Author Topic: Advice needed on feeding sickly kitten (from Cat Chat)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline catcuddles

• Adult Cat
    • Bexley Cats Protection
Re: Advice needed on feeding sickly kitten (from Cat Chat)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:13:41 AM »
Thanks Gill
I posted an update on cat chat; great advice.  i ll be letting everyone know how things go soon. I ve done to much for him to give up now... I m sure he is stronget than that... :thanks:
I m beat and off to bed now... :tired:
Evina
Volunteer cat fosterer & cat carer
Mum to Tristan (greyhound) and Zouzouna (yorkie)
CATS PROTECTION BEXLEY
www.bexleycatsprotection.co.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 00:33:37 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

The advise posted below is from our expert with kittens so good luck and hope he grows to be a big fella  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 18:53:43 PM »
Hello Catcuddles and  :welcome: to Purrs. Well done for finding this thread!  I drew Teresas attention to your enquiry on CatChat and she has posted on there, but I know she is out rescuing some ferals, so I will take the liberty of cross-posting her advice here:

Hi [E]
As he is 4 weeks old I would try to get him lapping, a little kitten food mixed in with some of the milk feed to make a thick soup,feed it slightly warm and off your fingers,you may have to open kittens mouth and push a small amount in until he gets the taste of it. Try getting both kittens to lap as the more the bigger one takes the less hungry he will be and smaller one can get more of mothers milk.
Is kitten moving around now as much as the bigger one?
I really think you should take both kittens to your vet for a check up, in my book every life is worth fighting for.
Has the vet checked him recently to see if there are any abnormalities? What does he weigh now?Good Luck will check in later, just off out on a rescue now so apologies for hasty reply
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline catcuddles

• Adult Cat
    • Bexley Cats Protection
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 18:43:40 PM »
Hello all, I have been fostering a kitty mum and her two kittens born by c-section as she was found heavily pregnant and bleeding (dont know if she lost any more kittens) a month ago. I have had them since they were 2 days old and mum has enough milk for the two and seems attentive. The one of the two kittens, TG, has been poorly since about one week old, and I noticed was not eating enough, was sleepy and sluggish in movement and didnt much care to move. I called the rescue, took him to my vet then the rescue's vet two days later and both confirmed that I should supplement with cat milk so I have been bottle feeding since then. So far (kittens are 4 weeks tomorrow) he has survived is better but only just. His brother, Tux, is double his size and has already started playing hide-and-seek and has been bullying his weak brother since the beginning. The strong one has always been very forceful seeking out a teat (or both!) for mum's milk.
I have also dewormed them both at 2 weeks (with liquid kitten dewormer) after vet suggested it may help and have been checking his poo which is yellowy and soft but not runny, with no signs of visible worms at the moment (looks quite normal).
He is not an easy eater, and I have been lucky to get him to have an average of 15ml total per day spread out in several feedings.
Would you recommend anything else, or do you have experience of such a fussy eating poorly kitten who eventually pulled through? Do you have any suggestions?
I just need to know that he stands a chance and I am not torturing the poor thing by feeding it while it does not seem to enjoy more than 4-5ml per day (too little for a 4 week kitten) and the rest seems like a drag!
Evina
Volunteer cat fosterer & cat carer
Mum to Tristan (greyhound) and Zouzouna (yorkie)
CATS PROTECTION BEXLEY
www.bexleycatsprotection.co.uk

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Advice needed on feeding sickly kitten (from Cat Chat)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 17:07:10 PM »
In the Health & Behaviour section on Cat Chat, there is an enquiry from someone about feeding a little kitten.  Could anyone give her the benefit of their experience?  The thread is called 'Help please, 4 week kitten is still poorly'.

:thanks:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat