Author Topic: Fingers crossed for Jeannies bloods  (Read 18488 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Fingers crossed for Jeannies bloods
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2009, 17:36:18 PM »
I'm sorry Desley, but eating is still a good sign I reckon as well. As for Mr 6 pouches a day (!) have you tried giving lactulose in a syringe? My vet says it's good for elimination of a few urea toxins as well, so in theory could help his kidneys.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 17:19:14 PM »
Thanks guys, its times like this where I wished there was someone else who could just come and make the decision for me. I just dont know how much more time to give them.

It's so difficult but a think in most cases the appetite can be a good marker Desley, I always think like with us if we're really poorly and in pain we wouldn't want to eat and that for me is often the main sign.  I am sure you'll sense when the time is right but I do know how difficult it is  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 15:45:31 PM »
It must be so hard for you :( but im sure you will know when the time is here and make the right decision,sending  hugs for you and vibes for Jeannie and Norman   :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »
Thanks guys, its times like this where I wished there was someone else who could just come and make the decision for me. I just dont know how much more time to give them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 13:07:19 PM »
I was only thinking of these two yesterday Desley, from what you say they do sound ok for now there is only so much you can do when like they are and you are doing your best for them xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:28 AM »
Hope they continue to have more good days and that you don't have to make any decisions yet  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Oh dear Des hope they both perk up a bit - could you try the once every few days?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 22:09:53 PM »
Another bad few days with JEannie, I Really do think I am going to have to make the decision soon, but she is still eating well and pottering about, which makes me reluctant - she isnt on MEtacam at the moment though, as she started to drink a lot more a few days after being on it, so I panicked - there wasn't much improvement though. Her legs really aren't great.
Norman is just demaning more and more food, which ordinarily would be a good thing, but he isn't pooing that much, I am lucky to get one poo a day, and he can eat 6 pouches a day. He is also showing signs of constipation (and wont always eat food with lactulose in it!!), which to say he only eats wet food and drinks a lot of water shouldnt happen, so I suspect his kidneys are getting worse. He has been here 2 months though, and the vet didnt' think he would be here for 3 months to have his bloods redone. Again, he is eating well, and can still get up and down the stairs when he wants, and tries to sit on the sofa with me most days, so I am reluctant to do it just yet, but not sure how much longer.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:21 AM »
Thanks everyone. I know it is only a matter of time with both of these, but still want to give them as long as possible.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 20:26:45 PM »
Lots of vibes being sent your way  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 20:18:10 PM »
 :hug: all round

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 20:16:32 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for Jeannie and Norman and hugs for you  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 20:06:00 PM »
Best wishes for Jeannie  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 19:33:47 PM »
Sending loads of positive vibes Des.  Hope everything will be ok  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 19:16:49 PM »
Vibes needed again please - we had a bad weekend with Jeannie yowling for no reason, one of them was sick while I was at work today (and Norman was sick on Sat), and Jeannie has been at the water bowl a lot, which is concerning - she did only have a couple of days of Metacam, so have stopped that, but her back legs are very weak, so she isn't walking great, although fortunately enough to get to the tray.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008, 20:35:37 PM »
Thanks C - I have got her eating it in some HiLife senior - the only problem is I am nearly out of it, and it was a special offer I got when I got Mabel, back in July!! I can't believe how much more they need in the cat version, and it is a lot more expensive, I half wish it hadn't been licenced, 2 drops was a lot easier to hide!! Vet was amazed that she wouldnt eat it in food though.

MM - one of the neighbours knows the reason why, not sure about the other, but as they play loud music at odd hours and wake me up, that is my little bit of revenge!!

