Author Topic: weaning and litter training  (Read 1993 times)

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
Re: weaning and litter training
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 16:16:01 PM »
Dont think I wanna know how you showed them to use a litter tray  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At the moment I am so tempted to show Ozzy, as she is on purpose missing her tray.  But I don't want to be the person to sift it in the scoop.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 16:12:54 PM »
Dont think I wanna know how you showed them to use a litter tray  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 15:57:55 PM »
I found that Ozzy wasn't sure about eating solid cat food when I got her, so I would get on my knees and pretend to eat her food, she then would come over, give it a sniff and start eating.

Litter training has been a nightmare, be prepared to buy more than one litter tray and put them in the corners of the house or room where your bundle of joy decides to go.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »
Personally I'd start weaning them on wet food mixed with water before biscuits (just personal choice though). Hills A/D is good for weaning as it's really sloppy if you give it a really good stir and add a little kitten milk or water to it.

There are special biscuits out there designed for weaning kittens (very soft and very tiny pieces) such as Royal Canin Babycat. I'd definately soak the JWB biscuits in some warm water if that is what you will use to wean them as they will only have baby teeth. Don't leave soaked biscuits down for more than 15mins though as bacteria can start to grow.

I wouldn't force them to wean at any particular age but usually by 4 weeks old they will show some interest in 'real' food. If they show no sign of interest by 5-6 weeks or so then mix some wet food with water to make a 'slop' and then very gently put their muzzle into it and they will then lick their lip to clean themselves and will go 'yum yum' and usually start lapping at the bowl. They will still drink from Mummy as well though.

Mummy cat will usually litter train them (they will see her using the tray and will copy her) but if not then pop them into the litter tray once they have eaten as this is when they will usually go. If they have an accident on the floor then pop it in the litter tray so they can smell that that is where they are supposed to go.

Make sure you use a very soft litter as they won't like anything sharp under their feet and use one that doesn't clump as if kittens eat clumping litter it can cause a blockage and kill them.

I'm sure others will be along to give you more advice as well.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline lillielove

• Adult Cat
weaning and litter training
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
hello,lillies kittens are doing really well i will post some pics later today,i have a couple of questions when should i start to wean them i was going to put them on jwb kitten same as mum, should i use boiled water or some sort of cat milk to make it sloppy and when and how do i litter train them
thank you ;D

Link to CatChat