Author Topic: Clapton having his last 2 teeth out on Monday (that I didn't know he had!)  (Read 16732 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Clapton having his last 2 teeth out on Monday (that I didn't know he had!)
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2010, 22:05:46 PM »
I think him having the watered down juice from wet with the renal dry is probably better. He is also drinking water from the bowl so dehydration isn't really an issue. I have been checking the skin on his neck. The vet said we really need to get his numbers down. They really are (or were) through the roof. Eating the Happy Cat dry is his choice - he must enjoy it  :)  - He seems a lot better in himself which is the main thing  :Luv2:

It would be different if he wanted regular wet food but he is choosing to eat the renal dry. The odd thing is, he has stopped eating all the things he loved before his mouth was done - he won't even eat chicken now and it was always his favourite. He is having a little bit of Tesco finest roast beef every day. It is quite rare and very tender. It is the only thing he will take his pill with. Also I think the fact that it is high quality protein makes it better than a lot of other things he could eat.

I will did out the SEB but I think he is OK at the moment now he is eating again.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 00:50:52 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2010, 16:56:03 PM »
Hope he is doing better today Mark, and I really would let him eat what he wants to eat wet food wise,
regardless of the phosphorus levels - quality has to be more important than quantity, and the wet food will be better for his kidneys because of the moisture levels. SEB can also be used to help stomach acid in CRF cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2010, 18:56:52 PM »
Thanks Gillian - I will check it out, although he is producing sold poos now, although no always in the tray - the bathroom seems to be a favourite spot. He has some probiotics arriving in the next few days hopefully (azodyl) so I will check if the strains are the same. One of the reasons I haven't posted is because his appetite comes & goes. I'm not sure that he has eaten at all today. He finally started taking his meds yesterday as I found something he goes mad for - Tesco Finest roast beef slices. I know they are not the best thing but I have to let him have something. OH is on leave this week and is up in the bedroom with him. I mentioned how light Clapton is and OH misted over. One thing that I am so glad I got is the German brand of renal food - 'Happy Cat', because if anything, he eats that - Alice also likes the senior version of it. He sicked up some foamy stuff this morning. Not sure if it is furrball or stomach acid. I think I will look into getting some Pepcid AC just in case. He seemed a lot better after he was sick and was really purry.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2010, 16:06:05 PM »
Glad he's eating better  :hug: are his poos still runny? ask your vet for Fortiflora probiotic, its worked brilliantly for the foster kittens - its a powder just sprinkled over food - smells like marmite to me  ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2010, 16:38:17 PM »
 ;D so pleased!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2010, 13:16:41 PM »
Brilliant  ;D , hope he continues to pick up  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2010, 18:52:26 PM »
Excellent  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2010, 18:51:15 PM »
He just came down for food. As he has been a good boy eating renal dry, I allowed him 3/4 of a little gourmet gold tin and was wolfing if when I left him to it.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2010, 18:46:33 PM »
He's such a handsome boy, its hard when we see them getting older  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2010, 13:52:11 PM »
 :Luv: Lovely photos and wise vet words, I think.  In my experience with oldies the happiest live the longest they've something to keep going for.  I used to be fussier but over the years have got less and less and now let mine have what they want and if you could see Byron she's so old and bedraggled now but she's, spoilt, happy and keeps going.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 13:53:10 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
Love the gummy smile - such a handsome boy! :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2010, 21:07:18 PM »
His appetite has picked up but it is far from normal. Also, he is really only interested in high phosphorus rubbish mainly. As the vet said, eating the wrong food is much better than eating nothing, so we are working on that. He loves the 'Happy Cat' renal dry and the 'integra protect' renal dry so as long as he is eating that with a small amount of treat food and plenty of water, we are more than happy for the time being  :Luv2:

I also have another renal food in the wings but only looked at the pack today and it is 0.6% Phosphorus - most renal dry is between 0.3 & 0.4% so I will hold off on this one for now.

He snuggled up with me for a nap this afternoon and is gradually beginning to give me washes  :evillaugh:

He was named after where the rescue (SNIP) found him - Lower Clapton Road in Hackney AKA as murder mile  :scared:

This is him in his younger days (6/7 years ago) I would give anything to see him like this again

Our favourite Clapton photo  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 00:48:02 AM by Mark »

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2010, 20:54:35 PM »
P.s. I was actually online on the laptop the other day and say a pic of Clapton *luv*

Did you name him after Eric Clapton or am I wayyyyyy off point lol?
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2010, 20:51:39 PM »
What a nice lady :) I hope it helps Clapton.

Has his appetite improved slightly at all? Do you think he could be picking up on you worrying about him eating and that's making him feel pressured? I know animals can be sensitive to how we are...
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2010, 20:39:44 PM »
This is incredible. Along with the 1/2 dozen Metacam warning emails, I also received one from a lady in Florida who has offered to send me 6 bottles of Azodyl  ;D - She usually sends them to a friend in Romania who has asked her to hold-fire during the warm weather. I have offered to pay but she has refused. She said she is retired and uses her spare money to give to animal charities. She said as long as her money is helping an animal in some way, it is all the same to her  :) - naturally we are going to ask her what her favourite animal charity is and want to make a donation in her name. I really can't believe the kindness of some people - all we seem to hear is horror stories so it really was a surprise. She has lost 2 strays she took in to CRF in the last year  :(

She is going to pack them in the ice packs they arrived in and send them priority mail so we can get Clapton on it straight away. She said her friend in Romania has reported good results with it  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2010, 18:20:34 PM »
Thanks  :)

He has just been down for a little nibble of Hill's k/d and at last some water from his old dish and there was no wincing!

Had a long chat with the vet. He thinks I should just keep an eye atm and if he isn't going solid poos after the weekend to look at him - He said it is purely a guess but it could be down to change of diet + the stress. He also thinks slow recovery is only to be expected with the soft-tissue surgery he had.

I have had 4 replies from my post on the CRF forum. 3 of them were telling me not to allow my vet to give Metacam with links to the Metacamkills website, but one was from a very nice lady in Florida offering to send me 6 bottles of Azodyl packed in ice. She said she knows how it feels to try anything. She rescues strays and has lost 2 of them to CRF.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2010, 18:11:19 PM »
Sending loads of healing viibes for Clapton. :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
He's about 11 CC - We don't know exactly as he was a stray.

I'm in 2 minds about the vet visit now. He came down and had a pouch of Hill's k/d (well all the gravy and  about 1/4 of the chunks) then had a little lie down in the shaft of sunlight in the hall. He is now back upstairs on the bed. If the vet comes, it will be 2 steps back as he will go back under the bed for a couple of days and it could set back his recovery. I think I will phone them again and ask for some phone advice based on me running him over there if need be. Cost doesn't come into it - we just want what is best for him  :Luv2:

I'm a bit concerned about the runny poos still, but there is no way I could medicate him.

Edit - I found a tub of Nutrifyba in the cupboard but it is out of date  :tired: - also it is discontinued. I wonder if it would be ok to sprinkle a tiny amount of psyllium husk on his food? - I will ask the vet. I have some regular and some ground. The health shop down the road also sells some with probiotics added - maybe that would be better?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:24:27 AM by Mark »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »
I have everything crossed for Clapton's vet visit this afternoon (including him actually getting it  :-: )

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
Thats is, the vets I use are 10miles away but they are good vets, thats why I keep going there. There are closer vets in the area but I dont think they would understand Ollie's condition, my vet has been seeing him for years and he still cant work him out  :shy:

You need to do whats best for Clapton and if that means getting him to a closer vets to reduce his stress then I think that would be the way to go  :hug:

How old is he now Mark?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »
Hopefully Clapton is getting a home visit later. I think my vets is permanently overstretched. I explained that due to his condition atm, doing a 10-mile round trip won't do him any good. She said if he is that bad, then maybe he needs to go back on a drip. I said I didn't think that was the answer. It would stress him out so much. So he is provisionally booked for a 2pm visit. She said that if I haven't heard by 3pm to call in case they are really busy. I think I need to rethink the vet situation long term. They are great vets but...

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
aww  :(

I hope he manages to pick up, Ollie was a bit strange after his dental but started to eat his normal foods again, I hope Clapton can too very soon  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
 :( Oh dear glad he enjoyed his sausage though it's something.  Mine would never eat any renal so I've not bothered the vet said eating well is much more important than not eating or eating just a bit of renal plus if they are miserable that's not good.

I hope you can get him to eat something he likes  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Sorry Jane, I forgot to reply  :-[

I will give it a try. I was going to work out the dry-matter number which I think must be around 1%

Anyway, he isn't doing so good  :(

His appetite is still very poor. He also doesn't seem to be drinking enough, even though I am leaving out fish water etc. He hasn't had meds for 3 days as he refuses to touch chicken or turkey & that is the only way. OH agrees that trying to pill him will stress him too much. I am trying to arrange another home visit today.

I am getting quite concerned about him. We can't have him permanently poorly. He is looking quite frail  :(

I have at least 50 food choices, including around 10 renal. He decided to eat a bit of Hill's renal pouch yesterday after refusing all regular food. Also, I know it isn't ideal, but I gave him a sausage yesterday and he ate it (over a few hours)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:41:21 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
How's Clapton doing Mark?

Did you get my pm? don't know if you saw but this was posted on the Renal food thread on CC, Desley asked me to let you know:

'I've just found a senior wet food that my CRF cat loves. Its Pets at Home supermeat pate and its 9.5% protein, 0.25% calcium and 0.2% phosphorous which is the lowest phosphorous I've found'

Actually Byron and Pep eat this and love it, I've never noticed the values but it's probably doing them some good.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2010, 15:42:27 PM »
my cats like to eat grass offered as a long strand, held above their mouths
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »
While extra drinking isn't that good with kidneys, at least it is helping them flush out - the vet thought drinking was part of the reason Zi's kidney values came down so much despite being on Metacam, as she only has renal dry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
He ate some more Hill's k/d this morning but we are worried as he is hanging around water bowls and even Kylie's fountain which he never uses. I am keeping a close eye on him.

It's really odd that he has been out in the garden several times since yesterday. I think he may have a furball but he won't take any paste. I even chopped grass up for him but he won't eat it. He has tried (without any luck) to eat some himself in the garden.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:08:10 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »
Hope he is still eating more Mark
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Well done gorgeous man. :) :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Great news!  ;D

(My OH just came home from the vets with Olive & jasmine - booster time, and was advised Olive needs a dental.
I'm beginning to get anxious and panic already.)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Yay , well done Clapton! ;D

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Well done Clapton!  :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 :wow: yup great news!

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
 :) woderful news! im soooooooooo pleased! gentle hugs to our boy! :hug: now RELAX mark!!! :hug:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
 :)

I just went up to the ground floor and he had been down for another go at the Whiskas senior in gravy - plenty on the floor but looks as if he managed to get some more down him  :)

I'm sure he has been sorted this time. I forgot to say, Craig took a couple of photos of Clapton's mouth on his phone before he operated - that speaks volumes to me.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:50:55 AM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
So glad he's eating Mark, it may not be as much as he should be right now, but its definitely a step in the right direction, as Desley already said.

So pleased he's a bit perkier all round today as well, he must be feeling a bit better which is excellent  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
That is what I think about biscuits. They swallow them whole so they are probably easier to eat than chunks of wet food.

I have bought AGAIL, Oh So  and marinades a few times but it never gets eaten. I will see if I can get a few single pouches. I know sainsbury's sell 400g cans of Oh so in singles - I haven't seen them anywhere else. They also sell 400g cans of felix senior in 6 packs - again the only supermarket I have seen it in.

Just reminded me - in the past he has liked Sainsbury's own premium food - single pouches are 24% chicken (or is it 14%) - anyway, I will get some.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:45:42 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Maybe not, but he's going in the right direction, and that is the most important thing. I would get a pouch of AGAIL, if he likes it, as that is similar texture to Gourmet Perle, but a tad harder cos it is in jelly rather than gravy. Whiskas Oh So chicken has been a saviour for more than one of my cats with poorly mouths. I have had cats that favour biscuits over wet after a dental, Rolo even managed dental biscuits the same week as having 11 teeth out!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Glad he is improving and eating more.

Thanks - he still isn't eating enough. I think it needs to be something he loves to make him fight through the pain to eat. I will buy lots of Sheba pate trays today as he seems to make an effort to eat them. Warmed slightly, they go sloppier as well. It is a shame he won't eat Gourmet Perle as the texture is probably right for him. Although the vet said not to give him biscuits, I have left out some purina renal biscuits as he can just hoover them up. After previous dentals, he went for biscuits before wet.

Really annoying. I just checked Mysupermarket to see where Whiskas senior is on offer. It looks as if Asda is the only place. I was only there yesterday to get his turkey and didn't notice. It is a 14 mile round trip + one of the main roads is closed for repair so it was a mare getting there. I will just have to pay full price in Sainsbury's  :tired:

(I just did a search - 'Whiskas senior gravy mysupermarket' )

SOMETHING TO REMEMBER THOUGH - WHISKAS IS ON LONG TERM OFFER IN ASDA - UNTIL 28/12  ;D

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Cat_Food/Whiskas_Pouch_Senior_in_Gravy_12x100g.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:30:14 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat