Author Topic: Legal Chicken Lib 2008 - An APPEAL to you all.  (Read 3065 times)

Offline faye at pawprints

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
    • pawprints animal rescue
Re: Legal Chicken Lib 2008 - An APPEAL to you all.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 21:01:14 PM »
hi,

i have forwarded the info to a friend who is a vet nurse and likes chickens, she may take some :)

faye  :)

(photo is of weeny cookie - she's a lovely grown up girl now).
faye @ pawprints animal rescue
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 22:25:04 PM »
There is a program on next with with jamie oliver showing the plight of battery hens. I refuse to by eggs in supermarkets... from battery hens. I know that sometimes they say "barn eggs" but its just as bad.

I get mine from the corner shop where they are locally produced as free range.. and have the name of the farm on them...

Not sure if i can help, but if Pinkbear can drive that way i am willing to assist with some admin type of job to help them.. Just a thought!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 20:02:50 PM »
I think they made the current caging system illegal but not for another 10 years or something because the poor "farmers" need time to make improvements  :tired:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
Maybe I misread it but I thought all battery egg production was going to be banned in this country soon?  :-: I know that there are several groups who have been rescuing and rehoming battery hens successfully for years in this country. I heard a radio 4 piece about it recently.

I would love to be involved in this as it's always been a plan to get some chickens at some stage. It's a shame that I'm unlikely to be able to have some of these as my present garden isn't suitable.  :(

Still... maybe they can use someone used to driving large vehicles on the day? I shall email them!  :)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 22:27:16 PM »
If they are ex-battery hens they will need special accommodation - they suffer extreme agoraphobia if just placed in a paddock. Their toenails will be overgrown and need clipping, gradually so that the 'quick' retracts until you get them back to normal length. They will not have feathers so will need to be housed indoors in this weather, in a properly weatherproof shed. Access to the outside should be supervised and of short duration until they gain confidence. Sorry, I have been through this process several times, and it does need care and attention - a lot of well-intending people just stick them in the hen-run thinking they will love it, but it is deeply traumatic for them. And no, I have  afox over the back fence so am not tempting fate by putting up my hand.

Good luck with them - they will be good layers for at least another 3 years and will continue laying irregularly after that!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 22:17:18 PM »
 :Crazy: 13500!!!! Blimey ... I assume they are ex battery hens who have reached the end of their sad little battery lives  ( which means they are probably about two years old and perfectly capable of producing alot more eggs :(  )

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Legal Chicken Lib 2008 - An APPEAL to you all.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 22:02:32 PM »
We have the opportunity to legally liberate 13,500 chickens in July (near Brighton).

We desperately need homes for them. Please please let us know if you can help us.
Whether it is 1, 10 or 100 we would love to hear from you.

We also need boxes vehicles and drivers and donations and folk to help on the days as well. As soon as we have the dates we will send them out.

If you can help please contact Brighton Animal Action

htttp://www.brightonanimalaction.org
info@brightonanimalaction.org

Please post this where ever you can - myspace, emails, forums, Message Boards etc.

Many thanks.

Link to CatChat