Author Topic: Overgrooming and resulting sore patch  (Read 1849 times)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: Overgrooming and resulting sore patch
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 18:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Thankfully (*touch wood*) the patch seems to have 'plateaued', as in I think its got as big and as sore as I think its going to (bit worse than the picture).  Its scabbing up round the edges and she seems to be less bothered by it.

That's the thing with a collar - it would sit right on the sore patch!

She'll be back at the vet in not very long for some thyroid treatment anyway so they'll see it.  I might mention the thought about an allergy to whatever they used to clean it though.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 15:32:28 PM »
Helen's reply made me wonder whether your cat may have had an allergic reaction to the surgical spirit used prior to taking the blood, so she felt itchy and licked the area, making it sore. If this is the case, your vet could give you some steriod cream for the area. But best to see the vet again first.

The problem with an E collar is that cats hate them and it might rest on the sore patch.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 17:30:17 PM »
Poor baby, looks sore :care:

I'm sure you can get a sort of antispetic cream for cats (think most human ones are poisonous to cats) but can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Sorry, not helpful I know but you could ask th evet if there is a soothing type cream she could have.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 13:59:10 PM »
Maybe put an Elizabethan collar on her, but she won't like it. You'd need to see your vet about one.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Overgrooming and resulting sore patch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 17:16:58 PM »
Hi all

Silvie recently had a blood test which necessitated her getting a small area under her chin shaved.  Since then she has been licking it a lot and has extended the patch into a hirless and sore-looking patch.  I wasn't too worried to start with as she did the same thing after her blood test last year but it's gone on longer this time and is showing no signs of easing up - and has resulted in a bigger and more sore-looking bald patch!

Going to try and attach a picture -

Not sure if you can see, but the shaved patch extends under her chin - thats the bit she hasn't managed to lick and the fur is growing back in.  The bottom section is raw, bald and sore-looking but the skin doesn't appear to actually be broken. 

I did show it to the vet when we were there last week but we weren't sure what we could do about it and it didn't look as bad then.  Do any of you have any suggestions?  Is antibiotic the way to go or is there some kind of cream that might help?  She doesn't do the overgrooming thing at any other time - only when she gets shaved for her blood tests.  I'm guessing it just starts with the itch of the fur growing back which then irritates the skin and perpetuates the itch.

Poor wee Silvie, she looks a right mess!

Link to CatChat