Author Topic: Milbamax kitten warning  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Milbamax kitten warning
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
There have been some bad reactions to Tricat and I stopped my vet giving it to Misa cos he was not well at all when he had it to start with.

There is one very bad case in Scandinavia , I think, that is documented on the web, I did a search last year before misas jabs.

My vet says that a bad reaction happens withing an hour and they have to be treated immediately, which you have had done...............I hope that she is OK  :hug:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »
Luna is doing okay and being looked after by the vet nurse for the weekend.. I have just spoken to the new owners and they are still willing to adopt her whatever.. Isnt that nice?

She said to me "abit like children animals you take them as you find them"

With luck this is a one off and she can be fit to go next week sometime. It may be that they are advised not to have her further vac.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 19:42:22 PM »
Did she have the FeLV jab?  I've heard of a few cases where cats have fitted after this or had a bad reaction especially kittens?  I only mentioned whether it was possible she'd ingested a toxin as I didn't know how long after she came in she was in the vets and took ill as this is the usual cause.  By the sounds of it, I would put it down to a bad reaction from the vaccine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 19:46:31 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 19:39:28 PM »
Thats what we thought, but the vets havnt heard of it.. She was wormed 2 wks ago and then wormed today.. Unlikely to of ingested anything as Caroline is a nurse!

Perhaps just one of those things... But i hope she dosnt fit again. We are unlikely to get her second vac just incase though...

Thanks
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 19:30:06 PM »
I've just phoned my vets again now and spoke to the other vet nurse.  She was wondering whether it's possible that she's ingested something before they took her in?  Usually fitting is caused by a toxin and the worse culprit is Bob Martin flea stuff.  If she was milbemaxed whilst in the vets and fitted on the way home, it wouldn't happen that quick as it would have to be digested first for a reaction.  The jabs possibly but again, some would react, some wouldn't but my vets haven't had any reacting to the jabs either but the Leukaemia one then yes, that is likely.

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 19:23:28 PM »
Not sure about the flea stuff, Caroline would of i think done it when she first came in.. As for vac thats what we thought, but we contacted all our vets and they have not had any cases like that for years..

She wasnt underweight and do really well (see her on our catchat link Canterbury CP under Kent)...

It may just be one of those things, but we are going to have to be careful if the lady does decide to still take her and she may have to be vac and end up in vets care for a few hours afterward to see if she is okay..

Caroline was very upset!

This week we have had scares with Alice, Cleo and Luna.. Not a good week for vets i feel...

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 19:04:33 PM »
If she had just had her jabs, I would be more inclined to think it was a reaction to that  :-:  I take it she was deflead as well?  If so, what flea stuff did they use?  I used Stronghold on one a few weeks ago, 24 hours later she started fitting and sadly she died.  The vet said he'd not had any reacting to Stronghold but that it worked within 24 hours and that's when she started with the fits.  I think it's like with anything, some cats/kittens would have a bad to reaction to something and others of the same weight etc, it wouldn't bother.

I hope the poor babe will be okay bless her  :hug:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 19:08:01 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 18:49:57 PM »
Really strange you should mention this..
We have a 9wk old kitten Luna in our care that was found in a car engine and rescued by PB.. Today she went to the vets to be given vac etc and had already been wormed when she first came in with milbamax kitten wormer.. She was a good weight..

Coming back from the vets she started fitting and Caroline took her straight back where they saw her and immediately put on a drip and given emergency care. the vets have no idea why she was having a fit..

We though we had lost her but she stablised and came round although we are not sure if there is any damage to the brain etc.. She is in at the vets tonigh and over the weekend being monitored. No one has any idea why this happend or whether it was just pure chance it all happened at once.. She was a very nervy puss.

We had a home for her to go tomorrow but that obv has to be delayed until we know more.

none of our vets report a bad reaction to the vac (Tricat).. so we are abit confused..

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Milbamax kitten warning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 18:21:00 PM »
I normally use Milbamax on kittens and have mentioned this before but the vets have mentioned it again today so thought I would remind peeps when using Milbemax on kittens that they should be weighed beforehand.  It is not recommended for kittens under 6 weeks old and kittens have to be over 0.5kg regardless of age.  Up to 1kg kittens should have just half a tablet not a full one.  The vets said it is possible to overdose on Milbemax and they had a litter of kittens in a few weeks ago that were 10 weeks old, they gave wormers for them and all reacted badly as they were under a kg.  They gave them on the age and not the weight.  The reaction they got was they appeared stoned and it took a good 24 hours to get out of the system.  So no panic, but just a warning to check the weights before giving.  I normally only give half a tablet anyway but I know a lot do give a full one.

Link to CatChat