Author Topic: In praise of the RSPCA (for a change)  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: In praise of the RSPCA (for a change)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 18:26:15 PM »
I don't know how it was done. He said he has heard about them PTS but said he would only sign over if they weren't being killed - sorry, PTS isn't the right word when killing healthy animals?

He said they are going to a vet in Herne Bay. I rang my vet and they don't know about it. There is another vet in Herne Bay that Sharon uses for her own cats so maybe we should speak to them - we do have room at a push although it is at a registered cattery so they would have to be neutered and vacced first.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
I wouldn't be so quick on the praise personally... did he sign them over on the usual form... which clearly states that they can euthanase within so much time if they deem it appropriate! 

was a thing on BBC just the other week about the RSPCA and their aggressive and misdirected prosecutions... was rather interesting.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 19:11:18 PM »
Well that does sound positive and I hope it works out, however I am a bit dubious about the story he has told you about the council telling him to get rid of the cats. On what grounds are they saying that. They only way they can enforce it is on breach of tenancy if it is a council property, but they would be on a sticky wicket there or Environmental Health, but that is usually if you have 12 cats or more and then you cna be classed as a cattery and therefore need a licence, but it is not often a local authority enforce that.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
In praise of the RSPCA (for a change)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 13:35:01 PM »
Spoke to a man who has been told by the council to "get rid of"  >:( 3 of their cats. We possibly would have had space next week subject to vacs etc. I phoned him and none of them are neutered or vaccinated as they can't afford it  :Crazy: (I resisted lecturing) - he said he was just about to let us know that the RSPCA are taking them. He has to take them to the vets in Herne Bay on Monday. I will phone the vet to make sure nothing bad is happening. I told him that I have heard stories about the RSPCA - he said so had he so he made a point of saying he would only hand them over as long as no PTS. The woman that runs our local branch is ex-CP so hoping all will be OK. 2 of them are 2 years old and the other 7 month old.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat