Author Topic: Psycho Cat  (Read 2236 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Psycho Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 13:45:02 PM »
can't think of anything useful to add other than what has already been said.... although I WILL say... he is absolutely stunning!!! :Luv2:  :Luv2:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
A laser toy might also be an option, if he loves it then it works as a great distraction something I often have to put into place when my Charley decides the best thing to play with is a sleeping old man. It's also easier to carry than a fishing rod :P

ps Purrs shop laser toy comes highly recommended from Charley.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:52:30 AM »
Hello, I had the same problem when we brought Basil home from a shelter. He would bite and swat with his claws when we stroked him. As someone has already suggested, avoiding eye contact with him is a good idea. Whenever Basil bit me, I'd just stop paying him attention. He's been with us for 6 months now and no longer bites or scratches me and quite enjoys a bit of a cuddle so your lovely guy probably just needs time to get used to being safe and secure.

Offline cutie mcwhiskers

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 21:50:24 PM »

Is that with or without a pair of jeans?

with!  :rofl:

The following link is very good:  http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html

thanks i'll have a look at that

Wow he is gorgeous, look at his chubby chops   

i know i love his chubby chops!  :)

What do your other cats think of this hunk moving in?

we've had a lot of noise and some warning bops from the girls, fiddy's just avoiding him at
the moment but there's been no serious fights, touch wood!  when he's asleep the girls are
ok with him and will settle down near him which is a good sign.  they're all quite laid back where
as he hardly ever sits still and wants to play all the time and with him being a lot bigger than the
girls they're a little nervous of him, hopefully they'll all settle down soon  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 19:05:32 PM »
Wow he is gorgeous, look at his chubby chops  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

I find blowing in the face lightly works, but read not to make eye contact at the same time. They often learn these behaviours from people using their hands to rough them up as small kittens  :tired:

What do your other cats think of this hunk moving in?
He should hopefully continue to calm down as his hormones subside  ;D

PS. Whats your address   :car: :car: :car: :car:  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 18:06:22 PM »
The following link is very good:  http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 18:03:00 PM »
i would have much preferred answering the door with a fishing rod in hand!  :)

Is that with or without a pair of jeans? :bum:

Offline cutie mcwhiskers

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 16:39:46 PM »
the doorbell rings. Said person gets up and answers it - still fishing rod in hand - and then goes ''umm.. well, yeah THIS is for... umm.. my cat - so that he won't bite me!''

believe me there's more embarrassing ways to answer the door!  like wearing an old pair of jeans for decorating and forgetting there's a big hole in the bum when the window cleaner knocks on the door, you turn round to go and get your purse and that's when you suddenly realise your flashing your bum to him and then have to go back and face him! :shy: :-[
i would have much preferred answering the door with a fishing rod in hand!  :)

I read somewhere that blowing in their face can act as an instant distraction

thanks, i'll try that see what he does

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »
I read somewhere that blowing in their face can act as an instant distraction (if you don't happen to have the fishing rod handy) also a low noise sometimes works like a low humm or growl also if he goes for your hand when giving a stroke or tummy rub to let your hand, arm go limp but you probably already knew that.

He is beautiful.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
 :rofl: I can ONLY imagine!! I wonder what Sasa and Misa are thinking?!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 23:25:03 PM »
Imagine what I have been doing in the catshow LOL  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 23:21:34 PM »
but think you need some fishing rod type toys to distract him from attcking. keep one by your side at all times
I suddenly started giggling, imagining this person sitting by the sofa trying to watch Eastenders with a fishing rod firmly in the hand.  :rofl: I don't know, it's late and I've got the giggles. Now the next scenario is: the doorbell rings. Said person gets up and answers it - still fishing rod in hand - and then goes ''umm.. well, yeah THIS is for... umm.. my cat - so that he won't bite me!''

Anyway, it's late, I shall go to bed now, I'm giggling so much I can't type!!!!  :rofl:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline cutie mcwhiskers

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 22:21:21 PM »

Thanks, he is a very handsome boy  :)

yes he plays out during the day but i keep them all in at night, he's very active compared to my other lazy lot.
we have a big scratchy play centre thing that we made for them all, he's the only one who uses that all the time
and never scratches anything else, he is a good boy most of the time  :evillaugh:

we have one of those fishing rod toys with a feather at the end of it that he loves, i'll keep it with me and try
distracting him with that see if it helps, thanks Gill

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 22:04:54 PM »
He is stunning  ;D

No you dont shout at him or punish him but think you need some fishing rod type toys to distract him from attcking. keep one by your side at all times and get him chasing them as part of play sessions,,,,,,,,,,,we recomend da bird from the shop  :rofl:.

I can only suggest that maybe he is trying to get attention but I am sure in time he will stop doing this when he has fully understood that he is nice and safe and has a home of his own  ;D

has he got some toys and a scratching [ost and does he go outside?

Offline cutie mcwhiskers

• Adult Cat
Psycho Cat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 21:59:51 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, we recently took on a stray tom cat and have since had him neutered.
He has a habit of biting when your stroking him, i remember reading somewhere that this is because
he's not used to letting his guard down and suddenly realises he's vulnerable so attacks, this isn't too
bad because we've learnt to spot the little signals and stop before he pounces.  the problem is that
sometimes he just randomly attacks, for example the other day he was sat near me on the couch
and without warning pounced on my arm and started biting me!  another time he was sat on the back
of the couch and pounced on my shoulder and started biting me!

i don't know what to do for the best when he does this, do i shout at him?  how can i get him to stop
this behaviour cause my arms are covered in scratches!

He's called thomas o'malley and the vet thinks he's between 2-5 years old, so he's only a baby  :)

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat