Author Topic: RIP Sooty xx  (Read 10157 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: RIP Sooty xx
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 21:13:31 PM »
So sorry I just can't read all this for crying  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
Sorry for your loss.

Sooty will be playing on Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
Must have been awful for you  :hug: If this dog has only just appeared and you've had no issues in the past I wonder if it's a horrible coincidence that Sooty passed away in the same week as poor Rudolf getting attacked.  Life can be so cruel sometimes  :hug:

Well it could have been I suppose Helen, but I immediately thought that and so did Steve, the position of the body, mouth slightly open and the blood there, but no other visible injurys.  Also with it being the weekend is it someone letting them out then?  It was hard to tell whether it was the dog in the allotment and I couldn't stay to look when the dog had Rudolf, I wish I had been brave enough to look to see if it had a collar on, but I didn't think, plus I was shaking and felt ill, I just couldn't  :'(   
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
Must have been awful for you  :hug: If this dog has only just appeared and you've had no issues in the past I wonder if it's a horrible coincidence that Sooty passed away in the same week as poor Rudolf getting attacked.  Life can be so cruel sometimes  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
I've just got in touch with the council/dog warden section and the lady took my details and said she'd inform the dog wardens for them to check it out.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »
oh my god that is awful, I would definately tell the local dog warden,

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:57 AM »
That's so awful. Poor Rudolf. RIP x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
Thanks  :hug:  I couldn't see no and ne we've not had dogs in before.  Steve had just left for work and I could hear some loud noise outside and had a strange feeling a dog had got in the feral  hut because when it's cats fighting you hear them vocally, so to get in it the hole it was quite a small dog.   I diddn't know what to do I  just ran out and kicked at the hut and shouted and they did come out and I saw a smallish shorthaired black dog after Rudolf, I then ran back inside because I was scared myself.  I went out to the front to see if I could see anyone to help, whilst I was ringing Steve, because his unit is only 5 mins from home.  I went back inside and the dog was dragging Rudolf on the lawn.  I went round to see  my neighbour and to warn her because she has 3 cats and Steve went into the allotments to see if he could see anyone.  He saw the younger lad further back in the allotment who has the donkey and 3 dogs.  Steve asked if he'd seen a black dog and explained what had happened and he said I have a black dog and 2 others but they are up there chained up, unless I walk them otherwise they would get my geese so it's not mine but he said he would look out.  So we went out later to make the 2 holes in the fence as small as we can and I looked where the dogs were tied up, with my binoculars  but the black one looked a bit wiry haired and had some grey on it's face.  My neighbour also said earlier that the one from the allotments got in her garden once, so she made her holes smaller but she said it was a terrier type, and I don't think this one was, I described him from what a could see as a small labrador but it would have been too small to be one unless it was young and they are quite gentle dogs I think.  It's obviously someone letting their dog roam but there's an estate down the field and one the other side of the allotment so it could have come from either of them.  I just feel awful that I couldn't help Rudolf  :'( he's been with us 11 years now.  The trouble is they've always slept in the allotments somewhere, (or in our hut sometimes) and we can't stop them going in there because there will be lots of other ways they can get in, even jump over the high fences.  I just hope they keep themselves safe and the chap Steve spoke to finds out whose dog it is and lets them know.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:34:59 AM by Janeyk »

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 00:08:19 AM »
So very sorry to hear about this  RIP Sooty and Rudolph

:RIP: :candle:    :RIP: :candle:   
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 23:42:49 PM »
Thats terrible , poor Rudolf RIP

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 22:35:21 PM »
So sorry to hear that  :'(  :hug: :hug: :hug: RIP little Rudolf, he'll be safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Has there been issues with dogs in the past too? Could you see if the dog had a collar on or was maybe a stray? I'd definiotely report it to the dog warden in the morning.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 22:08:48 PM »
Oh Jane, that's just unbearable. I'm so sorry there was no happy ending for Sooty and Rudolph. 

Can you let the Council warden know there's a cat killing dog on the loose? he may have some advice.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 21:56:08 PM »
So sorry to hear that, it's absolutely awful.

I love all animals but something really needs to be done about all these out of control dogs. They seem to be a problem everywhere. 

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 20:58:06 PM »
OMG that's terrible.  :shocked:  What a dreadful few days for you.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Rudolph and Sooty

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 16:56:14 PM »
Oh NO Jane that is awful and so sad :'(
The dogs should be on lead at all times >:(
Poor Rudolf, RIP sweetheart :'( :'(
Sending you and Steve lots os gentle hugs :hug: :hug:
x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 16:07:02 PM »
Very sadly this morning I saw dog chase a feral in our garden and unfortunately killed it so that could have been what happened to Sooty.  The dog left Rudolf identical to how as Sooty was :'(  We've been all round the garden and made the gaps they come in so tight now that only the cats can get in but unfortunately we still can't stop any dogs getting them in the allotments.  We've been asking round who the dog belongs to but no luck so far, it's been heartbreaking this week.

RIP Rudolf xx

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 16:49:47 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 15:51:03 PM »
I did wonder about cardiac arrest Jane  :hug:  One of our cats, Mitten, moved into the near neighbours' house many years ago and we used to (and still do) cat sit for them.  We found her body one morning  in the bedroom when they were on holiday.   She was only aged 10  :(  Not a mark on her and a little blood at her mouth.  We brought her body straight to the vet for a pm (thankfully that is what neighbours would have done)  Vet said he thought it was cardiac arrest. 

I do hope you can soon stop torturing yourself but it is indeed very early days.  I still find myself in tears at times over the loss of Fred in July 2011.  As you are aware, it gets easier but takes time  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 23:27:31 PM »
:grouphug:

I'm glad you got her collar back  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 22:05:36 PM »
I am so sorry about Sooty  :'(
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 17:33:54 PM »
It is far too soom for easier but in time it you will get there  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 16:25:49 PM »
oh hun it does get easier I promise but it is early days yet,  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 16:23:01 PM »
I've been to see my vet and she said the only way to really tell would pm, and even if I'd taken her when we found her it's often not easy to tell without a pm.  She said it could have been rta, or poison or she may have just died with cardiac arrest and the blood can be from that.  I also went to look round the allotment again today it really seems unlikely she would have gone under one of the gates to the road because to get to where she was laid she would most likely have passed the hole in the fence back to our garden.  Steve spotten her collar as well, to the right of the hole on the way to where she was laid (the opposite side to where she would have gone to the road another reason it seems she didn't go far or near the road.  I just can't stop crying though, hopefully it will get easier in time  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot  :hug:  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 22:25:03 PM »
So sad, Janey. I'm just so upset for you.  :hug: :hug:

RIP Sooty xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 21:44:09 PM »
So sorry for your loss :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 21:41:08 PM »
 :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 20:18:39 PM »
 Oh Jane i am so sorry :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: You and Steve gave Sooty a loving and wonderful home  she was loved and she knew it. Not many people take in oldies and that make you and steve very special with big hearts. :hug: :hug:

RIP beautiful little girl. :'( :'(
x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 17:53:50 PM »
thanks Rosella  :hug: :hug:

I was going to ring the vets but I am calling in tomorrow anyway to let them know about Sooty etc so I'd planned to have a quick word with the vet if I can, I'll see what she says.   

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 17:17:48 PM »
Oh Jane I'm so so sorry for your loss  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's so difficult to know what to do for the best.  It would be very painful for you to take her to the vet now  :'( but it's so painful torturing yourself wondering what could have happened. Don't think vet would be able to do much at this stage other than examine her for obvious outside signs as pretty sure vet told me years ago that a PM needs to be carried out quickly to find cause of death  :hug:  Perhaps you could ring your vet for advice?

Surely very unlikely to be a dog as she would have more obvious signs of injury?  :hug:

RIP Sooty sweetheart  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 16:27:27 PM »
Thanks everyone   :hug: :hug:

Gill I still keep thinking of doing that, I know it won't go down well though if I suggest it.  I went in the allotments for a bit of look round and to see if I could find her collar because that was missing, although she could've caught that on anything, there's all sorts of crates and containers and large grass and twigs etc.  Steve first saw her over the fence in the alotment which is like a separate bit next to Garys' and the other side has a gate so if the gate was open she could've got in that part but if she went the road way she would have to pass the hole in the garden to get to where she was laid through the gate again becaus the fence would be too high.  It's hard to explain but it seems that if she did get out onto the road she would have gone passed our garden to lay where she did.  Steve thinks like what you said Mumblesdaughter, that she died naturally laid on the corrugated sheeting rather than grass because it would have been really warm.  We don't know her age and she could have been really old for all we know but it's the blood on the mouth, I've thought of poison, rta, illness, did a dog get her, it was a safety collar but did she catch her mouth on it and it pull off.  I never thought to look at her claws I just checked her body I suppose I was in shock and you don't think of everything at the time. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 16:27:46 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 16:16:40 PM »
So sorry to hear your sad news Janey  :hug: :hug:

RIP Sooty  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 15:48:54 PM »
I'm so sorry Janey it's so hard when you don't know what happened. It happened to me with Greycat we came home and found her lying in front of the house. I thought she was asleep so I got out of the car to move her and I'll never forget the moment when I saw she was dead. We had only been away for about an hour. I remembered that the vet said their claws get broken if they are hit by a car. I checked and her claws were fine. She had just like Sooty a spot of blood from her mouth. I can only think she had a heart attack, stroke or something like that. I think it sound like that's probably what happened with Sooty too.  :hug:

I still wonder though.   

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 15:32:05 PM »
Oh Janey I am heart broken for you and I am sure Sooty knew that she was loved to the end and had a wonderful life with you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

There is no way of easing the pain but if you really want to take her to the vet its not too late  :hug: :hug:

RIP Sooty you have left a purr in your slaves heart
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 16:11:15 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 15:25:45 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  I wish I could say something to comfort you Janey but I fully understand that when you don't know what happened its human nature to imagine the worst. Try to think of her as having just fallen asleep happily in the sun and not woken up.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »
it does get easier, we often laugh about him and his funny character, although it is still tinged with sadness that we let him down.   try to think of the nice times and all the ways you made sootys life better  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
Thanks, it's awful wondering what happened though.  We've always thought they've been safe and not near roads, and although she nips out and will go in the feral hut in the garden all day in summer she's never gone far.  Also the ferals go in the allotment all the time so what happened to her.  I've asked the chap who has small holding and he says he never saw a black cat in there, but there's gaps under his gate so they can get out on the road he said.  I asked if he put any poison down or if there was anti-freeze anywhere and he said not, but who knows.  Also there's another lad in there who has the donkey and dogs and I was going to ask him this morning when I heard him talking but he'd gone before I got chance.  Am I just torturing myself though, he might know and I might feel worse then and I can't bring her back.  We've always had oldies and gone through loss so many times but I've never felt as sad as this, I suppose it's the circumstances and not knowing  :(

:(  :hug: :hug: :hug:

The not knowing must be agonising  :hug: I know it is far easier said than done but try and focus on the times you had together rather than her passing  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Well I wanted to keep her body until the next morning to take to the vets but Steve wanted to bury her straight away, and the rest of my family I spoke persauded me not to but I still have doubts and sort of wonder whether I should have, I hope it gets easier I've not cried so much in a long time  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
it is horrible wondering, we had a similar thing with algie, he was perfect and curled up asleep in our back garden - we took his body to the vet and he found the tell tale scuffed nails which confirmed he had been in an rta but managed to get home - I'm not sure it was any easier to be honest, we just beat ourselves up about not catproofing sooner. 

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
Thanks, it's awful wondering what happened though.  We've always thought they've been safe and not near roads, and although she nips out and will go in the feral hut in the garden all day in summer she's never gone far.  Also the ferals go in the allotment all the time so what happened to her.  I've asked the chap who has small holding and he says he never saw a black cat in there, but there's gaps under his gate so they can get out on the road he said.  I asked if he put any poison down or if there was anti-freeze anywhere and he said not, but who knows.  Also there's another lad in there who has the donkey and dogs and I was going to ask him this morning when I heard him talking but he'd gone before I got chance.  Am I just torturing myself though, he might know and I might feel worse then and I can't bring her back.  We've always had oldies and gone through loss so many times but I've never felt as sad as this, I suppose it's the circumstances and not knowing  :(

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:02:46 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
RIP Sooty xx
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
So sorry to hear this Jane :( :hug:

It's inevitable to think of the what if's but you gave her a wonderful retirement home with everything you could offer her - including her freedom which I'm sure she loved having :hug:

RIP little Sooty, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Link to CatChat