So sorry for your loss Andy.  :hug: :hug:

RIP Tabby  :( :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Tabby
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 17:25:36 PM »
I'm so sad to read of your loss, Andy. Its a brave and strong decision you took, and the right one. RIP Tabby sweetheart, you were so very loved.   

There are many kind and understanding folk on here who helped me immeasurably through my loss, Andy, and I hope you will come back when you need us. It may be tomorrow, or next year, or twenty years from now - whatever, we will help you remember Tabby in your own way and in your own time.

:hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
So sorry for your loss AndyP  :hug:

God bless your gorgeous girl, Tabby xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline AndyP

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tabby
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm so grateful. Tabby would love playing with a pair of headphones and I'm grateful to have a video of her playing with them. Hundreds of pictures, but just a single video which is incredibly comforting to watch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:58:45 AM by AndyP »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
Hello Andy

I'm so very sorry that you've found us in devastatingly painful circumstances, and know only too well how that feeling of loss is, when you're trying to adjust to the simple fact the cat you loved so dearly is no longer there, forming the warp and the weft of your everyday life together.

Tabby sounds like she had the most wonderful relationship with you, and you had the most rewarding of lifetimes together.  That's the best we can ever hope for from any relationship, be it human or otherwise.  the love exchanged  far outweighs the pain of parting when it's time to do so, although its easy to forget when we're grieving so badly.

Like Stuart said, we forget that our cats age more quickly than we do, and time always flies when you're enjoying life.  The testament to a life well lived is the memories you have of Tabby, and the role she played as a very precious member of your family.

I would hope in time that the pain will ease, and the good memories will take over, bringing you more joy than unhappiness.

Until that time, offering you a hug  :hug: and of course somewhere to share your memories of Tabby. 

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 22:31:56 PM »
Hi Andy, First off I am so very sorry for your loss, like you, it was exactly the same way that I found Purrs, it is an immense comfort to talk to people who know exactly where you are coming from and understand the pain you are feeling just now :hug:
You have to remember that you gave this lady a brilliant life for over 17 years and when it came to the final kindness, you had the strength to be there for Tabby and let her go with dignity. Pain, yes it is there for a while, some for longer than other's..... It took me quite a few years with My Hamish, struggling with the guilt that I never noticed he was unwell, and of course, forgetting that they grow old before us  :(
With Misty, I accepted it more quickly, mainly because I had done everything to the best of my ability to keep his quality of life going to the very end.
Yes it is never easy to let these furkids go, but it is just the cycle of life, Memories of habit will be very sharp for you just now :'( but with time they will become less painful, Forget them? No you will never forget them. Tabby has left a pawprint on your heart and it will be there always  :hug:

Remember, we are all here for you if you need to talk  :hug: :hug: :hug:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 22:32:45 PM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 22:05:48 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 15:45:25 PM »
So very sorry for your loss  :hug: :hug:

RIP Tabby you have left a purr in your humans heart

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
I think you can tell when they are ready its says a lot for your friendship

Offline AndyP

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
I appreciate your kind comments. Looking back there were some important moments over the last few days - she took a tour of the garden on Sunday morning and yesterday morning before we left, she visited each of her favourite spots in the house. She did that without any prompting from me whatsoever. Apart from being medically necessary, I'm comfortable that it was her way of telling me that she was ready. It's just so tough to deal with. 

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 23:11:02 PM »
I am so very sorry for your loss :(
I know how it feels. It eats to the core of your heart and the missing hurts so bad it feels like it will never go away.
She is safe now and the decision you made to set her free was a great gift and  the greatest love at all.
In time she will settle in your heart and stay there forever but it takes time. One day you will smile again at her memory and a day will apss and you will think 'it didn't hurt so bad today'
We all understand how you feel so take care.
Play well at the bridge Tabby and send a rainbow to tell your dad you are safe xx
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 22:30:18 PM »
My heart goes out to you for the loss of your chatty, loving girl.  It sounds like you two fitted each together perfectly and I know you must miss her terribly.  Its awfully hard to make the decision you have had to make today, even though you know it had to be made and it was right to do so.

Tabby sounds like a lovely little lady and she was very much loved and will be very much missed.

Play hard at the bridge little Tabby.

Offline AndyP

• Kitten
Tabby
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 20:48:31 PM »
As a new member, I'm so grateful to be able to write about this and post here. Today I lost a friend of 18 years, a beautiful cat called Tabby. She picked us to look after her almost 17 years ago and since then has repaid us far beyond what we gave her in love, affection and warmth. Today I made the most painful decision of my life to let her go. While I know it was the right decision, it doesn't stop it being hard. I'm devastated that she is gone. I'm constantly looking for her, thinking I've heard her when I haven't and I miss her so much it's impossible to describe. I found some comfort by putting together a book of my favourite pictures of her this afternoon that I plan to get printed in her memory. She was a chatty, talkative little lady and always had something to say. She was also incredibly affectionate and she'd normally be sat right beside my chair while I'm sat here at the computer. Clingy at times but also able to walk away and leave me alone when I was busy, knowing she could also come right back over and distract me anytime she wanted to and I'd give her all the attention she needed. She was 18 and had long since established a carefully crafted routine that suited her - a weekday as well as weekend routine - and another reason why every time I turn around I know I'll miss something that Tabby would have done or said. I have no idea how long it will take me to get over her loss but I know that I will never forget her. Right now, my heart is broken.

Link to CatChat