Jane - there is no way I would agree to a steroid jab with Norman, he can manage 6 pouches a day already, he just seems to be having issues with chunks this weekend (I checked his chart, he only has about 5 teeth left, bless him). Since I remembered the last box of HiLife senior this morning, he has probably had 4 pouches (although they are only the 85g pouches). I dont like him eating too much senior food though, as although it is good on his liver (and the possible kidney issues), he needs the calories in adult food as he is still like a walking skeleton, 6 weeks on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008, 19:34:05 PM »
oh I'm so sorry Desley about these 2, I really wish they would be a little better - has the vet not suggested a steroid injection to try and boost them a little? we thought the worst for Schui late summer but the injection has boosted his health and appetite no end.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 19:04:45 PM »
The neighbours must wonder whats going on in your house  :evillaugh:

I'm sorry to hear they're not having such a good day today.

Also, I find the cat Metacam is such a bigger dose, the dog one was much easier to get into them. 

We're using the palatable liquid - the dose is small and Blip happily eats it in her food.  Are you not using that one?

Compared to the dog one (which was all that was available until recently) the newly licensed cat version is a much bigger volume as its a third of the strength, the dog one was literally a couple of drops! Saying that its not too hard to shoot a 3-4kg dose in without it comming back out.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 15:32:07 PM »
Oh dear I am sorry to hear they are both not so good.  Hope they pick up soon

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 15:10:22 PM »
i to have missed this thread for some reason, i feel for you  :hug: it must be so distressing for you and jeannie         

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 14:55:31 PM »
I'm sorry to hear they're not having such a good day today.

Also, I find the cat Metacam is such a bigger dose, the dog one was much easier to get into them. 

We're using the palatable liquid - the dose is small and Blip happily eats it in her food.  Are you not using that one?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
She got herself stuck in the front room this morning, I popped her in the kitchen then had 5 mins of both her and Norman yowling in tandem at me - hope the neighbours weren't too bothered. She has been sick again, but it looks like it is the Whiskas she is bringing up, so I gave her some rabbit supermeat and she wont eat it - mind you, neither will Norman!! My sis met her yesterday and was upset - she can be sleeping and looking really peaceful, but as soon as you try and stroke her and wake her up, she gets so disorientated and it takes her ages to stop circling round. She didn't have any Metacam yesterday, as her legs looked a tad worse after two doses of it. Also, I find the cat Metacam is such a bigger dose, the dog one was much easier to get into them.

Had a bad day with Norman yesterday too, seems what little teeth he has left are bothering him, he was drooling a lot and unable to eat his normal food.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:38:45 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2008, 18:09:50 PM »
Desley i do hope she picksup again

Its so hard to know whats best to do, i feel for you. :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 16:01:45 PM »
I have somehow managed to miss this thread before - no idea how.

Just to offer support.  Our head vet is of the school that low doses of Metacam can be used for arthritis, provided the cat concerned is carefully monitored.  We've got Blip back on it following good blood test results after her first long course July - November.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
Poor old girl, I hope she picks up -  it is sad when they aren't too well and have dementia too. We think Schui has some dementia some days he uses the tray other days like this morning we were sat having breakfast and he stood in front of us, infront of the TV crouching to poo.  He also pees on any papers on the floor, I had to send for new study book because he peed on that and sometimes on Byron's duvet infront of the radiator.  He seems, thankfully quite well at the minute on himself and hasn't been snotty for a week which is a miracle. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:40:56 AM by janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Well, the vet was very happy with her on Tues, but she has had a bad couple of days - I couldnt get all the cat bedding in the washer on Christmas Eve, so I left some of it in front of the washer, that has been weed on at least 2 times since then, and I was just doing the trays and she ignored hers, and weed on that pile yet again, so I think the vet is right about dementia, she thinks the blanket is a litter tray unfortunately. She has also been sick the past 2 days, and was sick on Mon, so not sure what to do with her now really. Her legs seem to be worse after two lots of Metacam as well. Vet said she might have months, but it really all depended on me being able to deal with her, the decision has to be about what is best for her though, not for me, but I have been watching my Nan go downhill with Alzheimers for nearly 2 years and I can't watch a cat do the same.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:31:00 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 15:50:54 PM »
Thanks - she isn't having that good a day today, so not sure what tonight will hold.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 14:14:28 PM »
all the best with Jeannie and the urine sample too.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 13:29:00 PM »
Best of luck this afternoon

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
Sadly Jeannie didn't go to the vets on Sat, I should have known booking one so soon after my X Mas do wasn't a good idea!!

She is going this afternoon though, not sure how it is going to go, she was sick yesterday and Sat (well, I am fairly certain it was her and not Normy), although part of yesterdays could have been a fur ball. she also still has weak back legs, and wont take any of the three things I have in the house for arthritis. I am going to try and get a urine sample out of her, to see if there is any reason for her excessive weeing, but that depends how tolerant she is this afternoon!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:45 AM »
Hope she continues to do well  :)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 00:29:54 AM »
Aww that is great , hope she goes on doing well. Bless her :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 21:38:46 PM »
Glad to hear she has been doing better

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 21:30:15 PM »
She had such a good day on Sun that I decided she has more life left in her. She has pottered a lot today, although got herself confused twice, so circling and yowling, bless her. She is going to the vet on Sat for her ears though
Normy has been pottering more today, much to Kizzy's annoyance. Wonder if there is something in the air??
Sam has been really sweet tonight, he is going to the vets on Mon to be scanned, as Rach forgot and for bloods, we shall see if he does have a thyroid prob, and if so whether it can be operated on or not.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 14:18:32 PM »
Hi Desley, how is Jeannie, and if she is going to vets today? :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »
i do - my main concerns are her wetting the bed 3 times in a week, as she either goes and sleeps on the floor which makes her arthritis worse, or she continues to sleep on it (there are 3 beds for the 2 of them, but she sometimes ignores the third - mind you, Norman can't distinguish between her and the bed if she sleeps there, so she does get stood on a bit) - she does use the tray a lot though, so not because she cant get to it. She does wee a lot, despite bloods showing her Urea and Glucose to be fine, so unless they were wrong when done, she doesnt have CRF or diabetes, and I can't think of anything else that can cause increased urination - well, Normy's is liver related, but her liver was fine too. Me and the vet were convinced there was something not right with this cat a month ago, bloods showed nothing, but there is still soemthing not right. I'm not convinced we have got her ears right either, despite antibiotics and drops, so it could just be that, in which case the vet can sort it - very hard to tell with a black cat if they still have gunk in their ears, especially when they hate their ears being touched.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
I think seeing the vet if you are doubting their quality of life is the way to go and what we would do if they seemed in discomfort (there must be reasons you feel this way)  it is obviously a two-way thing though as you are with them more. I do hope though that news will be good, best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:46:02 AM by janeyk »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
Poor things.  I hope the vet visit goes well and little Jeannie can at least enjoy a good Xmas

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 23:36:35 PM »
Have spoken to the rescue and they agree that it is quality not quantity with her, and I just can't work out if she has a good quality of life, or if I am just expecting too much. Just had a friend on the phone who has convinced me that my idea of taking her to get the vets decision on how she is is the way to go, and has kindly offered to come with me and pay. So i will be booking her in for either Mon or Tues and it is up to the vet, I will go along with her decision (although I suspect I know what it will be). The important thing, whether the decision is made this week or not, is that she has spent her last few weeks in a home environment, although I would naturally like it to be longer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 17:38:09 PM »
It's very difficult sometimes to guess an age when we adopted Schui who had been straying (he had a collar mark) they told us 12+ another vet said 15+ that was three and half years ago, we just don't know.  Byron keeps very healthy for her age she's 24 now in some ways she looks kitten like as her tummy fur is very white and fluffy but she looks very old in other ways, her feet are quite bald and she squints all the time.  Both sleep most of the time but Byron will have a little play every now and then. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 17:40:48 PM by janeyk »

Link to CatChat