Author Topic: moving house...twice :(  (Read 1938 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: moving house...twice :(
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »
At the time i had 2 cats and circumstances caused me to moved regularly between 2007 & 2009 and since 2003 I had moved a total of 8 times  :-[
Each cat coped differently - but i found that as long as it was our things (furniture etc) and of course us they coped. Tazi was happy after a week (well...a few hours if he got his own way :rofl:) & nuggyie a bit longer...but even he accepted the moves quicker as time went on.
You know your cats and you'll know if you can let him out in the temporary accomodation.
On gut intinstict, he'll most likely be fine..nosy, but fine  ;D ;D
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 20:18:53 PM »
Hi

I don't know anything about Bert but our old cat moved into my in-law's house with us when we moved for about 3 months then she moved with us out to Italy she was 13 a the time and was absolutely fine. I was a nervous wreak but it's amazing how well they cope. She went out at my in laws house after about a week. Just kept her in one room first then gradually let he into the rest of the house. Our cat was very much attached to us so even though my in-laws house was only a 5 min walk away she never tried to go back to our old house.   

Good luck with your move and Bert.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 19:39:15 PM »
I would definately keep him as long as possible, hope all goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
moving house...twice :(
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 19:28:05 PM »
More great advice/reassurance needed  :shy:
Our house has sold after some time on the market and the buyers are keen to get in; we don't want to lose them.
Unfortunately we have been unable to find anywhere to buy so will be moving to a rental for probably 6 - 8 months, maybe longer, then into the house that we will buy.
I'm so worried about Bert and how he will adapt, but we have no choice. The properties will all be far enough away from each other to stop him trying to return when we eventually let him out.
Just wondered if anyone had any experience and could make me feel better about it all. Also don't know if i shouldn't let him out at all in the middle property, this might make it easier although he would hate being kept in for that long. Thanks  :(

Link to CatChat