Author Topic: A great misunderstanding with lost cats  (Read 1472 times)

ccmacey

Re: A great misunderstanding with lost cats
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 13:32:03 PM »
I have took 2 cats to the vets where the owners didnt want them and the vet has never scaned them, but then again my vet knows me so they would have no reason to think anything else.

These cats owners did not want the cat so I have said they were strays when I knew they were not, their "owners" were glad they were gone and I found them a new home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: A great misunderstanding with lost cats
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:43:22 AM »
My appeal to anyone who has lost a cat is not to ignore reporting losses to vets for these reasons.

I agree although my vet does scan . My advise for lost/ found cats can be seen on my site. www.chesterfieldcats.co.ok
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
A great misunderstanding with lost cats
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 13:18:01 PM »
I've been quite busy with missing cats locally. 3 have been found safe and well, the 4th was sadly an RTA and I'm looking for a 5th.

Anyway, something came to my attention from 2 owners which shows a great misunderstanding. When asked if they had contacted local vets both said no as the cat was chipped and the vet would automatically scan. Neither had ID collars.

There are 2 points that need emphasising:

1. Whilst all vets should scan for chips there are some who don't so this automatically so it is not fail safe. Some vets will record chip numbers on annual booster cards and check each year for a signal but this is rare in my experience locally.

2. Often found cats remain with the finder and do not visit the vet. They are simply recorded as found and the veterinary staff are asked to link this with any reports of missing cats. Some people do this as they will provide food and shelter, some may hope to give the cat a home. The point is that the cat does not visit the surgery and veterinary staff often forget to say bring the cat in for scanning.

My appeal to anyone who has lost a cat is not to ignore reporting losses to vets for these reasons.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat