Author Topic: Introducing cat-chasing dog to our new cats.  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Introducing cat-chasing dog to our new cats.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 18:05:22 PM »
Of Course the other option's are " TAKE DOG to a DOGGY SCHOOL "

OR " TAKE KITTY'S TO KARATE CLASSES "

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 18:21:08 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 16:11:42 PM »
Ah cat and dog piccie time  ;)

I think the big problem your gonna have is cos the dog in question dos'nt live with you this is gonna take longer to acheive.....If your neighbours live close then get them to pop over with the dog (on leash) for short visits at first progressing it to longer....the main thing is to be calm as the animals will all be able to pick up on your mood.....you have to also consider the cats reactions....even though nearly all of mine get on with dog (2 dont bother) there was still alot of hissing, spitting etc till they got to know him....patience is the key....Good Luck  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 16:42:02 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 13:30:42 PM »
Like Blackcat has said Introduce them in a controlled envoiroment, it may take a bit longer as dog has been taught to
get wound up by the word C.a.t.s.  >:( but if the dog has been well trained i.e. (humans are the master) and will do
what it's told, it wont be impossible. once the dog accepts new Furbabes and calmes down in thier presence, the
Fear will be removed from the cats, although the dog will always chase Strange cats( think it's a built in urge to chase
small beast's) It will soon Learn to leave new Furry's alone " the two parties also learn very quickly about each others
body language " i.e. when to play or stay away !!
Kirsty and gyp were like this at the begining, but as Photo depicts(they were in the stage of old age by then) they
Had a great Rapport going till the end..
it was the same with Prince, but it was easier with him cause he was a still a puppy..

Hope this help's and good luck !!!
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 19:35:32 PM »
Our first cat came into a house full of dogs who hated cats. We introduced them through the flyscreen door (one that had lots of grill work as well as the wire mesh> Dog on the outside, cat on the inside. We stroked the cat and spoke gently to the dog, and after weeks of persistence she (the dog) finally worked it out. She was a pretty smart dog though. Her way of looking at the world was 'my cats, good. Other cats, bad' so she still chased cats, just not the ones who lived in the house...

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Introducing cat-chasing dog to our new cats.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 19:30:27 PM »
We have just adopted 2 cats, Basil and Oliver ( working names, could change!) Basil is 1 and Ollie is 2, they came from a rescue shelter here in France. Our friend and close neighbour has a dog and they come over nearly every day for a visit plus we dog-sat for a week recently when his parents were on holiday. So, we like both the dog and owners. The problem is that the dog's dopey Dad, has encouraged the dog to react to cats, he gets in a tizzy just at the word! :censored: Because I knew we would be getting cats soon, I have always made it clear that the dog will need to learn manners or will be banned from the house! Can anyone suggest how we can rehabilitate the dog so that we can still have him come into the house? :help:

Link to CatChat