Author Topic: Rehoming with all day workers  (Read 2731 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Rehoming with all day workers
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 19:37:30 PM »
yes, smidgen was 16 weeks when he arrived (see pix of five minutes after getting out of box) and he has settled nicely (if a little flamboyantly). He has Esther, an adult cat who was also a new arrival but who had just weaned kittens for company. To give you an idea of scale, Shadow, the dog, is a labrador/rottweiler cross, and a bit bigger than your average lab, but with a fairly fine head to him.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 16:04:11 PM »
Or you could pick kittens a few weeks older so they are ok to leave.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
We frequently get people asking us to take a singleton kitten who they've got off a neighbour or out of the paper. Single kittens get bored all day and start damaging things through play :(

We don't mind people taking 2 kittens because they keep each other entertained. But you do have to be aware they are babies and can get in as much mischief as human babies will. If you've a precious vase your granny gave you for your 18th birthday, lock it away!  ;)

And as Ela says, it's best to have someone check and feed at lunchtime while they are little.  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »
Are most rescue centres (inc. CCG) reluctant to rehome kittens with all day workers?

We would not home one alone but happy to place 2 as long as for the first few weeks the new owner can get home at  lunchtime to feed them and keep them in of course.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:23:05 AM »
I foster as well and have a 9-5 job.

Don't see too much of a problem if you're getting two kittens, they'll have each other for company and everything.

I'm sure you'll find a rescue that will let you adopt and then you can show us loads of pictures (its mandatory).

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
I'm a teacher and a fosterer Pinky. I took on Purrcy at 8 weeks round the Easter Hols. He's a 'special' boy and he copes fine with me being out. He does have my 2 permanent cats for company though. I would recommend the pair definitely, and of course not the Christmas hols as this can be a very busy family time and not the best time to settle little ones in. There are rescues who will allow workers to adopt, just don't give up on rescues just yet!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 20:21:46 PM »
Yes a lot of my work is done at home so spend every evening, weekend and school holiday at home. If rehoming from a rescue centre would be a problem I would look into other options.

Thanks for the advice. When the time comes I will make sure it is during the school holidays so that I have plenty of time to settle the kittens in their new home.

:thanks:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 20:16:42 PM »
I posted this on your other thread  :Luv:, but in case you have missed it, I would certainly introduce kittens during the school holidays.  Having friends who teach, I guess that, while you work full time, a large proportion of your work is done at home, in preparation, marking etc, so you are not out of the house for the huge number of hours some workers are?

:welcome: to Purrs!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 20:14:04 PM »
THey generally seem to have serious reservations about rehoming kittens to all-day workers. There are many reasons for this, not least of which is that the kitten will need to be fed more than twice and day and cannot go for 8-10 hours without food. If you adopt and older cat there are fewer problems, but you would still need to convince them that the cat would be properly cared for, had adequate entertainment to while away the hours of owner absence and that arrangements could be made for caring for the cat if it became ill.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 20:13:16 PM »
I dont know sorry but would say if you are having two kittens then I do not see the problem, especially if you got them during one of the longer school holidays.

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
Rehoming with all day workers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 20:11:24 PM »
Hi there

I am looking at welcoming 2 kittens into my home in a few months time. I would love to offer a home to kittens from a rescue centre.
Are most rescue centres (inc. CCG) reluctant to rehome kittens with all day workers?

Link to CatChat