Author Topic: Fingers crossed for Jeannies bloods  (Read 18474 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Fingers crossed for Jeannies bloods
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2009, 22:27:50 PM »
RIP Norman, sounds like you did the right thing for him Desley  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2009, 22:10:13 PM »
Thanks guys - there are more comments on his Bridge thread.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2009, 22:05:28 PM »
RIP sweet Norman. :( :'(

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2009, 22:04:30 PM »
Glad that Norman went peacefully, RIP.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2009, 21:59:20 PM »
Im so sorry to hear about Norman   :( but you made the right decision, sending you lots of hugs :hug: :hug:                                                 r.i.p. little one, safe at the bridge :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2009, 20:56:30 PM »
Well, Norman went very peacefully, and before the injection had even finished. My vet would put him anywhere up to 20 looking at his face, and his mouth was very red, which could explain why he had started leaving some food, so I do think i made the decision at the right time for him, as we couldnt have given him a dental, and Antirobe could have made his liver worse. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2009, 13:40:54 PM »
Thinking of you and Norman today, i know your a believer of quality over quantity and wont let him suffer 'just incase'   :hug: :hug:

Couldn't have put it better myself  :shy:

Thinking of you  Desley  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »
Thinking of you and Norman today, i know your a believer of quality over quantity and wont let him suffer 'just incase'   :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »
 :hug: :hug: Delsey, hoping you're OK today.

Sending best wishes to Normmie and all the others.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
Thinking of you all today, Desley  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »
It could be pancreatitis, Dragan was like that before he was diagnosed and his poos were big and very beige in colour.  Hope you can get to the bottom of it Des  :hug:

There is nothing to get to the bottom of, his poos aren't pale, but he is terminally ill, and I knew that he only had months to live, and he has been here since the middle of November. He had plenty of cuddles last night, and i have just given him 3 lots of wet food - Jeannie is only picking at her food again today, so I suspect he will eat the majority of it. I hope I can get her to start eating again, and that it isn't because she is fed up with life. Might try some more MEtacam tonight, but she screams when you syringe it into her, and she isn't eating enough to get it into her through food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 22:51:26 PM »
Thinking of you Des  :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 22:33:39 PM »
:hug: Sorry to hear you've had to make such a difficult decision.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 17:46:09 PM »
It could be pancreatitis, Dragan was like that before he was diagnosed and his poos were big and very beige in colour.  Hope you can get to the bottom of it Des  :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 16:16:15 PM »
(((((((((((Desley)))))))) and ((((((((Norman))))))
I know you were dreading making the decision
love
Tab

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 13:29:33 PM »
Thanks for posting JS  :'(

Thinking of you Desley hun, I know you don't take this decision lightly for any of the animals in your care  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 13:09:48 PM »
 :'( Thanks for posting that JS  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
Desley just emailed me asking me to post this as she won't have chance to get on the site until later:

"I have always said that as soon as Norman starts losing weight despite eating well, that it would be his time, and his weigh in last week showed a loss of 200g for the month, which takes him pretty much back to what he was when he came (he is so severely underweight so can’t afford to lose weight), despite the fact that he is demanding more food than ever before – his food demanding in recent weeks had been worrying me, as he will spit his food out to yowl for more even if you do something simple like get the milk out of the fridge for a brew, and last night yowled at me after I picked up his poo thinking that what I had might be food – it is like he is constantly hungry, and doesn’t’ matter if there is food down that he is happy to eat - there is generally 3 different lots between the two of them, plus dry for Jeannie. Bloods done in November show that his thyroid is at the very low end of the scale, so I know it isn’t a thyroid problem causing it, and I have never come across a cat with liver issues that has been that hungry, so I do suspect something else is going on. The toileting round the house to me is just another indication that he isn’t feeling great, I am surprised he has managed 2 months with how bad his blood tests were. This has been a very hard decision, but I hope that I have timed it right so he is going to go while he still has some dignity left and if I left him a month to see if it was a one off and he continued to lose weight, I would feel awful as I may have made him suffer."

