Author Topic: Gwyn's back legs arent working properly  (Read 27628 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Gwyn's back legs arent working properly
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
I'm glad she's still doing well, Gillian.  Fingers crossed she continues to do well without the steroids  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2007, 21:13:03 PM »
Fingers crossed she is fine without the meds Gillian, and yep, I have had to cancel apps or turn up late due to cats - the best ones though have been going with scratches that are still bleeding!!
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2007, 21:08:42 PM »
It's true, so uncanny how they sense the "danger".  Hobbes was like that, whenever I had to place him in a cage for a vet visit I would do all my best to act normal, and cheerily call for him just as normal (so I thought)f, he would quickly skulk away to a hiding spot, instead of hopping towards me like he usually did.  I think it has got to do with their sensitive hearing too, they would detect the slightest tension and stress in your voice in these occasion.

My continued well wishes for Gwynn, so she wiill be able to be done with these scary vet trips soon!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 21:09:37 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2007, 20:49:47 PM »
Oh yes, cancelled vet visits quite common in our household - little boogers.

Glad that Gwynnie has gained some weight and had a normal temp, fingers crossed that she is truly on the road to recovery xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2007, 20:38:31 PM »
What a sweetheart!  My Dragan climbed inside the settee recently to avoid the vet.  He gave himself away though when I was calling him and he answered!" (not very bright).  I am sure I must give off some sort of different scent on vet visit days as he knows way ahead of the time.  Probably because I am stressed about it too.  He still isn't totally sure of me even though his last visit was over a week ago.Hope Gwyn is ok off her steroids. :hug:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 20:39:17 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2007, 17:24:09 PM »
Poor Gwynnie being so scared  :hug:

I hope that this will gradually sort itself out but such a worry not knowing what the cause is.

I used to have such games with Kocka cos she was terrified of the vets and she would listen to me making the appointment grrrrrrrrrr.

I had to cancel more than one cos she went missing and on one occaision I knew she was in the house but just couldnt find her!

She had crawled under a cupboard in the front room that was so close to the floor and only discovered her after I had put the phone down telling the vets she was missing again!

I had searched the whole place and flap was shut, thats how she knew, and after searching each room shut the door and when i sat on the sofa in complete confusion something caused me to look at the cupboard and I thought it was impossible to get under there but I would look anyway........yes one grey face and yellow eyes mocking me  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2007, 17:15:41 PM »
Took Gwynnie for check up this morning. I wanted to make it as calm and easy for her as possible as she'd been so scared the other evening when the surgery was really busy and full of dogs. I'd already got the cat basket from the garage into the downstairs loo the night before, and thought I was acting completely normally so as not to raise suspicions! However, she sussed me totally BEFORE I'd even opened the door to get the basket out - and shot under the settee  :Crazy: Thats not an easy move, crouching, stretching arm, pulling out reluctant kitten! Think I've put my shoulder out!!

Anyway, her temperature was normal. She weighed in at 2.1 kg (compared to 1.8 kg) last time (can't remember when exactly, but a  week, 10 days or so), so thats really good. Vet is pleased with her progress, but still can't bring herself, as she put it, 'to jump for joy' - hmmm, thanks :-: . She first of all said we could keep her on the steroids for another couple of weeks, at the quarter tab every other day dose, but later said perhaps it would be good to see how she is without them, and can always up the dose againi if neurological signs with her legs again.

Understandably she was a bit quiet after the vets, makes me feel bad as she was doing so well, and it seems like a setback, I feel like anything out of the ordinary for her now is potentially gonig to set her back, or maybe I'm just worrying too much (ha!)  :innocent: So today she's due for a steroid tab, and I'm going to give her that one, and then stop them like the vet suggested.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2007, 16:51:22 PM »
how's the little babe today Gillian?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
fingers crossed Gillian, when are you next back at the vets?
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2007, 19:35:21 PM »
Yes I agree we all need one   :rofl:

I am sure if its the steroids a pattern will develop but Sunday she sounds just like a normal kitten and now she is probably tired  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2007, 19:31:18 PM »
Therapy sounds about right. Anyone recommend a good head shrink for all of us?  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2007, 19:22:35 PM »
now is your  our gwynnie today. i hope she is doing well  ;D

LOL!

Saturday wasnt a good day when she was sick, but Sunday you would have thought it was a different cat! practically bouncing off the walls! running around, in and out the catflap, playing with ALL her toys! Today also she's been on the go most of the day until about 2 hours ago, then she slept, came down for her tea, and went back to sleep - now am worried again coz everytime she's quiet, well I just worry! I'm not sure whether its the normal kitten play/sleep/eat activity or the see-sawing with the steroids, or she's going to get ill again. I shall need therapy after this  :Crazy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2007, 18:16:30 PM »
now is your  our gwynnie today. i hope she is doing well  ;D

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2007, 17:19:11 PM »
More healing vibes for Gwyn

:hug:

Jas
 X

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2007, 14:51:37 PM »
Des is right about the steriods Gillian, my mum has an autoimmune disorder and when really ill she was taking 8 steriods per day, she is now down to 4 every other day - hope Gwyn is a little better

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2007, 21:50:49 PM »
Fingers crossed it is nothing, but it is important to be taken off steroids gradually, hence the every other day (same goes for humans as well).
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2007, 20:57:37 PM »
Poor Gwyn  :hug:

I believe that to get off steroids its prob best to do it slowly and not good to be on them for life but also the vet might want to know how she gets on without them, but sounds like maybe not so well.

A real diagnosis is needed .

I di hope things improve for Gwyn  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2007, 20:34:03 PM »
I asked the vet about continuing with the steroids - she'd been having quarter tab each day since Tue, he said reduce dose to quarter tab every other day. Friday was a no tablet day - she wasnt as good, her legs were still ok, but she was quieter, didnt want to eat so much, not playful. Today she ate her breakfast, and had her quarter tablet, she was quite playful after breakfast, but during the afternoon she had really runny poo, then a few hours later again, then she was sick. But later she ate her tea ok. Don't know whats happening, could it be the steroid? missing a dose then having a dose - seems odd to me to do that, messing with her system.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2007, 15:13:01 PM »
>Gillian  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending positive and healing vibes to you both~~~~~~~~

>Gwynnie  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2007, 15:10:47 PM »
fingers crossed she continues to get better

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2007, 15:07:51 PM »
I've justed posted another thread re M&S insurance (I paid monthly) automatically renewing unless you cancel the policy. I don't suppose there is any chance this applies to Gwyn? Thinking about it, isn't she too young for insurance renewal? Perhaps you meant putting insurance in place?  I only mention it in the slim hope that it might help.

Hi Ros,  :thanks: Sadly I hadnt got round to putting insurance in place for Gwyn when her 6 weeks free insurance that she came with, came to an end (the 6 wks free insurance from the breeder isnt automatically renewed). So,  I'd been getting quotes, but hadnt made any decision about which insurance company to go with - thinking I had plenty of time, she's a kitten, she's not going to be ill........... :-[

Hi Gillian, just popping in to check on little Gwyn, hope she is continuing improve xxx

:thanks: she still seems fine - everything about her seems as it should be in a young kitten, just apart from the slight weakness she still has in her back legs - but I still have that anxious knot in my stomach because of not knowing if she will continue to improve and be completely better or not.

Going to post a piccie of her I took this morning in the general section, she looks like there is nothing wrong with her at all!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
Hi Gillian, just popping in to check on little Gwyn, hope she is continuing improve xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »
what a way to learn my lesson about getting insurance renewed in good time :-[ Luckily though my vet is letting me pay bit by bit, phew!

I've justed posted another thread re M&S insurance (I paid monthly) automatically renewing unless you cancel the policy. I don't suppose there is any chance this applies to Gwyn? Thinking about it, isn't she too young for insurance renewal? Perhaps you meant putting insurance in place?  I only mention it in the slim hope that it might help.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2007, 20:52:32 PM »
Fingers crossed she continues to improve and the high titre is nothing untoward.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2007, 20:50:59 PM »
That all sounds very promising, Gillian  ;D  Let's hope her progress continues and she makes a full recovery  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2007, 20:41:45 PM »
I am so so pleased for Gwyn and you. :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2007, 19:00:54 PM »
So pleased that Gwyn is improving, made my day to read your last post Gillian xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2007, 18:51:27 PM »
Come on Gwynnie sweetheart, keep up these improvements  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2007, 18:46:52 PM »
Gillian. Your last post made my day. You must feel so relieved. If she can get in and out of catflap, she must be pretty good.

Way to go Gwynnie. Wow, out AND in through catflap. In a day! It took Freddie a week I think to figure out the way back in.  You clever, clever girl.

It took Willow 6 years  :evillaugh:

It was only when next doors Tom was in pursuit she figured it out quickly  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2007, 18:39:15 PM »
Gillian. Your last post made my day. You must feel so relieved. If she can get in and out of catflap, she must be pretty good.

Way to go Gwynnie. Wow, out AND in through catflap. In a day! It took Freddie a week I think to figure out the way back in.  You clever, clever girl.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2007, 18:10:23 PM »
Looking good  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2007, 18:04:13 PM »
Good news, hope the improvement continues and she comes on in leaps and bounds :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2007, 16:31:06 PM »
Sounds promising  :)  Go Gwynnie  :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2007, 15:53:35 PM »
oh the cute little devil and i do hope this improvement will carry on  :hug: :hug: :hug:

she may have losty some muscle strength while she has not been able to walk so that might be why she isstill a bit wobbly.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2007, 15:44:56 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your support  :Luv2:

She's actually doing rather well (I'm touching lots of wood while I say this LOL). Her legs are almost back to normal, although they lack the strength they should have and when she jumps down from something her legs tend to give way, but they are getting better every day. Her appetite is really good now and I'm feeding her 4 times a day. She's much more alert and wanting to play.

I think yesterday morning when she wouldnt eat breakfast, she was still traumatised from the vet visit the evening before. She's been through so much and stress is the last thing she needs. I only had to move the cat basket through the house to put back out in the garage, and you could see in her face she was terrified she was going to be carted off again. Antibiotics finish today, still got a few more days with the steroids. I'm really feeling quietly confident that she's going to get better.

Suddenly, last night, she discovered the cat flap! I was on the phone  and realised she'd just let herself out (only into the safe fenced bit) - first ever time she's even noticed the flap! I was convinced she wouldnt know how to get back in - but lo and behold a few minutes later, she let herself back in as if she'd been doing it all her life! ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2007, 15:25:18 PM »
how's Gwyn today Gillian, any more news?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2007, 14:58:50 PM »
Sheryl, FIP is very often misdiagnosed (the symptoms are similar to a multitude of other problems) most of the tests sent to Dr Addie are not FIP. If your friends bengal had had the virus she would not have survived  :(

Lynn, i guess that they went off the titre readings, which doesnt indicate the disease!

Hows she today Gillian?

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2007, 21:24:33 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted on this thread sooner but I do read it frequently and wish Gwyn and you Gillian all the best :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2007, 20:31:01 PM »
My friends bengal was diagnosed with FIP when she was 7 months old and the vet wasnt very optimistic, my friend would not give up on Maisy and nursed her back to health - she was on steroids and antibiotics.  She had to go back for test after test and the vets were amazed at how well she seemed.  When she was 11 months old they re did the tests and they came back Negative??  She is now 18 months old and absolutley fine.

Wishing Gwyn love and positive vibes and thinking of you Gillian xxxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2007, 19:57:47 PM »
To be honest i think fip bamboozles vets never mind anyone else.

For what its worth gillian my aunt has a teenage siamese, she had him as a kitten - took him from a "mate" of hers who had to have her "colony" of pedigrees pts due to fip (more like back of back of backstreet breeder if you catch my drift)  The kitten was desperately ill and my aunt nursed it, it had loads of tests and it apparently had fip (i know nothing more than what was said to me by my aunt so very laymans descript!)

Anyway said kitten pulled through but often throughout its life had relapses and got very poorly but perked up with antibiotics  :-:  Long and short of the story is he's about 14 now and hasnt actually had a relapse for a few years and also had general blood tests not long ago and his organs are fine which is fab anyway a siamese with perfect kidneys etc at that age.

Now i have often questioned the original prognosis and this cat has had blood tests for his titre levels numberous times in his life, they are always sky high when he was poorly and got better when he was ill  :-: 
So "IF" it was fip he supposedly had or atleast some corona virus associated illness then I just wanted to tell you that 14 years later he's still live and well  :)

Link to CatChat