Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 366887 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #3013 on: November 06, 2009, 17:54:08 PM »
I don't oftern comment on here but I have followed it all the way though - I think you are amazing Kate , you have given Swampy so much in the last year and a bit , no cat could have been more loved. :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3012 on: November 06, 2009, 17:25:56 PM »
Swampy's feeling better today and has been sitting on my lap purring and slept in my arms last night again with lots of purrs. He's tired after all his walking on wednesday night though.
That's good to hear Swampmaxmum and I hope that you are taking more care of yourself and eating better and getting some rest.  ;)  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3011 on: November 06, 2009, 16:09:52 PM »
His bloods are worse again. I am very upset with the vet. He told me I was chasing red herrings when I mentioned the calcium was a bit high last time. Last time Swampy's phosphorus was normal and I was told not to bother with binders. This time (the a/d food) it isn't so it and the calcium both above normal together is not good. So Swampy has either to be on a drip or at home on increased sub cuts. I am going to give him 100mls for the next 3 days, then take him in on monday. His assist food has now to be purina NF as unlike k/d it can be syringed and according to purina it is high in calories.   Any non assist food will have renalzin.
No meds with renalzin as I phoned Bayer who said not to as the renalzin could stop them working (vet didn't seem to realise that either). The locum is quite right in that it seems too many UK vets have no experience of palliative care of old animals.

Swampy's feeling better today and has been sitting on my lap purring and slept in my arms last night again with lots of purrs. He's tired after all his walking on wednesday night though.

thanks so much for the kind words. big hug to you all  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #3010 on: November 05, 2009, 21:07:37 PM »
Kate I read your post with tears in my eyes today  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and swampy

This also brought me to tears Kate :( no-one could do so much for a cat as you have done for Swampy and n-one can imagine what you have gone through all this time, caring and loving not only Swampy but also Max and to cope with your illness on top of all this to my mind makes  you  :one very SPECIAL lady  :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3009 on: November 05, 2009, 16:24:30 PM »
Keep on truckin girl! :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3008 on: November 05, 2009, 15:38:21 PM »
Kate I read your post with tears in my eyes today  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and swampy

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3007 on: November 05, 2009, 14:28:38 PM »
thanks again  :hug:  He's calmer now as they do wear off in about 24-36 hours. The halogen heater is a godsend as no way could he make a radiator bed any more and he loves to be warm. The thing is, we'd had 2 really good days until I decided that I should regive the steroids yesterday. He was ok after that until night time when the steroids peaked. I hope he will sleep well tonight, as he'd done up until last night for quite a while now. As I was up all night, I posted on here at 6am in a bit of a frazzled state.

yes I know I should take better care of myself but I've had M.E/fibro for 20-odd years and insomnia so in a way I can cope as am used to feeling fairly ordinary every day and of course, it is Swampy I am caring for in his last days, so it is payback time for all the love and care he's given me all his life - it's a very isolating illness as I have been unemployed in various countries and he and Max have been there for me throughout.  No I don't eat well (does dark kitkat count?!) but not junk all day either. My "funny tea" (rooibos) gets drunk in gallons. I've always known with all my cats when they have had enough and because Swampy and I have an amazingly close bond and always have, I know I will know. I've made several compromises from the 'ideal' in the last few months as he ages and gets more feeble, like who cares what he eats and cutting non essential meds or supplements. The vet said I must put interferon up his nose 5 times daily and I just said I'm not doing that, sorry.
The most important thing is and always has been Swampy's quality of life. I swore when he had his accident that this would end when Swampy wanted it to, not when I was too tired. I don't have to work, I can do this. Your emotional support is really important though so thank you and bless & a purr from the choccy monster heater boy xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3006 on: November 05, 2009, 13:45:26 PM »
Im sure the dose will be out of his system by now, he does have them daily!  ;)

You must not feel this way Kate, you in my book are doing everything you can for Swampy (much more than most could cope with)  :hug:

Please give yourself a mental break.....You need to be strong to do this for him!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Hoping and praying that Swampy will come round and start feeling a lot better!  :wish:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3005 on: November 05, 2009, 13:02:16 PM »
oh Kate I hate reading that Swampy is suffering so much.....I hope he settles soon, poor baby xxx

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3004 on: November 05, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Of course the one factor one does not take into account is one's own health. When it all gets too much it is often one's own tiredness and emotional exaustion that adds to one's stress and fear and feelings of inadequacy which is why it is important to look after mum as well as puss. Everyday is a bonus with Swampy and he would have long floated away had it not been for your persistant efforts and his wonderful understanding of his need to take his meds. What I found with Chequie was there came a point that she did not want anymore preds or antibiotics or vets and she increasingly wanted to be alone; not because she did not want me or was rejecting me as I naturally felt but because cats by nature when the end comes need to focuss their concentration ready for the off and their suffering reaches a pont that they need to give all their concentration to it, any intervention makes them afraid of being picked up or moved. Sadly one of my biggest mistakes was not to let her alone to die. She wanted to just go to a quite room in the house to do it, as my previous cat Baby wanted to go outside but died on the stone tiles in the hall, I was worried about the weather but I should have listened to him. It's hard because your duty is to never give up and that makes it extra hard to know when to let go or when puss is going. I hope you can get some good rest and that you are eating properly yourself. The one boon when Swampy does go is that all his poor suffering will be over, but for you a part of you will be gone and it will be difficult. The great bonus now is that you are still having precious moments together.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3003 on: November 05, 2009, 10:48:35 AM »
thanks Sarasara.  :hug:  I am so tired that everything feels like a dungbeetle rolling a huge dung ball up kilimanjaro! The vet was more relaxed than me (he didn't spend the whole night up though did he) but Swampy wouldn't let him take enough blood to do all the necessary including his red and white count, just enough for biochem. Results back tonight or tomorrow and probably not very good as he is very dehydrated after vomiting up his water in the night. He doesn't normally do that, nor normally wee as often as the steroids made him wee. So we may have to repeat next week. He is to go on to 50mls sub cuts 3x a week, which I suppose is twice x every other day and then a 3 day break. The vet was in a rush this morning so guess what,we'll be back next week.  I still have to buy fortekor as he claims that the generic isn't licensed for cats for another month (?!!!).

Swampy is a bit calmer now and is in front of his heater and may have a snooze. He ate some k/d but so not enough so I'll have to prop it up with a/d.  I know I am doing just what I can for him as I love him so very much but when you make stupid mistakes that is hard to take, even stupid mistakes that aren't obviously deliberate. Thanks for your post though, made me feel better xxxx

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3002 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
When I lost my little Chequie  :scared: from cancer of the oesophagus I blamed myself and still do, yet any rational observer would say I did my best and of course made loads of mistakes in hindsight. Unlike humans or dogs, cats are extremly delicate, complicated creatures and any sickness seems to be devastating for them. I have never heard of anyone who has done so much for their pussy as you Swampmaxmum, nor such a great fighter like the Great  ;) Swampy.

Naturally no matter how hard you try you will never feel that you have done enough. The rules change everyday, entirely new complications present themselves. If a sick cat was as good as writing as being ill it would be Charles Dickens. It's hard to keep up with all the changes, all the challenges, all the decisions. Hard to know exactly what to do right and having done something after much worry and thought that turns out to wrong one should not blame oneself but one does.

Hugs to you and Swampy, one day he will leave for the rainbow bridge, we all will, and you will have done all you can and more.  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3001 on: November 05, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
my biggest fear is that I'd do something stupid, make a wrong decision which would harm him and finish him off. It feels like that now. Clearly although he vomited twice just 20 mins after having his steroids, he did keep them down. He's had a double dose. I've been up with him all night as he can't rest and just wants to walk, wee and move about as is so agitated. It's so bad for his CRF, his cold and all this walking is too much. I hope and think that it will wear off but in the meantime I can't help thinking that I've now gone and done it. I got away with the sub cut mistake but now this. I've put him in front of his halogen heater and he lies there for 5 mins then gets up, then I try to calm him, another 5 mins and he gets up again. I am a complete idiot. I didn't wait yesterday to see if the steroids had worked, as he was weak in the morning and he needed them. But he didn't need a double dose. He was last like this a year ago but was much stronger then. Please please hope that he will recover ok.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:17:31 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3000 on: November 04, 2009, 15:40:21 PM »
Bless him, chances are he did bring it up being so soon after taking it!  :hug:

This snotty nose lark must be a real pain for you both, his sense of smell must be suffering also which wont help his appetite!  :( :hug:

Thinking of you all and hoping his nose calms down....Best of luck for tomorrow!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2999 on: November 04, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
 :thanks: xxxx  He's had 2 good days but today is more difficult. His cold got worse overnight, no idea why. I'd thought the L Lysine was working nicely to free up the snot. Freed up snot = mum can clean it up so Swampy feels a lot better and doesn't vomit. He whoopsed up his pred dose about 25 mins after having it so I assumed (I hope correctly) that it had come up - vet's nurse thinks so - although I couldn't see it and believe me I do inspect what comes up! But it had been in a gelcap so impossible to know. Anyhow he has to have his pred so I gave it again. I hope it's not a double dose as that will not do wonders for his snottiness.
some sun to lie in on the bed, but far too cold to take him out  - I so wish we had a door there, then could just let him pop in and out for a minute or two to get some fresh air. Climbing through the window for just a few minutes disappoints him as he gets his harness on and purrs and and expects warmth.....and then it's cold. So I leave him inside now with his heater.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2998 on: November 04, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
Rooting for you both Swampmaxmum and Swampy, hope that all  is well today and all the fans of Swampy will be praying for you both.
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2997 on: November 03, 2009, 16:10:16 PM »
 :hug: The bravest mum and pussy  :hug: on the planet is Swampmaxmum  :Luv2: and the Great Swampy  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 16:10:56 PM by sarasara »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2996 on: November 03, 2009, 15:40:27 PM »
I'd stick to the ad Kate, at least he keep's it down which will be a big worry off!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2995 on: November 03, 2009, 13:02:06 PM »
I'm getting fussed about having to feed him a/d when I assist feed. He eats senior pate by himself but I tried to assist feed him renal food blended and it's so liquid (no water even added) that it mixes with his snot and he tends to vomit.
He's far more likely to keep down a/d. It's high in calories too which is good. I suppose a/d is better than nothing.

He had a little sub cuts again (30ml) and they do definitely help him to feel better. Yesterday after just 15mls he was much more purry and contented. The vet says 50mls 3x a week but I'm wondering if I shouldn't split that into little amounts every day or at worst every other day. Does anyone who has done sub cuts have an opinion on what would work best? Swampy is drinking a lot more now as his CRF worsens.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2994 on: November 02, 2009, 16:41:07 PM »
Best of luck for his blood's on Thursday....So glad he is having loads of lovely, purry snoozes with the one's he loves the mostest!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2993 on: November 02, 2009, 15:03:18 PM »
Lots more vibes and hugs for the swampy family  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2992 on: November 02, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »
 :thanks: Swampy was on injections after his accident but if he can keep down his pred, it works nicely on him. He's going to the vet on thurs for bloods, if all is well until then. His mum's very nervous. I know his CRF is worse, but at least today it's sunny and he is purring his head off on the bed next to me bless him.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2991 on: November 01, 2009, 22:15:18 PM »
Issey was on pred tablets for months

but i found the injections so much better, really did give her a new lease of life
she had Dexafort...(goes on weight)
wonder if it would be worth speaking to your vet about them

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2990 on: November 01, 2009, 17:08:40 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 17:19:54 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2989 on: November 01, 2009, 17:04:37 PM »
Great news!  :wow:

Have you managed to record his purrs yet then?  :Luv2:

yes, used Audacity, which saved to WAV and .aud but can't work out how to do it in MP3 :(  and I used iMovie. I have 2 mins of purring. I connected the laptop to the speakers and played his purrs. Wonderful. I highly recommend it for anyone to do, especially if your much loved cat is poorly. I wish I had the skills to put it as a soundtrack to a little video clip of Swampy.

He's parked in front of the halogen heater. I'd taken the steroids down to 1, which seems to have been what made him slower and less reponsive. I took it up by 1/4 pill and he felt better. I spoke to my usual vet about it and he said he thinks it's very important to keep him happy and purring and if the 1/4 extra helps then to do it, even if it's not as good for his CRF as a lower dose.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2988 on: November 01, 2009, 16:29:31 PM »
Wonderful news  :wow:
Hope he continues to have many more good days and nights despite this lousy weather :( :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2987 on: November 01, 2009, 16:14:46 PM »
Great news!  :wow:

Have you managed to record his purrs yet then?  :Luv2:

Thinking of you all!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2986 on: November 01, 2009, 14:06:47 PM »
Yes, he has pred tablets. I think most of it was absorbed. Certainly he was a lot more sensible and awake last night.

Today I played his purring through the speakers. It sounds like a lion  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2985 on: October 31, 2009, 16:44:28 PM »
Bless him!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Are the steroids in tab form? Think they should of been in his system by then (hope so anyway!)  :hug:

Abs have no effect on a cold whatsoever!  :tired: Only if there is infection related to it!  ;) :hug:

Thinking of you both and hoping you have a good weekend!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2984 on: October 31, 2009, 16:40:56 PM »
many thanks Mark  :hug:

yes he's lost a lot of weight after the pleural effusion and the frusemide, but his coat's still very shiny. He loves being brushed too which helps. He's a bit quiet and subdued after his antibiotics but we'll see how we go. I can apparently put him back on them if necessary. I don't think they work on his cold (virus) but maybe help in other ways. I'm hoping his steroids make him brighter plus he had a few sub cut fluids today (35mls) which makes him brighter too a bit.
Only thing is he drank water 1 1/2 hours after having his steroids and then vomited a bit. I wonder/hope that that's long enough to have fully absorbed the dose?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2983 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
He looks lovely Kate -  I love his rich chocolately coat  :Luv2:

btw - we did reptiles in college yesterday and they did a bit about lamps. They said the best for vitamin D3 are the mercury vapour lamps but the downside was having to be very careful due to poisoning if they break.

I will see if I can find the powerpoint slide and post it later.

Edit - not sure how to copy text from a powerpoint slide but it doesn't really tell you much more than that they are very powerful, cover a much larger area than a fluorescent lamp, provide heat as well as light and are the closest to sunlight.

I didn't realise how expensive they are  :Crazy: - this is a cheaper brand  :Crazy: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-Mercury-Vapour-Lamp-125W-reptile_W0QQitemZ400076460517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item5d266a51e5

The powersun ones (that he had on the slide) are double the price  :Crazy:

AND he said it is important that they are changed every 6 months (for reptiles) as they lose their efficiency.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 13:48:50 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2982 on: October 31, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
Awwww that's a lovely piccy!  :Luv:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2981 on: October 30, 2009, 16:20:24 PM »
In spite of everything Kate he still looks wonderful :Luv: and his coat is so shiny :wow:
Hes a credit and testamont to all the love and care hes recieved from you over the last year since his accident :hug: :hug:
Glad hes managed to get rid of some of his snot :sick: he must feel a lot better :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2980 on: October 30, 2009, 13:51:22 PM »
Wow what a beautiful pussy, so nice to see a picture of Swampy. :Luv2:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2979 on: October 30, 2009, 13:37:05 PM »
Gosh sorry to hear he fell out of bed, glad to hear he was okay though Im sure you panicked for England over it!  :hug:

Yay for the snot coming out, Im sure that will make him feel a lot more pleasant!  :Luv2: :hug:

That piccie of him is lovely, just look at his shiney coat!  :wow:

Thinking of you all!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2978 on: October 30, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2977 on: October 30, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
not the greatest Swampy photo in the world, but his belated birthday present arrived this morning. I didn't know what to give him on October 16th, then was browsing while his usual blanket was in the wash and found this one, in "his" colour  ;)  It's german, none of that made in kitty-cruel China as well so his mum's happy about that too.
I think he approves as the purr count went up immediately. He's in front of the halogen heater on it, about to be moved to the feeble sun in the bedroom. He's a bit slower since coming off the marbocyl, don't know if that's usual or not?

anyhow he's a bit scrunched up but here he is, about 1/2 hour ago:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2976 on: October 29, 2009, 15:54:08 PM »
 :hug: :hug:  Glad he was able to get rid of his snotty nose, bless him.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2975 on: October 29, 2009, 15:37:44 PM »
No, Swampy was very calm. He even let the vet hold him for a bit. He's a little bit lighter than last week on the baby scales, 0.05g or something.  My vet wasn't pleased by his being given marbocyl as apparently it makes giving other antibiotics a problem as none of the others are quite as strong. He wants Swampy off all antibiotics from today and we will try some virbagen eye drops to see if that helps at all, plus Lysine. Swampy had a good day yesterday (probably because his nose snot all came out and I could wipe it up) but not as good today. He gave me Lacto B to try but said it may also make him sick (?)

Swampy also fell off the bed at lunchtime (but is ok thank God). I left him unattended while I went to get his food. About 2 mins. Swampy chased the sun to the edge of the bed and fell off. He'd been asleep when I left him. Just shows just how quickly things can happen.
I had him on Purina NF yesterday but back on to A/D today as I think it has more calories and what he eats by himself has almost none -senior turkey pate.  We didn't do bloods today as he had saline put up his nose (didn't mind too much: I'm supposed to do it at home for him too) and we thought that was enough excitement for the day.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2974 on: October 28, 2009, 14:11:35 PM »
Bet your glad to have him back especially with his renewed positive outlook!  :wow:

Positive vibes for Swampy's visit tomorrow....and hope there is no biting this time!  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :hug:

Link to CatChat