author Topic: giving tablets  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: giving tablets
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 20:27:21 PM »
Metronidazole are nasty tasting, when my lot had them i used empty capsules and put down the hatch that way, without the nasty taste they didnt foam or anything  :hug:
No rescue remedy whilst shes on them or a few weeks after just incase, for humans if you have a drop of alcohol whilst taking metronidazole you suffer a very nasty headache!

Im sure metronidazole comes in a small coated pill form, think its stomorgyl  :-:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 21:40:47 PM »
I think if force isn't working, deception is the only option. Personally, I'd ask the vet for different meds.  :tired:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 17:20:38 PM »
Does she like the Defurrum treats? you can split those in half and push tablet inside - works with some of mine  :)

That's the only way I can get Max's Vidalta down him as well  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 15:43:58 PM »
my poor baby star!  not only is she being wrapped in a towel she stinks of fish as well!!!

i'm just really sad about this, she'd just started sitting on our laps after being with us more than 2 years and now she hates me again  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 15:42:21 PM »
or you could try mixing in tuna oil or the tomato sauce off Sardines to disguise the taste  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 15:39:00 PM »
I could try the butter, I suppose they are forced to lick it off!  the vet did say the ab's tasted really horrible they are metranizorole or something

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 15:38:07 PM »
Dawn, you could always try crushing them, mixing it in with some meat paste/pate or butter and spreading it down her front paw, I've done that with a couple of mine when they've been little brats  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 15:35:20 PM »
no, she doesn't eat any treats at all but I've decided to make some kibble out of the webbox stuff with the pills cut up inside, worth a try, it was horrible last night, we made her gum bleed

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 15:33:07 PM »
Does she like the Defurrum treats? you can split those in half and push tablet inside - works with some of mine  :) you could maybe put a tablet in one and then mix it with her kibble, she might not even notice  :evillaugh: What about the good old primula/dairylea cheese trick?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
I might try that Mark - you are very cunning!

I need to be with Clapton - he is very wily  :evillaugh:

I remember not long after I got Kylie, she needed antibiotics for something and they sold me a pillgiver. I spent 2 days trying to hold her to medicate (I lived on my own then) in desperation I dropped one on thefloor and she just ate it - Kylie loves treats so no problem - Alice always wants what I'm having so she would be easy to pill as well if I pretend the tablet is mine  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
I might try that Mark - you are very cunning!

I have some of those webbox things knocking about somewhere

it was awful last night, she started foaming at the mouth and she bit oh twice
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:03:57 AM by Dawn F »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:00:05 AM »
 :Crazy:

No idea  :Crazy:

Couldn't the treat be mixed in with her kibble? -
 I put Clapton's on top of his wet food. I always make sure that meal is a favourite flavour so he scoffs without thinking  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
I was going to say similar to Mark's idea, never failed for our prawn loving Smokey...1/2 tablet in 1/2 king prawn and same again but no good if he won't eat fishy things
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
forgot to mention Star only eats RC kibble - literally nothing else, no fish, meat or cat food - I have just rung the vet they said they can't be dissolved in water but I can crush them, throw the powder in her mouth and then give her water - what is the difference!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
Have you tried giving them squashed inside a piece of webbox treats? - they are treat sticks but a bit like plasticine. I have been giving Clapton his fortekor like that for a while with no problems. You can get them in sainsbury's - 6 strips for about £1 - each strip does 4 or 5 - Kylie normally begs for the rest of Clapton's strip though  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:58:21 AM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
giving tablets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:32:38 AM »
Star is on an anti biotic meta something they are huge and we are really struggling with her to give them, does anyone know if they can be dissolved in water first??

Link to CatChat