Desley is an extremely competent fosterer, and would never let an animal go if she felt the cat in question had a decent quality of life. I have been getting regular updates via email about all of her fosterers and know how much time and how much she's struggled to make this decision.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:42:21 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »
You beat me to it, i was also wondering what was meant by that as well                                                           "his last night here"

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »
Schui pees all over and it is getting worse, it used to be just poo.  He peed in Byron's bed the other day so I washed the bedding then he left poo in it, I cannot leave my study books around or he pees on them (no smell either oddly) I have had to order new and the last lot he just caught the very bottom thankfully.  I have had this happen with other older cats (never young ones) so I presume it is down to that.  I bought some Feliway at the weekend do you think this may help?

Desley what do you mean by his last night ?  :scared::(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:31:09 AM by janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »
Norman walked upstairs to poo on the bathroom carpet last night - no idea why, as all 3 of the downstairs litter trays were clean (although I dont think he knows about the one in the front room) - and then when I picked it up, he proceeded to yowl at me thinking I had something he could have in my hand, so i showed him what it was!! I can't believe how quickly this week is going, it is going to be his last night here tonight.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
I have no idea why he has weed upstairs twice - the last time last night was in teh front room - and he did wee in his litter tray after that. he doesn't wee on the carpet intentionally though, yesterday was my nightie and a carrier bag (which inevitably meant it went on the carpet), and I think there was a foodbox at the side of the wet spot on Thurs, that I had put there to take downstairs - it puzzled me, as there was no colour or smell on Thurs, I couldnt work out what had happened. I dont think he knows there is a litter tray in teh front room, although Jeannie has found it, and she is fully blind, Norman is only partially blind!! I am going to give him some supervised access outside this afternoon as long as it stays dry, he has shown more interest in hte outdoors this past week. Norman seems to prefer to poo in Jeannie's tray than his own - might be worth putting a tray in the bathroom for Dinah
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2009, 11:05:39 AM »
If he wasn't making the effort to go upstairs you'd think maybe he was just getting caught short.  Who knows why these things suddenly happen.

Dinah's favourite poo place is the bathroom floor now, even though she has two trays with nice soft litter (which she wees in). All I can think is that she associates the tray with painful poos from when the colitis was bad.

He sounds like a great cat though.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I hope so too. I dont think it is a UTI with Norman, his urine is practically water, which with his constipation, makes me think his kidneys are going - we already know he has severe liver issues, and 2 months is impressive with how bad his blood results were in November - my vet was surprised he was still alive back then. He also acts starving constantly and will stop eating his breakfast to see what Jeannie has, regardless of whether they are on the same food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Hope they enjoyed their fish and manage to settle down a little

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »
Hopefully they will both enjoy their fish.
Is it possible that Norman has a urinary infection?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »
It certainly is - the only thing I can do is give Norman a good time for his last few days, and see how Jeannie gets on, and hope that I Can find something she will eat, or I will have another decision to make.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »
Sounds like a very stressful time, Desley.  One runs out of ideas, I should think...  :hug:  I do hope they'll eat their fish this evening.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
Norman has weed in places round the house yesterday - in really odd rooms, and I did find a wet patch i couldnt work out on Thurs night, but that was obviously him too - no idea why he is walking upstairs and weeing on the floor when there are two litter trays in the kitchen, both of which I see him use, but I did have to encourage him to come down twice yesterday, he sat halfway down staring at me, but like he couldnt work out how to carry on walking down the stairs.

Jeannie's yowling is definitely getting worse, and she is getting worse at taking MEtacam, so who knows how long she is going to have.

They are both being really picky with their food today, there is 3 different lots of wet food down, and I had to put some dry down for Jeannie as she had barely eaten anything, and she didn't like her tea last night either. Even Norman hasn't scoffed it all down, and yowled at me last time I walked in the kitchen, even though there is all that choice there!! They are going to have fish for their tea.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 19:29:40 PM »
Norman had his monthly weigh in today, but he has lost the 200g that he put on last month, so he is booked in to see the vet next week, but i do think it will be his final visit, I have always said that when he starts losing weight, that will be it. He has had 2 months here, and the vet didn't think he had 3 months left, so i knew we were coming close. IT is a shame though, as he is so perky, he keeps trying to get out of the front door, and happily sits with you, but his eating has been worrying me, and he missed the tray earlier, and when I cleaned it up, it didn't even look like wee, there is practically no colour to it at all. I do think his kidneys are getting a bit worse, as if i dont give him some food in gravy every day, he has constipation, which with the amount of wet food he eats and the fact he drinks a lot of water, shouldn't happen.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2009, 21:33:54 PM »
Another bad day for yowling, and her legs were quite bad, so I syringed some MEtacam into her, as I picked up some new food from the rescue on Sat and she can't decide if she likes it or not, so can't put it in her food - she went mad at me syringing her though, there is no way I could put her through that every day, so it is looking like limited time, as I dont want to end up with her suffering or come home/wake up to find her unable to walk. She is allowing me to pick her up and put her on my knee though, and didn't even complain at Norman joining in, so she can have some enjoyment.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »
She is completely blind and completely deaf, hence me constantly wondering about her quality of life. She was yowling a lot again yesterday, but then did allow me to pick her up and sit on my knee (she normally hates being picked up and wont settle on my knee) - until she nearly fell off, bless her. I had her on my knee and Norman at the side of me, so wasn't quite quick enough to stop stroking him to grab her bum!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »
I forget now - is she deaf? deaf cats can be noisy, the cat I talk of was deaf as is Schui who isn't vocal unless he's out to scare the ferals off but then he makeis a really loud, weird yowling noise he just can't hear himself I suppose.  Maybe she slept outside her bed because she was warm, it seemed very mild here last night

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
I got up this morning to find her sleeping at the side of her bed, bless her!! She hadn't wet it though, so no idea why she had slept on the floor at the side. She isn't keen on her new food, so I can't get Metacam into her that way. She is quiet at night, it is just during the day, so she mustn't wake up as much at night. She is purring a lot louder this morning, I get paranoid about little things like that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 07:06:42 AM »
We had a very old deaf and partially blind cat for a short while who was just the same in the middle of the night, we guessed it was either he was a bit disorientated and wary when he woke up with our other cat/would possibly feel safer in our room with us or a bit of senility.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2009, 20:05:22 PM »
i think it is disorientation, as Sam rarely goes into the room with her. This is definitely her worst day for yowling.

I might try a hot water bottle, but dont think i have one in the house. She does sleep in front of the radiator though.
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2009, 13:41:58 PM »
As you cant use the heated bed could you perhaps use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for her,,i know the heat has worked for Eddie (my oldie ) and altho hes not brilliant it has eased him tremendously

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2009, 13:27:59 PM »
Could Jeannie feel frightened (of Sam maybe) or a bit disorientated when she wakes up?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
She has been very yowly this weekend, about 5 times yesterday, and 3 times already today. Luckily it doesn't last for long and she does quieten down after a few minutes, so I have stopped racing downstairs to comfort her now, as more often than not she is quiet when I get there, although if I am downstairs of course I comfort her. Her legs weren't great last night, but i gave her some new food this morning, so didnt' want to risk Metacam in it - and good job, as her and Norman swapped bowls half way through, his liver values are bad enough without giving him Metacam. I can't use a heated bed on her because of her bed wetting issues. Might try crushing Seraquin into her food later, it shouldnt matter then if he finishes it off.

Norman had a really good day yesterday, I let Sam out for the first time, so the front door was slightly open, and he was determined he was going to check it out!! Despite him medically being the poorlier of the two, you wouldnt tell to look at them, he really does have such a zest for life. He might actually be here long enough to contemplate re-doing his bloods, although I dont fancy starving him for them!!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »
I hope that eating well is a good sign too, but I dont know what enjoyment JEannie gets other than eating, if I stroke her while she is sleeping, it disorientates her for a good 15 mins, and I then feel awful cos she circles and yowls. If I sit next to her and she wakes up, there is a similar reaction, and me at the side of her makes her confused, she has been known to walk the whole length of the kitchen cos I was between her and the tray. She doesn't respond to catnip or valerian, so can't even stimulate her that way.

I wouldnt even contemplate syringing Lactulose into Normy, he hates his mouth being touched. I will make more of an effort to put it in his food though, although there has been more poos in the tray the past couple of days since I gave him at least one lot of food in gravy a day. It is all in her tray though, but maybe they have been confusing me, and he just poos in her tray, so what i have thought was not a lot of poo is.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat