Author Topic: Is Royal Canin sensitivity palatable? (Riley poorly, not eating)  (Read 15955 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: Is Royal Canin sensitivity palatable? (Riley poorly, not eating)
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 21:50:43 PM »
 :hug: hope he gets better soon

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 21:37:41 PM »
Just rang and there's no change, he's curled up hiding under the blanket in there and still hissing at any passers by  :(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 19:38:12 PM »
Helen
Hissing and Growling is good it shows he has fight in him  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 19:18:38 PM »
Yes it's horrible, trying to keep my mind off it by surfing Purrs!

He's so frightened there and all the hissing is completely out of character. The nurses couldn't believe how soppy he was with me. He's still feeling really poorly and wouldn't eat the chicken I took in and just kept licking his lips (nausea), they wouldn't let me try him on Dreamies!

The vets I go to is an official veterinary hospital and is actually the base for Vets Now so he won't have to be moved overnight. I'm going to ring them later tonight to check how he is.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 19:10:51 PM »
oh no poor Riley ......
Helen hope he gets better soon, must be horrible not having him at home  :'(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 18:20:10 PM »
Just been to visit him, he really isn't a happy bunny. His notes read: 10:30 - Hissed and growled at me, 11:45 - very angry, hissed etc etc He's such a gentle soppy thing so that's completely out of character for him.

I just spent an hour stroking him and he calmed right down but hisses everytime the nurses come through. Got to ring tomorrow at 10:00 to see how he is

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »
Hope he starts to feel better once he's hydrated  :hug:

Maybe try him on A/D when he comes home?

To be honest I don't think theres much point in separating, after all if its infectious, they've already been together prior to this, when it was probably at its most infectious anyway - and if it stresses them..  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
Poor Riley - I hope he's feeling better soon  :hug:  Poor Lucas too having to be separated from his buddy  :hug:

Offline princessmaizie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
Hope Riley is feeling better soon! Sending vibes and cuddles for Riley, more cuddles for Lucas and a  :hug: for you, you must be so worried.  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
Once they get fluids in him he will probably improve no end. I remember when Lilly went off her food and she wouldn't eat anything. We had to take her back to the vets every day for a fluid injection (she was that lethargic she couldn't care less about going which was unusual).  After a few days she was so much better and objecting to being taken anywhere!

They said if she hadn't responded to the fluid injections then they would have taken her in and put her on a drip just to get her properly stabalised - it didn't mean there was necessarily anything wrong with her just that she needed more help in getting re-hydrated.

:hug:

Hope for some good news later.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »
Thanks everyone  :hug: It's the wet Royal canin sensitivity that I was given and he refused to eat. When I went to work last night he was a little bit improved and was accepting a gentle cuddle and had a nibble of chicken but when I got home this morning he hadn't eaten the fresh chicken and RC I put down for him and was the same as yesterday morning - completely un-responsive under the bed and he'd been sick on the duvet again  :tired:

Just been to the vets and they've kept him in, he's going to have IV fluids and injectable Zantac. I can ring at 16:00 to see how he is and they said I could visit after that.

She spent ages feeling his kidneys and I had a horrible sick feeling come over me, it reminded me of Andrea's Leo  :hug: After about 10 mins of squeezing/poking she said that one kidney felt slightly bigger than the other but that they quite often are and that she couldn't feel any nodules etc so wasn't concerned about the size difference.

btw - he seems quite nauseous. The vet gave him a jab last week and said there was a tablet version that isn't licensed for cats but he thought the pill was too small to cut into quarters. I really want to give it a try - It sounds like it must have been the generic version of Zantac?

PS - Just checked and Zantax is ranatidine. I have some Sainsbury's generic ones - do you know what the cat dose is? - I could try to give it to Clapton and avoid a 10-mile round trip to pick it up from the vet.

The vet said the same to me, the injectable form is licensed but the liquid/tablet form isn't. They only had 150mg tabs which are too big a dose to split. She said the dose was about 10 to 11mg so around a sixth of a Zantac 75 (Ranitidine 75) tablet but best to check with your vet as I think Riley weighs more than Clapton so prob needs a bigger dose  :hug:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#ranitidine

Famotidine 10mg (Pepcid AC) worked wonders for Tiggy so worth trying to source some of those (think someone on here gets them from a Canadian online pharmacy).

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#famotidine

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
 :hug: Hope Riley is feeling better soon.  Never had any experience of the Royal Canin food I'm afraid.  I'd always try a bit of tuna if they aren't well as I know that would tempt them.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »
Sorry Helen - just noticed this thread. I hope he is feeling better today  :hug:

Mine never used to like RC sensitivity. I know they do a few kinds - a couple of them are supposed to be given on vet advice. I tried it with Alice a couple of years ago and she wouldn't touch it. I'm not sure if they have changed the recipe, but recently I bought some SC29 sensitivity - Blue Whiting & Rice. They all seem to like it. Clapton is eating very little ATM but he was wolfing it down yesterday after turning his nose up at everything else.

btw - he seems quite nauseous. The vet gave him a jab last week and said there was a tablet version that isn't licensed for cats but he thought the pill was too small to cut into quarters. I really want to give it a try - It sounds like it must have been the generic version of Zantac?

As much as I don'r like feeding it, I know if the cats are feeling ill if they refuse to eat Whiskas dry - maybe worth buying some to try? - the problem is getting them to eat decent food once they have tasted it  :-:

PS - Just checked and Zantax is ranatidine. I have some Sainsbury's generic ones - do you know what the cat dose is? - I could try to give it to Clapton and avoid a 10-mile round trip to pick it up from the vet.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:01:31 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:05 AM »
I hope that Riley is feeling better today, it probably is the biscuits he doesn't like if he's had some dreamies.  Being apart from Lucas won't help either because he won't understand why  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »
Jim and Boy were put on R/C sensivity pouches and they wouldnt touch it, but they did like the dry though!
Helen ask your vet for some a/d , its soft and i used to put it on my finger and feed Phoebe when she was poorly :( Riley might prefer this to R/C.

Good luck at the vets. :hug:

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 23:25:39 PM »
Good luck tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat with my Delphi who has developed an upset tummy following her op to remove a cancerous lump on a mammary gland.

I tried the royal canin sensitivity with her before and I think she didn't touch it.

I might get some tomorrow and try heating it.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 23:21:08 PM »
Aaaw Helen so sorry our handsome boy is feeling under the weather and hope he bounces right back by tomorrow am  :care:

Please dispense an extra hug to Lucas as hate to think of them being apart  :hug:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 23:11:05 PM »
Hope Rileys feeling better soon  :hug: :hug: Good luck at the vets

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 22:44:38 PM »
Poor baby, give him a gentle cuddle for me  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 21:40:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, I put some more down (heated up this time) but he won't even lick it  :( He did have some dreamies though which I was, unsuccessfully, trying to hide a teeny tablet in. Not ideal for a poorly tummy I know but at least it shows he is not completely off food. The vet today said to bring him in tomorrow morning so have an appt at 09:40.

I'm sure he's missing Lucas if you have to keep them seperate!

They're definitely missing each other, it's probably not helping him feel better as they're upset about being split up but the vet said it was best to keep them apart in case whatever he has is infectious.

Cuddles dispensed  :thanks:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 21:02:28 PM »
giles wolfed it down after his op but wasnt interested in anything else.

Poor Riley, hope hes feeling better soon  :hug:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 20:44:15 PM »
I hate to say this but even Pinball loves it and he won't usually touch wet food.

Definately try heating it (I put the pouch on the radiator if the heating is on or in a cup of boiling water as I worry about hotspots with the microwave), it will make it really stinky so might encourage Riley to eat it.

Hope Riley feels better soon. All the Team are sending him get well purrs xxxx
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 20:20:31 PM »
Helen we used this with b oth Cissy and Miss gracie our 2 old feral ladies - I heated it in the microwave fro 10 seconds seemed to like it better that way - our Riley sends get well hiss's - Daddy is hoovering! :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 20:09:11 PM »
Yes I agree I've used it several times including on my old boy Sooty (RIP) who ate it all even though he was generally fussy - so I would say that it probably does indicate Riley is feeling quite poorly  :'(  I really hope the little chap perks up and starts feeling better very soon xxx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 18:51:21 PM »
Hi Helen,

We use it at the cattery for upset tummies and I haven't come across a cat who doesn't like it.
The dry is very nice too (not that I've tried it but the cats like it)

Hope Riley feels better soon xxx

Offline princessmaizie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 18:37:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about Riley, hope he picks up soon  :hug: I'm sure he's missing Lucas if you have to keep them seperate!
I have a friend whose cat is on Royal Canin and won't eat anything else so i'd assume it's ok, no personal experience though, sorry!
Please give both boys extra cuddles from me and Maizie  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 17:55:47 PM »
Thanks Janey, I went and got him some cooked chicken, he's eaten a little bit but not much. The vet said it was OK to buy the tablet verison of the meds from a human chemist (the dose they had was too big to split accurately). As luck would have it I have some in but he wouldn't eat the bit of chicken that contained it!

I have the liquid version that the vet gave me but I'm holding off on giving that to him as I know that will really stress him out/annoy him if I try to squirt it in his face! Still got to try syringing the water yet, he had subcutaneous fluid at the vets so should be OK for a little while yet.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 16:14:24 PM »
I don't know Helen because I don't think mine have ever tried that but hope that poor Riley is feeling better soon  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Is Royal Canin sensitivity palatable? (Riley poorly, not eating)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 15:48:34 PM »
Took Riley to the vets this morning, he had been sick twice and was completely miserable and non-responsive. The vet said he didn't have a temperature and couldn't feel any lumps but that he was quite dehydrated.

He had an injection of Zantac and I have a liquid form to give him later and I also have to syringe feed him water. She said that if he is still the same tomorrow he will have to be admitted to go on a drip  :(

Anyway, she said to keep him separate from Lu and gave me some Royal Canin sensitivity pouches to give him. He's not touched it and I'm wondering how palatable it is. If it's not very tasty then I'm not too worried that he's not eating it as if you feel a bit sick and are offered rubbish food it's the last thing on your mind to eat it. If it's supposed to be super tasty then that's worrying that he's not eating.

Link to CatChat