Author Topic: WSPA NORWEGIAN WHALING PETITION  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: WSPA NORWEGIAN WHALING PETITION
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 13:17:39 PM »
I'm really sorry I missed this one - it's something that I feel really angry about

Oh poop.....me too  :-[

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »
check with the wspa website every so often dawn, they often have petitions going and they really get results across the world  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
I'm really sorry I missed this one - it's something that I feel really angry about

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:09:26 PM »
Norway’s Government has announced that it has caught and killed 592 whales in the 2007 whaling season. We set up a petition that lasted 25 days - that‘s the equivalent to 1 whale every hour for 25 days.

The petition is now closed.

Thank you very much for your support for our campaign against Norway’s whaling. 10,698 people from around the world have signed in just 25 days which is a phenomenal response!

We’ll be presenting this figure to the Norwegian government and will let you know their response.

Background

As the Norwegian government starts to consider whaling quotas for 2008, we will have a petition live for 25 days. When the 25 days are up the we will take the petition to the Norwegian government to make the anti-whaling lobby’s voice heard.

The latest figures mean that 8,106 whales have been killed by the country since the 1986 international whaling ban.

Our Programme Manager for Marine Mammals - Claire Bass - said: “In the last 21 years Norway has killed over 8,000 whales – 8,000 whales which should have been protected by the 1986 international whaling ban. Even by the Norwegian government’s own optimistic assumptions 1 in 5 of these animals will have suffered long and painful deaths, some taking an hour to die.”

“Norway is civilized, progressive and environmentally aware; there’s simply no place for an outdated inhumane practice like whaling. We’re looking to Prime Minister Stoltenberg to follow the example set by Iceland and set a zero quota for 2008.” Last month the Icelandic government, the only other country that sanctions commercial whaling, decided not to issue any more commercial whaling quotas until market demand for whale meat improves.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 17:29:00 PM »
Signed ... bumping this up.

Use the link in hOrZa's post.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 16:36:28 PM »
yep link broken here too

try here :- http://www.wspa.org.uk/norway

only 2 Days left to sign be quick
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 15:20:12 PM »
In this modern age I really do not know why somewhere like Norway still wants to slaughter whales. I had trouble getting link so went to wspa site and signed there. Thanks for raising this issue.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
WSPA NORWEGIAN WHALING PETITION
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 18:25:24 PM »
 Now WSPA is tuning its attention to Norway, which has this year has killed 592 whales. That’s one whale every hour for 25 days.

You can show your opposition to the cruelty by signing our petition.

We’re dedicating an hour of petition time to every whale killed. When the 25 days are up we will take the petition to Prime Minister Stoltenberg.

Norway believes that there is little opposition to their whaling: help us show them otherwise.

http://www.advocacyonline.net/eactivist/user/userC.jsp?13707&EXAMIN=1

Link to CatChat