Author Topic: Please sign - Freya, English Mastiff shot dead by police  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Please sign - Freya, English Mastiff shot dead by police
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 18:23:01 PM »
I had  to speak to a local dog rescue today and they are going to pass the website link on to people.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »
Have signed.......this is truelyy apalling  >:( >:( >:(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »
That is so sad, I've signed but like Dave am lost for words.

RIP Freya, you'll safe at the Bridge sweetheart  :'(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
I have signed it and made a comment - The police fail to do the job they should be doing which is PROTECTING society. Someone needs to be accountable for killing this poor dog - I hope this gets on the news and the police can be shown up for the scum they are. I will forward this to animal lovers and ghope everyone else does.

RIP poor innocent Freya.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 00:56:42 AM »
Signed, but I couldn't think of a comment - words failed me.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Please sign - Freya, English Mastiff shot dead by police
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 00:05:10 AM »
An English Mastiff called Freya was lost on the 22nd of May 2007.

She had just come into season and was being re-homed due to an child's allergy in her previous one. Startled by the new surroundings she got into a panic and ran. All the relevant authorities (including the police and Dog Warden) were notified in an attempt to aid her safe return.

Although there were a number of sightings, Freya was missing for a total of 18 days.  During one of the capture attempts made by her new owner and friends, she was tempted with food and cornered but, panicked at the last moment, pushed past the owners mother-in-law which resulted in slight injuries to the woman's face when her glasses broke.

This was a simple accident - she was NOT bitten - though some media reports made out Freya was a dangerous dog.
The facts do not support that - and we have confirmed that in discussion with their representatives.

After this incident the responsible owner contacted the police for their help in finding Freya, their response was to scramble the helicopter and the armed response unit to shoot his dog. They denied the owner the right to try and catch his dog and would also not allow two dog wardens who were present to try a close capture of Freya.

The police sent the angry Dog Wardens away and instead chose to have Freya shot. Dead.

If - like us - you think the action of the Police was excessive and wrong, please sign our online petition via the link
given below. We cannot bring Freya back, but we can protest at this heavy-handed, violent and needless action.

http://www.police-shoot-dog.co.uk/

Link to CatChat