Author Topic: dentals  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: dentals
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »
we do use toothbrushes (well I don't oh does, I can't even look!!) and use logic gel - she is the one who will only eat dry food I'm afraid so though I like the idea of chicken wings she wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - we were at the vet last night and chatted to her about it, we are taking her in to have a look next monday - I'm starting to think she isn't eating as much as before as well now but again not sure if that is me being weird!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 20:54:20 PM »
Would some tooth paste and her own little toothbrush do any good? I would rather try this first than them having a GA.

I also agree with what Helen said  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 20:40:31 PM »
My vet told me when Jaffa needed a dental.  When he had his annual check up a few years ago, she said that he needed one but that it wasn't urgent so I could just book him in sometime over the next few months.  It was actually about 6 months before he had it done and I did feel a bit guilty that I should have had it done sooner because he needed 2 extractions and had one broken tooth.  I wouldn't have one done unless your vet recommended it though.  In the meantime you could try logic gel and/or plaque off for dental health, and raw chicken wings if she will eat them.  I don't believe in dry food for cleaning teeth.  Not seen any evidence that they work (and many cats just swallow the pieces whole anyway).

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 16:47:43 PM »
We have had 3 dentals this year on the clan cats

Miss Gracie at 19 - thats when we found out about her tumour but she crunched on her gums and loved biscuits
Lima - aged 9 he lost 8 teeth and ate biscuits on his return fromthe vet not having that nice soft food we keep coming back from the vets with!
Clio - Lima's sister also 9 lost 5 teeth about 4 weeks ago and is fine and like Lima she wasn't eating that nice recovery food either just Royal Canin!

All ours have been fine but the dentals have been on vets advice and all have recovered well and its just as well Tiger likes the Recovery food with his insulin injection in the morning as we buy 4 packets every time someone is off colour!!!!! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 15:57:28 PM »
a couple of vets have said they will need doing in time - I just don't want to wait until she is in pain first if that makes sense

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 15:54:37 PM »
Charlie is only young yet.  He has Dentabits everyday and the vet said his teeth are perfect

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 14:59:02 PM »
I know just what you mean - Gizmo had a dental about two years ago (at the vet's recommendation) and had two or three teeth removed - she was fine afterwards and so much happier and I felt so guilty that she may have had toothache before although she showed no problems eating. 
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 14:04:21 PM »
I have this going round my head all the time!!

Jess has awfully bad breath and quite yellow teeth for a 2 year old, I'm really consious of it and always ask the vet to check them over when we've been and they have always said they are fine! But I really worry about it as he can't have many biscuits and any he does eat I'm not sure he crunches that well.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 14:01:58 PM »
lol - I just would hate to think she had toothache but I didn't do anything about it until it got to the stage where she couldn't eat, I know someone this happened to, she picked her cat up one day and realised she had got really thin and it turned out to be her teeth

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 13:53:40 PM »
mmm I did think that, I'm just being paranoid

It's a condition that affects many of us, 'paranoi-us cat-Mum-us' and for Mark 'paranoi-us cat-Dad-us' :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 13:49:53 PM »
mmm I did think that, I'm just being paranoid

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 13:48:48 PM »
I would not book her in unless the vet says its necessary, cos they have to have GA and Franta is still not right after having necessary treatment, 3 weeks ago.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
I'm the same with Alice - her teeth look yellow and worse for wear but the vet said they are fine  :Crazy: - Kylie has lovely gnashers  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
dentals
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »
do people tend to get these done because they are advised to by the vet?  Stars teeth look like they need a clean to me and the vets in past have mentioned she needs to chew on biscuits more etc but have never actually said bring her in to have them done - would it be weird if I just booked her in?

Link to CatChat