Author Topic: Will change of use be needed for fostering?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Will change of use be needed for fostering?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:44 AM »
I've just read the CC thread and think that, although fostering is great, it would be a very bad idea with this neighbour, regardless of the regs regarding the buildings.

More detailed answer on CC.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 19:48:22 PM »
Even conservatories don't need planing permission so a small cat run shouldn't. I would advise to find someone in the planning department to give you some guidance - always best to keep the enemy close  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 19:45:20 PM »
If you think she may try and cause issues then you need to contact your council to make sure, i dont reckon you will need planning as its not like adding a conservatory to the house.
Better to be safe than sorry

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 19:17:23 PM »
I am afraid that the phrase "Get a life" comes to mind with her. She enjoys causing problems and does not like me because I stand up to her. She has her click and has fallen out with neighbours on a regular basis, especially the ones that will not put up with her gossip >:(ing!

For the full story go to "Cat hating neighbour" in cat chat on Health and Behaviour.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 18:49:26 PM »
I don't think the subject has ever come up for us. I know it's probably different if you're planning on starting a professional cattery, but I see many cases of strange constructions in people's gardens - pigeon lofts for example. They surely can't need planning permission?

It's so sad when neighbours fall out.  :( Is it that she doesn't like cats or does it go deeper?  :shy:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Will change of use be needed for fostering?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 18:36:53 PM »
I am pre empting a particuarly nasty and vindicative neighbour.  :P

I have 4 cats of my own and foster up to three others at a time. All of my own have outside access and although I may have three fosters in as housecats, they may not all go out, due to pregnancy, illness etc. In fact it is rare that I do have three in at once.

Later this month I am having two pens errected which will hold either single cats or perhaps two in a pen if they come in as pairs. The pens will be at the side of the house and cannot be seen from the road or by the neighbours. I use compostable cat litter, which is either dealt with in my compost or goes into my green bin for collection and composting by the local council. The only thing I cannot compost is the solid waste which is wrapped in a bag and disposed of in normal household rubbish. Meat tins are rinsed out and recycled so there is no extra rubbish there and because they have been rinsed out, there is no smell. Visitors to my house for collection/dropping off of cats are able to park on my drive.

A lot of research on my part reveals that change of use is only normally required if 12 or more cats are kept and then it can be deemed as a rescue. The errection of pens varies from authority to authority and as they will not be seen from the road or by the neighbours, I am hoping that this will not present an issue.

There is the question of the Environmental Protection Act if the activities are deemed to be a nusiance, either smell, noise, excess traffic etc. But I take great pains to ensure that it is not a nuisance.

Does any one else have experience of falling foul of planning. I have no issues yet, but I feel that due to the wicked witch of the east I may have soon!  :censored:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Link to CatChat