Author Topic: Need help from Rescue Centre Staff & Owners Of Various Cats....  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Need help from Rescue Centre Staff & Owners Of Various Cats....
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 18:12:39 PM »
Maybe you could start a TNR program ....  :sneaky:

Depends what part of France we're talking about, but I am 15 minutes drive from Dover. Any excuse for a fill up at Carrefour!  :evillaugh: I'd be happy to pop over and advice - all you need are funds and a sympathetic vet. :sneaky:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 17:29:30 PM »
Maybe you could start a TNR program ....  :sneaky:

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
Thanks for the great advice, Frankie starts his vacinations in 10 days, so we can coordinate the arrival of the kitten at the same time and get that one vaccinated aswell.  I never even thought about this so big thanks.  Frankie does have cat tendancies & is learning to hunt, pounce etc but he is very quiet not at all vocal based on my experience with kittens - so as you say this should help his development.

Yes word is getting around!  Last year we nearly took in 8 kittens as an emergency.  An american holiday maker came here and found a box of kittens in the trash.  They rescued them for their 3 week stay but needed to find homes.  Sadly they didn't and we were not here in time to take them so they went to a shelter.  The twist here was the american was so in love that as soon as she got back to america she made plans to fly them all out to USA where they now live happily every after!

Shame there is no trap and neuter program here in France!

Thanks for all the great advice... Mind is made up new kitten will be coming to us :)
H x

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 20:50:12 PM »
As others have already said it should help Frankie's social development to be with another kitten and will prove good company for each other.

I would also heed Pinkbears good advice.... as prevention is always important... :)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 20:34:14 PM »
At that young age, you shouldn't have a problem mixing them at all, BUT... make sure they are vaccinated before you do. There's a reason for this.  :sneaky:

Almost all established groups of ferals have never been vaccinated for anything, so when a virus strikes the group, they either die or develop an immunity and from then on, they might continue to carry that virus and 'shed' it during certain circumtances - usually stress related. This only holds true for viruses the group has been exposed to, and there are many variations of cat flu, for example, that a specific group of ferals may never have com across. Both kittens may appear healthy now, but they could both be carrying antibodies to different strains and when mixed, they might shed the virus and make each other ill. By vaccinated them before you mix them, you will at least give them some chance of fighting off any nasties they may sheding.

I'm not saying vaccination will prevent them infecting each other, but it should lessen the effect of any illness they come down with. Nor am I saying they definately are shedding a virus, but with cats coming from different places whose background you don't know, it's a smart precaution to take before you mix them.  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 20:28:04 PM »
At his age he will soon love a buddy and he can learn some cat manners too  ;D your kitty definately looked bigger for his age so they probably arent much different.

Go for it  ;D ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 19:48:11 PM »
I think it will actually help with his social development. Being an only kitten at his age he might not learn to be a cat. Having a slightly older kitten to rough and tumble with, and learn cat language from will do him good. Sounds like the word has spread in your neighbourhood that you are a sucker for sicky kittens though, so beware!!  :rofl:

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
Need help from Rescue Centre Staff & Owners Of Various Cats....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 19:40:24 PM »
Is there ever a good time to introduce a new cat? Some of you may know my story - 3 weeks ago tomorrow we picked up a feral kitten (only 3 weeks old at the time) on the side of the road and took him in (doing very well and very settled!).  We didn't plan cats just yet but fate had other ideas.  We called him Frankie and 2 visits to the vet and a lot of love and attention he is doing fantastic :)

Anyway someone has approached us with another Male kitten 8 weeks old (so 2 weeks older than our kitten frankie) and same circumstances (e.g. left from mother about 2 weeks old).  This lady took in 8 feral kittens and has managed to rehome most of the females but is struggling with the Males.  The woman already has a house full of her own pets (like really 6 cats, 3 dogs, chickens, horses the lot!) and although she has taken them in from a week old cannot care for them long term and will have no option but to put them in a shelter after they are 3 months old (which here in france does not look that good).  There is still hope the others find homes BUT i am wondering if I should take a another kitten from another litter in.  As we now have one kitten, I see little more trouble in having another BUT I don't know how Frankie (current kitten) will handle it.  Can anyone help, Frankie has had a troubled start and I don't want him to be in distress at all BUT would love to help another stray kitten if possible.  I think he may like a playmate, but he certainly is attached to my and my husband and loves the 1 on 1 attention.

Any advice?

Thanks as always
Helen xxx

Link to CatChat