Author Topic: Gypsy very poorly - She's gone  (Read 17732 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Gypsy very poorly - NOT RESPONDING TO TREATMENT,
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
I thought she was improving slightly, yesterday evening she seemed more comfortable and I hand fed her some a/d. This morning she had her tablet and  little later I hand fed her some a/d. About an hour ago I noticed she was open-mouth breathing and her breathing was distressed/laboured.

Vet has admitted her and she's in an oxygen tent
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:58:06 AM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Gypsy very poorly
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
Poor Gypsy   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
Hope Gypsy gets better real soon, sending lots and hugs to you both xx
Caroline xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
hope she is better soon, Oscar has calici and I know how horrible it can be when they have a flare up

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
I hope she is feeling better today - poor Gypsy  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
Poor Gypsy, and poor you, it must be horrible to hear a nasty cough  :hug:

Sending loads of get well soon wishes over to dear Gypsy  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:27:52 AM »
Sending healing vibes for Gypsy~~~~~~Get Well Soon!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 00:14:55 AM »
Did the vet just give a vitamin injection this morning or an antibiotic one as well?  Usually an antibiotic jab gets into the system quicker than tablets and should bring down any temp if she's got one.  It may be worth getting some Olbas oil or similar to help clear her up a little bit, you would only need to put some in some hot water so she can breathe in the fumes.   Fingers crossed she'll start feeling alot better soon  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 00:08:28 AM »
 :thanks:

How long did the vet say it would take for the meds to have an effect?

She didnt say, and I kinda expected improvement straight away (after the vet gave her a tab this morn) - daft I know! - but especially since she'd already been having nisamox - obviously that wasnt having any effect though.

the main thing at this point is keeping up her fluids and if need be, you can syringe her the a/d.    Oxycare are usually okay for cat flu symptoms, what dosage have they given you? 

I was quite pleased she's drunk a fair bit of her own accord as she hadnt been before. Vet has given me oxycare 50mg tabs -1 tab twice a day. Its this crackly cough - she hasnt had this before. I was worried it had gone to her chest - but vet thinks not, thinks its still upper respiratory.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 00:01:38 AM »
Oh Gillian, i do hope Gypsy feels better by tomorrow , sending you and Gypsy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 23:16:07 PM »
Poor Gypsy  :hug:  There's not a lot you can do apart from what you're doing, the main thing at this point is keeping up her fluids and if need be, you can syringe her the a/d.    Oxycare are usually okay for cat flu symptoms, what dosage have they given you?  It may be a couple of days before she starts feeling better and the vitamin B should encourage her with her eating.  Keeping everything crossed she starts to feel better soon, and as Gill said, keep an eye on her.  If she gets any worse, I would get her straight back in again  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 23:01:44 PM »
Oh dear poor Gypsy  :hug: :hug:

I dont know but if she is drinking and had some ad that will be good for her,. How long did the vet say it would take for the meds to have an effect?

All you can do is keep watch over her I think  :hug: :hug:

I hope she improves over night

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Gypsy very poorly - She's gone
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 22:58:38 PM »
Gypsy had cat flu - the herpesvirus about 3 years ago - she was really ill with it and wouldnt eat, really though I might lose her. However she did recover slowly and after that she had several recurrences, less severe than the initial illness. She's been fine for about a year now, maybe the occasional sniffle, but nothing serious until now.

She started sneezing and I just thought it would run its course like usual, but last week it developed into coughing (a horrid crackley cough). I took her to the vet last Wed (she was still eating up till this point) vet gave her antibiotic injection and tablets. By that evening she didnt want any tea and seemed worse. She didnt eat for a few days, but I thought I'd see how she went over the weekend, anyway she still wasnt eating, so I started syringing liquivite, which she clearly didnt want but I knew she had to have some nourishment.

I've taken her back this morning as she was no better and still not eating, vet gave her vitB injection, different tabs (Oxycare - never had those before) and dexadresen (don't know why that one!) She's still not eaten on her own, I've managed to hand feed her her some a/d and she has drunk some water of her own accord, but she's still very poorly - just lying on her side and the horrible coughing - what else can I do,
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:56:16 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat