Author Topic: Milo senior puss blind in one eye but has toilet problems, any ideas?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Have you tried him in a BIG tray.  Not sure where you would get one but they must be available.  If he has lots of room there is more chance he won't miss.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_accessories/cat_litter_litter_boxes/with_hood/19584
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Poor boy, he sounds like Kocka.  I do hope someone nice will love him and give him a home.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Hi al
Milo is giving me sleepless nights! I dont want to see the poor fellow in a pen for months on end.. All the organisation i have approached have said they cannot help and i am not abit lost... He just wants a nice open garden to live out his days...I get the feeling that some organisations i have approached feel i should of agreed to have him PTS, but his just old and senile and still has a good quality of life.  Trouble is our fosterers are now away on holidays soon and pretty soon i will have no where for him to go....August is a bad time of year...

This is from his foster home..
Milo still eats well (and poos!) but is still confused.  He can see and hear a little, and probably has no sense of smell.  He doesn’t recognise his litter tray (scored a direct hit once, but that was more chance than anything else).  Once you put his food bowl next to his mouth, he eats it all up.  But if he wanders off half way through he rarely finds it again.

He is very gentle, and purrs and pads the moment you stroke him.  He particularly likes being tickled behind ears, under chin etc.  I think he gets very little stimulation from the outside world, so he really appreciates any little bit of physical contact he gets.

I think he would be a perfect puss for someone who has an enclosed garden who lives at home and who likes a challenge!  I’m sure he would be happy to be curled up on someone’s lap for most of the day, and he would just need to be put outside (or placed on a litter tray) once or twice a day.  I think it wouldn’t be too hard to establish a routine for him – we just have to find someone with the time to do it.[/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 20:00:30 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
The vets thought they had tracked owners but they never came forward to claim him, but rang up instead to have him PTS.

Isn't it sad how many times that does happen.

Perhaps the best type of home would be one where there was a cat safe garden and a conservatory (which would possibly be easier to clean) with a cat flap. When the family is around and could keep a close eye on him  perhaps he could have access to the lounge etc. I know it is not ideal but better than nothing.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Milo senior puss blind in one eye but has toilet problems, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »
We took in Milo a black puss of senioir years 13+ (?) about 3 wks ago, found wondering in a back garden in Wingham Kent, He was thought to of been involved in RTA, found and takent to vets (out of hours) where he was found to be blind in one eye, old but not to bad....The vets thought they had tracked owners but they never came forward to claim him, but rang up instead to have him PTS... We were informed and took  him on... Milo is old, now doubt abit it.  He can see out of one eye okay but the over is cloudy......He oddles attention and purrs for Englands, he dosnt do much except that all day... The trouble is he makes a mess everywhere when he goes to loo and never seems to remember where the tray is........He is in an outside pen and already been checked out by the vets and no problems other then he is an old boy who has a short memory..........Of course this is a huge problem for rehoming him.........It hasnt got any better since we have had him in.....We have now given him a outside run via cat flap where he can go outside and go to loo, but inside his pen he get very confused.........He is dear old fellow, but i cannot even begin to work out how we are going to tackle rehoming him...............Outside life is perhaps fine in Summer but not in winter and he so loves attention, our fosterer taking care of him now feels abit bad that he isnt getting enough.........He does seem to "go" at regularly times and will make an effort if you put him on the try, otherwises it is just hapazard.......He eats okay, as long as you show him where the food is and dont move the plate around too much....

A real problem..................but vets agree and we tend to that it is all age related..........

Any thought, or anyone had experience of similar situtiion.

My do we have a mottelly sorts of cats in at the moment..........

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:03:07 AM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat