Author Topic: Greater London Authority's idea of humane!!! - Poor Pigeons :(  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Greater London Authority's idea of humane!!! - Poor Pigeons :(
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 00:34:39 AM »
We used to go to London all the time when I was a kid (well I lived in London anyway) - one of the highlights was buying an aerosol top full of seed for the pigeons for 2p. They were as much a part of London as red buses. I was thinking about this yesterday as we have a pigeon problem here. Surely they could have put some kind of hormone in the feed to sterilise them? - Ken Livingstone is an idiot  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 15:26:45 PM »
That's very sad and cruel  :(

I first went to London when I was 8, I loved feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square, it was one of the highlights of my day  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 15:13:53 PM »
That is very sad indeed, I enjoy feeding the pigeons on the seafront in fact I enjoy feeding all birds.  Having never been to Trafalgar Square I have not had the pleasure of feeding the Trafalgar Square pigeons.  What these poor birds have been subjected to is not humane how can it be?

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Greater London Authority's idea of humane!!! - Poor Pigeons :(
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 15:07:28 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7149362.stm

Vigil for square's 'dead pigeons' 

It is illegal to feed birds in Trafalgar Square
A group fighting to save the remaining pigeons in Trafalgar Square has held a candlelight vigil for the 2,500 birds it claims have starved to death.
Earlier this month, the Pigeon Action Group (PAG) said post-mortem tests showed the animals were starving.

It said a ban on feeding the pigeons, introduced by London Mayor Ken Livingstone in 2003, was to blame.

A spokesman for the Greater London Authority (GLA) said measures to reduce pigeon numbers were humane.

PAG held the vigil on the north terrace of the squareon Tuesday lighting candles for the 2,500 birds it claims have starved to death.

Empty gizzards

In October PAG sent five dead pigeons found in the square to the Veterinary Laboratories Agency's laboratories in Suffolk.

It found them to be in "poor bodily condition" and said the "gizzard of all birds was empty".

It became illegal to feed birds in the main square in 2003, but a loophole allowed protesters to continue to feed pigeons and other birds on the north terrace.

This loophole was closed by Westminster City Council in September and since then pigeon numbers are thought to have dropped to between 300 and 400.

Homing instinct

PAG claims that in 2002 a flock of about 4,500 birds occupied the square.

Julia Fletcher of PAG said: "While the mayor is reporting that the programme to reduce the birds is working well, the reality is that these birds have been subjected to a long, agonising death by starvation."

She said the birds' homing instinct meant they would not go elsewhere for food and the group wants a designated feeding area set up in the square.

A spokesman for the GLA said: "The measures to reduce the feral pigeon population in Trafalgar Square and make the square more pleasant and hygienic for public use have been done in a humane way."

Link to CatChat