Author Topic: Dented cat food tins - OK to use?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Dented cat food tins - OK to use?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 17:52:14 PM »

Oh puuuhlease! Dinah would NEVER eat from a silver plate, anything less than than a Ming saucer would be completely unacceptable  :naughty: :evillaugh:

Reminds me of a story .....

Little lad feeds his Grannies cat and chooses a rather pretty saucer to put the catfood on.  The cat is quite happy, but Granny is not!

"Johnny, not that saucer, dear, its Spode China"

"Well, I didnt Spo it" Johnny replied  :briggin:

I always use our Denby white when I run out of clean cat dishes. Last week though, OH was eating cereal out of one of the pasta bowls I bought for the cats last year and thought it was gross. He said a bowl is a bowl. I suppose he is right as it isn't any different  :evillaugh: - Luckily everything gets washed at 60 in the dishwasher.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 16:56:12 PM »
Make sure you email them to complain everytime, i get 10% off most my orders as each complaint earns me a voucher code so it kinda makes up for their incompentant packaging

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 21:36:24 PM »
Are zooplus getting worse?  Or did I just have a bad one?  My delivery was terribly packaged too.  The food wasn't too bad but the litter boxes were terrible.  One was virtually giving way at the bottom (and when I started to try and open it it did give way and everything fell out the bottom) and the other one had obviously come apart because I could see lots of additional stick tape on it.  When I opened that one, one of the bags of litter had come open and been re-sealed with lots of sellotape.  The box was full of cat litter that had come out of the bag  >:(

I had lots of dented tins as usual.  I always use them (otherwise I'd be throwing away about 2/3 of the order  :shify:) and my boys have never suffered any consequences.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 21:28:43 PM »

Oh puuuhlease! Dinah would NEVER eat from a silver plate, anything less than than a Ming saucer would be completely unacceptable  :naughty: :evillaugh:

Reminds me of a story .....

Little lad feeds his Grannies cat and chooses a rather pretty saucer to put the catfood on.  The cat is quite happy, but Granny is not!

"Johnny, not that saucer, dear, its Spode China"

"Well, I didnt Spo it" Johnny replied  :briggin:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 21:29:19 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 21:23:54 PM »
Please, please tell me that you serve your cat(s) food on a silver plate, garnished with parsley and a lemon wedge  :rofl:  :naughty:  :rofl:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 21:08:57 PM »

However, the boys will never forget that you gave them food that wasn't perfectly presented  :evillaugh:.

Please, please tell me that you serve your cat(s) food on a silver plate, garnished with parsley and a lemon wedge  :rofl:  :naughty:  :rofl:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 21:02:42 PM »
This food though is bound to last for years as you forget to feed them anyhow,so the question is is food thats after its before date ok for them and the answer is NO :evillaugh:

:shify:
:evillaugh: :evillaugh: Thanks Gwen, you made me spit my tea out!

When I was a sulky teenager my Mum made me put a can of Whiskas back on a supermarket shelf because it was dented.  I complained, 'cos I couldn't see what the problem was, and a woman standing nearby said in a shocked voice: "Well, cats are fussy too!".  I was mortified :shocked:.

Unless the cans are punctured I agree with everyone else that the food will be fine.  However, the boys will never forget that you gave them food that wasn't perfectly presented  :evillaugh:.

Glad to have been on service :naughty:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 20:57:59 PM »
This food though is bound to last for years as you forget to feed them anyhow,so the question is is food thats after its before date ok for them and the answer is NO :evillaugh:

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: Thanks Gwen, you made me spit my tea out!

When I was a sulky teenager my Mum made me put a can of Whiskas back on a supermarket shelf because it was dented.  I complained, 'cos I couldn't see what the problem was, and a woman standing nearby said in a shocked voice: "Well, cats are fussy too!".  I was mortified :shocked:.

Unless the cans are punctured I agree with everyone else that the food will be fine.  However, the boys will never forget that you gave them food that wasn't perfectly presented  :evillaugh:.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 19:28:57 PM »
Yes the stuff they should use is called double-walled corrugated which is much stronger. I have only ever had a few deliveries from them and each one has arrived in a state.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 18:33:02 PM »
I emailed them at 11:47 and they have replied at 12:29 asking me to send photos of the damaged tins

They asked me to do this and i asked where to send the pics as the address wasnt for incoming mail, they ignored me so a few days later i asked again and i got an email saying that under no circumstances should i have been asked for pictures and please accept their apologies and refund (i got to keep the food  ;D )

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 14:14:00 PM »
Good grief - you're supposed to use double thickness boxes for anything international, cos it really gets kicked about.

I used to work in a supermarket depot, and yep - as long as there are no splits or cracks to the metal, and the cans are in date, they're fine to use.  Check them over for hairline fractures before you open them - otherwise no problem.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 13:21:24 PM »
Surely they should know how to pack things safely  :Crazy:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 13:14:42 PM »
I've always found the opposite, I paid the extra £1 to have it delivered by DHL (GLS is free still) as at least DHL attempt to repair the boxes.  All the ones I've ever had from GLS (Parcelforce) have been in a much worse condition.  Having said that I order 3 months food at a time so the weight is always 20-30 kg per box but it's common sense that flimsy cardboard won't withstand 20kg of weight  :doh:

I'm also doubly annoyed as I stacked the boxes on top of each other by the front door and one fell off and badly damaged the screen that I have to stop the boys getting out the front so although it's my fault I now have a broken screen as well as lots of dented tins  >:(

Am glad everyone seems to think the tins are OK to eat though :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 13:07:25 PM »
I will say that I normally plump for the GWS delivery option, which has always arrived in perfect condition, as the one time I chose DHL it came in the same state as those boxes, Helen.

I concur that dented tins are safe to use so long as the lining isn't ruptured (which on modern cans is unlikely).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

Hey, I missed this you cheeky mare  :slap:  :evillaugh:

If I remember to feed them twice every day it should last three months  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »
I emailed them at 11:47 and they have replied at 12:29 asking me to send photos of the damaged tins - I sent them this too as it shows how much tape it needed to keep the box in one piece  :doh:

I have stressed how this happens with every heavy order that I've ever had as they're not packaged adequately and they use the flimsiest cardboard with one strip of sticky tape  :shocked:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:56:08 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
I agree they should be ok but you did right in letting them know and with your next order I would also remind them by adding a note.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
I often get dented whiskas supermeat tins and they are fine just that the tins are dented,the main thing is that they arent "open" or "cracks" but then you'd be able to smell them if they were.

Love me,love my animals.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »
Some supermarkets  have a dented can "bin" where you can buy (human) food at a lower price, simply because the can is dented.  Im sure you will be OK.   :briggin:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »
Thanks Rob, if it poisons them I'll blame you then  :evillaugh:

I meant I'd happily pay for delivery or if I was under the threshold pay more than £2.90 which is ridiculously cheap considering it comes from Germany!  Normally postage / high postage puts me off but it's worth it for the Bozita alone. They have started doing a few new flavours now too  :wow:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
I would yes

more for delivery? its free with orders that size anyway :doh:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Dented cat food tins - OK to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
My Zooplus order came today and true to form they sent 23kg in a flimsy box which DHL absolutely COVERED in 'repackaged by DHL' tape to try and get it here in one piece :innocent:  The other box was 30kg but it had a green plastic strip thingy so survived the joureny.  I ordered a few new (canned) foods to try and the majority of them are dented.

I've emailed Zooplus asking them to use stronger boxes and even charge MORE for delivery as long as they package them correctly so will see what they say but was wondering will the dented tins be OK to use?

Link to CatChat