Author Topic: Poot is just so greedy!!  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Poot is just so greedy!!
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 15:21:04 PM »
Perhaps Poot might like to try out normal Felix pouches as our lot don't seem to tell much difference between that and AGAIL and your purse might like the change of diet  :-:

Am surprised there is such a difference in the amounts the Purrs' furries eat.  I think our 6 all eat about the same amount of food overall only some (the 2 young girls) eat far more quickly than others.  They are all on about 2 to 3 pouches a day plus a little dry.  Those that like dry get less wet.  The girls have to be separately fed to avoid Millie hoovering up all in her path.  The days of leaving down dry food are long long gone  :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 13:18:36 PM »
Well boys and girls, Poot's first Poot on Pouches taste test has revealed the following:-

Hi-Life chicken pouches are yummy, and get hoovered in a millisecond.

As Good as It Looks is also yummy, loves that!

Natures Menu he can take or leave, although I've not seen leave yet, just eat more slowly  :evillaugh:

and finally, Whiskas tins in gravy are just bleugch  :sick:

Watch this space for the next episode of Poot on Pouches  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 07:54:27 AM »
Yup, you had Floyd on Food, this can be Poot on Pouches  :rofl:

:rofl:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 18:57:18 PM »
Oh he's a good boy and leaves all the wine for his meowmy  :hug:  ;)  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 18:49:16 PM »
 :rofl:

Just make sure Poot keeps his wine down to the bare minimum!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 17:23:18 PM »
Yup, you had Floyd on Food, this can be Poot on Pouches  :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 17:14:10 PM »
Maybe he can become our very own cat food critique!  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 16:55:39 PM »
Well Poot is now learning that human food is just as fun (oh well, we had a few weeks of eating dinner in peace lol), so he's been getting titbits of good food like fish and chicken  :)

He's still a munch-monster, he follows J around the house if ever he's home between lessons in the daytime, much to his amusement!

I've bought some tins to see if that's a better idea than the pouches, so will see if he likes them as an alternative, he's not really had gravy food before so have bought him some yummy flavours  :)

He adores Hi-Life, chicken and duck I think it is, it disappears faster than anything else!  Natures Menu is not on the favourites list, or at least I assume not as the bowl is not licked completely clean  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 21:53:56 PM »
Misa and Sasa graze and are piggys and have just got me to give them an extra pouch at night before I go to bed. Misa is usually outside and as soon as he sees the kitchen light go on he rushes through the flap.....must reduce the biscuits to compensate!

Ducha is not eating well at all and is having slamon every night to try and get him to eat better. last night made the mistake of giving it in the bedroom where Franta was eyeing it and Ducha was being pushed out...bad mistake must do it where franta is not LOL

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 17:50:55 PM »
My Oscar is very greedy and I think he has a very short memory!  :shocked:

Pippa on the other hand runs away from the wet food if its not to her liking!  :-:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 16:30:20 PM »
unfortunately two of mine are baloon bellys - not sure how to tackle it best really

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 16:29:09 PM »
Is Poot greedy cos you've got about 10 dishes of food all over the house Clare?  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

I can never work them out with their food - Tibby would eat a large tin of pilchards a day and nothing else.  Smidge would have a bowl of biscuits to eat when he wanted - when it was empty I filled it up again, also 2 small tins of tuna and 1 or 2 pouches of food.  Bonnie has the bowl of biscuits, 3 - 4 pouches of gourmet and Dreamies treats.  None overweight and all very healthy.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 13:50:00 PM »
Ah, all sounds fairly regular behaviour then, and I too think its because he's not yet used to understanding that he will get regular food (and of course regular cuddles lol, that goes without saying!).

I think I'll keep with 2-3 pouches a day then, with the occasional handful of biscuits to keep him going, I don't want him to eat too much dry as that's what made Maxy get porky  :shy:

I'd rather he scoff the wet food as its probably better in the longrun  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 13:50:24 PM by clarenmax »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 13:43:17 PM »
Sounds as if Poot has done Blip's correspondence course  ;)

Blip is - and always has been - a real trencherpud.  It's so nice when they obviously enjoy their food so much  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 13:42:01 PM »
Milo is a real foody, he gobbles his food down in seconds and still wants more. I have put it down to him being a stray and his still (after 20 months of being with us) learning when his next meal is.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »
 :evillaugh: glad to know he loves his food! We've had some cats who have eaten more than others I suppose sometimes they burn the cals off faster.   Pepper has the equivalent of about 3-4 pouches a day and treats of what we have whereas Byron probably has half that amount but Pep needs that.  I think though that he has a large appetite anyway  ;)  I've bought mine those play/treat things in the past and they are good because they entertain them too  :) it's worth giving them a go.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:49:51 AM »
If he already had the treatment recently and as he is an indoor kitty then I don't think he has any worms left over, so that rules out this possible problem.  Oliver was like Poot in his early days so I had him checked but he was cleared of it too.  Now he has grown to be a super fussy spoiled brat it is a job finding something he likes, well, besides whipped cream, mozzarella and roasted turkey slices!!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
  I assume you have had him checked for worms btw?

Hiya, he was wormed by CP when he was neutered, and his belly doesn't look swollen or anything, which I would expect if he maybe had worms?

Wonder if its worth repeating the worming treatment, or is that only applicable if there are signs of them?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »
Memphs is 2 and very active but only eats one pouch per day with a few biccies. He never ever asks for more or acts hungry - I guess it's like humans in that some people don't eat much but others need to eat a lot more.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
Well IMO it's all good that he has a hearty appetite, he looks so small (or am I too much used to seeing my 8,5kg mass?) he has a lot of room to grow!!  I don't remember reading much of his background, but perhaps he didn't have enough chance to eat before coming to you so he is trying to get all he can get while he can.  When he realises this is going to be the everyday affair perhaps he will slow down.  I assume you have had him checked for worms btw?

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
Hhahahahahaha, just seen the Wikipedia thingy Leigh, very apt indeed as he has a backside like a cow  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
Treat balls so they play and snack work at our house :wow:

I'm going to get some at the weekend I think, he loves to chase and play so reckon these could work really well  :wow:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »
Hi hun,

So pleased that Poot has settled in so well.

As you know Alfie's the major food-consumer in my household. When I adopted him and then Frankie he was content with a pouch in the morning and a pouch in the evening and biscuits 24/7 and he was aged about 2 at the time. This has now grown into 24/7 biscuits available and, on average, 3 pouches a day. I feed him a pouch in the morning but in the evening he usualy gets through another two, one when I get in and one before bedtime. He has always been food-orientated, when he's not eating he is either dreaming about eating or thinking about new ways to "cajole" more food from me (and Val). I try and do 1/2 pouches for the boys at a time to spread the cost and make the meals smaller and more frequent.

Alfie is very persuasive and clever at getting me to feed him. He has quickly learned that Val is a good alternative food-provider when I am not around :). I was so tired last night and slept all through the night, which I vary rarely do, so much so that he couldn't wake me at 5 and Val told me he tried every trick in the book to get me up before moving on to sit on her until she got up and fed them both :), clever boy. Frankie on the other hand never pesters for food, he just waddles up when he hears the bowl being put down, eats his fill and waddles back to lay down for a nap, the nly exception being his sliced chicken treat in the evening which he stands by the fridge door and waits for :).

Cheers hun, hugs to Poot

xx Leigh  

Edit: I tried treat balls, Alfie smashes them against a wall until they break open and then whoof up the contents in one go :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poot
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:19:51 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
Treat balls so they play and snack work at our house :wow:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
I'm conscious I don't want to over feed him, but don't want him to be hungry either lol!

Or he could just be plain greedy like Oscar  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »
Oscar is greedy - nothing wrong, just greedy - eats his AGAIL, then moves on to what Tilly has left then over to Star's corner and her plate of royal canin - just greedy lol!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Poot is just so greedy!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
As you know we've had Poot about 5 weeks now.

He's only my second cat, so I really only have my experiences with Max to go on so far.  Max was very laid back with food, he'd graze on his wet and dry food throughout the day, and I'd often have to throw some of the wet away where he'd not wanted it.

Poot on the other hand, is a complete food monster!!!!!  He's probably still getting used to the fact that he has a regular food supply now, but as soon as the food goes down, he stuffs it all in one go, then follows you round expecting more.

At the moment he gets a few biscuits in the morning with a pouch of AGAIL or Whiskas.  Then he gets another pouch when I get home, sometimes Natures Menu, sometimes Felix again, with an other handful of biscuits before we go to bed.

However, he does not graze at all, and I think if I fed him 5 pouches a day he'd still eat them, and still be saying he's hungry!???

On days when he's really pesking, he does get another pouch, half at about lunchtime if J is in, then another top up later.

Is this because he's still so young (about 2 we think) and expending lots of energy, so needing to eat lots?

Or is just a little fatboy!?

He's been sick once where I think he eat food way too quickly, (think there was a bit of a furball as well), but no other issues.  He was wormed at the vets as well, so can't think that's a problem?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:42:57 AM by clarenmax »

Link to CatChat